Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG or Manual ED30?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline AaronMc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
DSG or Manual ED30?
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:56:00 pm »
Well im in the market for one at the moment after driving one at work the other day. I work for VW as a technician..

I loved driving the DSG one, and had alot of fun with the paddle shifts, however im not sure wether thats the best option or a manual one is?

I have always had manual cars, but do quite fancy an Automatic anyway, its just the cost of repair that puts me off the DSG. Has anyone had major issues with DSG?

Also I read that when remapping the ED30, if its a DSG the gearbox isnt rated enough to take the extra torque from the map, whereas the Manual would be?

If someone could clear it all up for me and offer opinions etc, it would be much appreciated!

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Re: DSG or Manual ED30?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:27 pm »
I believe with a remap the dsg box can handle plenty of power... Whereas the manual you'll need an uprated clutch anything over stage 1 if my experiences are anything to go by... Budget 1100 for uprated clutch fitted...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:04:52 pm »
For you I would get a DSG.  If you always had manual at least you will know if you get a DSG and it's also my understanding they are better with the power. Mine's DSG I don't regret it.

Offline AaronMc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:19:41 pm »
Hmm DSG is what im swaying towards, its the option of still having the paddles I loved, and it makes it feel so sporty to drive.. So the DSG still handles a remap fine? Does it spin up randomly in upper gears though as I read someone had spin in 4th on a motorway..

Can't wait to get my hands on one now though, hoping to get a highish spec one and get a RNS510 installed if it doesnt already have it!

Offline EddieA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 04:34:17 pm »
i have a dsg, and i am definately biased, you should get a dsg... they are sporty and fun to drive like you have said, yet i go through stages of using the gearstick to change rather than the pedals... i always drive mine in manual mode as i am still childish and like to make it pop and bang.... :D

the dsg does handle a remap really well, i have driven both dsg and manual cars of similar bhp and i have to say the dsg just seems to handle the power better.

i have an eddy and it currently on superchips stage 2 and made 293 bhp on rtechs rollers 2 weeks agos, i have found that it does spin up into 3rd if your really booting it, but its all about being smooth with the power. i am also getting a stage 2 dsg remap soon which will also vastly improve the dsg box.

sounds like you have good plans for it, now just to source one. you wont regret it
Edition 30 TTE420 - number 470 - RTech 418bhp and 391lbft

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:48:12 pm »
The old Manual vs DSG argument has been had many a time on here.

I'd recommend doing a search as this thread will end up going like this:

1) few people saying their thoughts (current stage)
2) someone will slate DSG
3) someone with DSG will retaliate
4) will go on like that for a bit
5) RedRobin will post a picture

And at the end of it all, your non the wiser  :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 04:49:49 pm »
I have a stage 2 Ed30 DSG currently (316bhp), had the DSG remap done at R-Tech and makes a huge difference, on std dsg gearbox you will be limited to around 290ft/lb of torque due to box limitations, as soon as it's mapped tho it handles MUCH more and holds gears!.

Also drove a manual Ed30 today and liked it also, drive both and you choose  :happy2:

I have loved my DSG for the last 14 months and will miss it when it goes  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:53 pm »
i got a manual.

get a dsg...quicker off the mark
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline AaronMc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 04:55:01 pm »
Brilliant thanks all..

Was just to get a rough idea of what people think of them, as although I work for VW as a tech, its not oftn you are driving ED30,R32's etc.. Its alot of 1.4 DSG or 2.0TDi's etc.. But the chance I did get in one the other day really did put a smile on my face, and that was just driving it sensibly as its a customers vehicle.

Really cant wait to find one, not going to rush though, i want a nice one!

Ideally would love Candy White, but they seem quite hard to find! Looking to spend around £11,000 so hopefully will find a nice one for that..

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 04:59:59 pm »
I have a DSG. I love it. Mechanically it'll be fine on a high power Eddy, but you might need to remap it to get the full potential. Even at very high Revo prices a DSG remap will be cheaper than changing a manual clutch, which will almost certainly be necessary on a remapped Eddy.

In terms of driving experience, I feel the DSG has all the advantages of a manual with none of the drawbacks. People who prefer manuals will say they feel uninvolved. The only way to find out which camp you're in is to extensively drive them both
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline AaronMc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 05:27:02 pm »
Yeah i'll try and get a drive in a similar model at work if I can, or just road test a sales vehicle..

DSG is very tempting for me, just for the fun factor and for a change really.. Just need to know its been serviced regular, and has the DSG Oil Change etc on time, if not I can do it myself obviously, but would rather its been done on time as it should be..

Now to find one!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:37:06 pm »
Wonders which picture RR will post lmao...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:33 pm »

5) RedRobin will post a picture

And at the end of it all, your non the wiser  :grin:
:grin: :signLOL:

i drove a manual mk4 gold as my first car, moved on to a DSG GTI last year and I'm never turning back to manual. just effortless fun and i do not regret getting DSG one single bit. sports mode is fun as hell and when you want to take control just nock the gearstick sideways and you can control it... kind of.
 it still drops you down gears to match road speed and won't let you shift up until you are at an appropriate speed. thats my only dig at DSG.

im 22 years old btw and do lot of town driving, just to give my post a bit of background.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »
^ a DSG remap will give you complete control (I'm led to believe)  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »
Yeah i'll try and get a drive in a similar model at work if I can, or just road test a sales vehicle..

DSG is very tempting for me, just for the fun factor and for a change really.. Just need to know its been serviced regular, and has the DSG Oil Change etc on time, if not I can do it myself obviously, but would rather its been done on time as it should be..

Now to find one!

Just brought a Edition 30 dsg and have to say I just love driving it! :smiley:
I was also worried about issues u read about with the dsg box but so long as its well looked after you should have no issues! I'm getting my dsg oil changed soon just for peace of mind.