Make a donation

Author Topic: Router advice BT  (Read 603 times)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Router advice BT
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:59:49 pm »
I have a BT homehub 2 on an ADSL connection

The router has been disconnecting itself and losing wifi signal several times a day over the last few weeks.

I have asked BT for a replacement but the only thing they have done is offer to sell me a homehub 3.

What's the best router out there at the moment? As I'm not willing to pay BT for a new router

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
Re: Router advice BT
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:03:51 pm »
I got a Netgear DGN3300 mate. Set me back about £115 or something, I upgraded from a home hub 2 and its been like night and day.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:47:59 pm »
Have you checked to see how many other local networks are using the same wireless channel as you?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 07:53:01 pm »
Have you checked to see how many other local networks are using the same wireless channel as you?

was about to advise this also  :happy2: You would be suprised how many othe wireless networks will be in your vacinity and chances are, they are causing really bad interference.

Rich

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:08:07 pm »
There's a programme out there called InSSIDer which will tell you all the networks out there.

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:23:18 pm »
Best router?

Well, I bought a ASUS RT-AC66U a few weeks ago, and now I've sorted my modem out, it's FOOKIN rocks, the range is silly good.  It's expensive but quality.

I have it in my garage and my mate 5 doors down can see it on his WIFI search, pmsl!
To OP: I'd check the simple things first...

1. Phone line... your master box into the house, all good? no loose connections, does main phone line work without crackling?
2. Modem/Router position... whack it straight onto your main incomer and test BB connection
3. Filters... get a new filter for your main line, these are notorouis for failing/drying out
4. All above good; do a ping test: http://pingtest.net/ and compare
5. Employ a pro to sort you out in 30 mins :)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »
I have ran inssder and changed the channel but some channels do now work with my iPhone or iPad.

Half the time it is the router losing wifi signal and a reset fixes it, then it's the box losing connection to the broadband.

Resetting the router works every time that there is a problem

All the filters in the house have been replaced two weeks ago, and there is no issues with crackling on the phone lines.

I had the same problems with the first bt homehub and the homehub 2 fixed everything but I am getting all the same problems 2 years later