Make a donation

Author Topic: How long does your car to warm up?  (Read 5783 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: How long does your car to warm up?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »
when i had all the trouble with my car last i was told of various turbo  company's that leaving  the car to idle to long can make the seals in the turbo  go as the oil just drains down the shaft but when your driving the oil gets sucked away to stop contaminating  the seals

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 09:28:55 pm »
I,ve been having the same problem, this year and last.  This year I took action. 

I had been wondering if the thermostat was getting a bit old, and not opening or closing as it should.  So I changed it today.  I don't know if its worked yet but I'll find out tomorrow when It starts from proper cold.

My drive to work is 10 miles with 70% of it at 60mph.  Mine usually hits 90 just as I arrive and other times doesn't go past 70.  It rises slowly to 70 then takes an age to get to 90.  Sometimes when normal driving it drops to 80-85.

I hope the new one makes a difference but I don't have high hopes, I've heard to golf just takes a while to warm up.  But maybe they've all got knackered thermostats  :signLOL:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 12:27:45 am »
The dropping from 90 could be a faulty smaller fan, and/or radiator leak, as mine had!?

Offline j dog

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 08:41:01 am »
Yep mine takes a while to warm up. I drive it straight from start up and it's parked in underground parking where it's never below 10 degrees. I've noticed my fuel economy is much worse when the engine is cold aswell. Is this all cars or just the Golf that are like this?