Make a donation

Author Topic: The cost of ed 30s  (Read 9035 times)

Offline paul_brad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
The cost of ed 30s
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:40:23 pm »
hi all,
in the market for an edition 30 possibly, and just wondered on what your take was on the price of them.

I realise they're more special than standard, but the cost of what most people are asking for them seems out of whack compared to standard GTIs. Do they actually sell for these prices?
Typically advertised up to and beyond 12k for 2007/2008 cars often. Is it just the initial hopeful proud seller moment, followed by reality check, or do they get bought and sold at these prices?

It seems strange that the cost-when-new price difference is kept or even increased when the car is worth less than half it's original value.

Do 25th mark 4's still do the same today? I remember looking at them a few years ago and decided I couldn't justify the extra.

Offline Bow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: The cost of ed 30s
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:50:10 pm »
I'm also looking one and found basically £10k-£12k will get you a hell of nice one. As for them being more expensive, you get what you pay for mate, better engine, turbo, looks, lot more tuneable and will defo keep good value if there kept clean, anything over £12k I think is excessive but defo worth that bit extra then standard GTI for sure. There a grey dsg one on here I want just a little of £ at minute soon I will have one

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »
To be honest, I think the people who think the Edition 30 is depreciation-proof are deluded.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:08 pm »
Being an ED30 owner my view may be somewhat "Rose Tinted" but i would suggest that with the VAG badge you do get some increase in price just for the badge. The GTI with its history too will give another addition to its cost . This together with the limited edition version of the ED30 adds upto quite an increase in what might be the perceived cost . You have to look at what else you could get with the Street Cred , performance and tunability for £9-13k . These are my extremes for a 90k 2007 plate to a 58 plate 30k miler. They will all be between these prices unless there are other reasons to be slightly higher or lower , like Cat D , added after market extras , like some you see. now i might get my head bitten off here but i would never buy a modified car unless all the original parts come with it and also the "How has it been driven" question hanging over the decision . Also the service history is of great importance so records of its history are a must , not just the stamp in the book but the invoice . Books can be stamped by anyone at any Vw Garage (virtually) and can add hundreds to the value .
I could sell mine now as i don't really use it , but i get such a buzz when i drive it that i cannot see me selling it yet . Also i would need to spend several thousand more on a 2010 S3 S4 Avant which is all i see myself having after this , the extra would be £6 - £15k ! Mines only done 20k (well it will have next week )
Well worth the extra i say and in 5 door it is so vesatile .
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:10:01 pm by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline paul_brad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 05:09:43 pm »
Yeah, just worried that justifying to myself that they're worth the extra with nice wheels, bumpers, half leather etc etc - is different to the reality of 'what they're actually worth' Which at the end of the day was 2k more on a £23k car.

Its also galling to pay £11k when you see Parkers rate them as being worth 9k ish.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:54 pm »
Glasses/Parkers etc are ok for Vectra/Mondeo/Micra/Focus type stuff but there are loads of them about . Easy to value , Limited Run stuff never really fits into their system. What is a couple of grand anyway when you will have what you want and a bit above what some book says you must pay . I know people who buy clothes (Designer Stuff) when its released in Summer/Autumn Ranges ie Gant/Ralph Lauren/Tommy Hilfiger etc and pay top dollar . Six months later you can get the same stuff for half the price...... Each to their own i say

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:21:01 pm »
Well the simplest solution is to try and purchase a nice one for very little money. I think you will find it harder than you think.

Having owned both a Gti and an Ed30 I can verify that the latter is a lot quicker and driveable than a standard GTi. It's nice to have that bit of exclusivity.

If you aren't too fussed about the extra cred and performance of the 30, then go a little the other way and get a nice TDi or even a Fiesta. What I'm trying to say is "yer pays yer money".

Offline paul_brad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »
Yes, understood - happy to pay in my own mind -

just wanted to be sure what people thought on 'true value' really and whether we're all being suckered into a premium that is artificially created.
No one wants to pay a special premium for something that in a few years time has crashed back to earth to normal standards is all.

Anyway, thanks for the input, appreciated!  :grin:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »
Having owned both a Gti and an Ed30 I can verify that the latter is a lot quicker and driveable than a standard GTi. It's nice to have that bit of exclusivity.

How is it more "driveable"? If anything I've found the standard GTI easier to drive in normal situations because the boost comes on earlier...

Offline 55golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »
i paid 7700 for a 5 door dsg ed30 80kmiles one owner good condition. to the trade an ed 30 is not worth that much

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:45:19 pm »
Don't give it to the trade is the easy answer . £7700 for an Ed30 mmm . Rather you than me :surprised:  :innocent:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:11 pm »
I preferred the 'look' of the ed30 over the stock GTI but I've been lucky in buying one that had lots of the ED30 bits already

From a look alone perspective (IE not pricing the engine upgrades) the ED30 bits are approx:

BBS Pescara Wheels - £600 (plus tyres)
Splitter - £150
Sills - £150
Rear lower bumper - £200
Seats and door cards - £800+
Gear shifter - £100 (if you can find one!)
Hand brake - £60
Steering wheel - £300
Rear lights - £180

Thats £2540+ painting just to make it LOOK the same.

Then engine upgrades for the GTI to ED30 spec are another couple of grand from what I understand.

If I hadn't found my GTI will most of the bits already fitted I would have waited for a good ED30 to come up as I thing the GTI looks too standard for my taste.

Is it going to hold it value more... no... is it worth its premium price... IMO... yes it justifies it in looks and performance.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »
had both the gti and edition 30 at one point and drove them back to back for three to four months until I sold the gti, the gti had revo stage 1 remap and drove like a dream hardly no lag and handled fine, excellent on b roads and bypass sprints, the edition 30 also stage 1 revo remap was not as lively low in the rev range due to the extra lag, but pulled like a train al the way to the red line, where the gti would run out off puff by 5400 rpm, interior and the wheels on the ed30 are better in my opinion, and also budget for a clutch if you map the ed30. Out of both cars if I had the choice again I would get a high spec gti and map it, just my opinion, hope this helps

Offline rob172cup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »
had both the gti and edition 30 at one point and drove them back to back for three to four months until I sold the gti, the gti had revo stage 1 remap and drove like a dream hardly no lag and handled fine, excellent on b roads and bypass sprints, the edition 30 also stage 1 revo remap was not as lively low in the rev range due to the extra lag, but pulled like a train al the way to the red line, where the gti would run out off puff by 5400 rpm, interior and the wheels on the ed30 are better in my opinion, and also budget for a clutch if you map the ed30. Out of both cars if I had the choice again I would get a high spec gti and map it, just my opinion, hope this helps

Me too but hey I'm a Volvo owner now ha ha

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 06:53:22 pm »
To be honest with the budget you have mentioned I'd push for a Pirelli!  :happy2: