Make a donation

Author Topic: motocross bikes...  (Read 551 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
motocross bikes...
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:03:22 pm »
Im looking at getting my first motocross bike  :pomppomp: im looking at a kx125 kawasaki, im not looking at spending more than 500 for my first bike as we all know what will happen!
Does anyone have any advice  in regards as were to look? are there any big motox heads on here with some beasts!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: motocross bikes...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:43:15 pm »
Buying the bike is the cheap part, the running and maintaining is the expensive bit. I've had them since I was 6 years old and apart from my first bike which was a Yamaha, I've always had Kawasaki's. We currently have a KX125 which has a KTM kit on it to make it 144cc

Have a search about the net for a good forum, especially as your just starting out. They take quite a bit of looking after but are brilliant fun. With regards to buying one, try and get one as new as you can, especially with a smaller budget and try and get a go on it if you can

Where you planning on riding?!

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »
What he said! 2 strokes are animals if you are not used to a motorcross bike! A 4 stoke is a lot more user friendly as you can ride it with low down grunt and no arm ripping off like a 2 stroke where you have to ring its neck all the time. But with your budget your only guna be able to fund a 2 stroke. Either way make sure you have good injury insurance as iv had my fair share of crashes and its not fun!
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:40:06 am »
Kawasaki's are great moto-x bikes, had lots of them over the years, started on a KX80, then a KX100 big wheel, KX125 and finished up with a KX250, apart from drinking fuel and using quality 2 stroke oil, you should be OK, look out for nackered piston rings as this is the most common issue, I used to get mine rebuilt at least once per year (usually twice with a seasons racing/practice), I like the 4 strokes, but you cannot beat the sound or "Powerband" of a 2 stroke  :jumpmove:

A KX125 is a good bike to start with, but if your a bigger guy I would say go for the 250 as otherwise the 125 engine might struggle with your weight (This is the reason I went from a 125cc to 250cc, going from a skinny 17 year old to a grown 19 year old makes a difference  :happy2:

Regards injuries I was lucky, only a broken finger twice and a broken toe once (practicing in trainers!  :ashamed:) but my mates had plenty of injuries, wrists, legs and collarbones are most common  :smiley:

Get a good pair of boots that fit well and are comfy they make a big difference
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14