Make a donation

Author Topic: stage 1 or 2 ?  (Read 7592 times)

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
Re: stage 1 or 2 ?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »
My Story;

I went stage 1 made 289bhp(edition30). happy with it, but wanted a little more, so bought a Pipewerx 3" Downpipe with 200CEL sports cat and reducer pipe to oem catback and ITG panel filter... Clutch started slipping so bought/fitted a sachs 400lbft clutch and new dmf... was making 272bhp when rolling roaded, so had to get cat-back, apr pump and EVoms induction kit, made 309bhp, too much for the standard brakes, so added scirocco R front brakes, then was getting heatsoak so kept me at B8 on Revo stage 2, so had to get an intercooler s3 alloy one fitted and went stage 2+, which flies, but is too much for the engine mounts and suspension, so will be changing that in the new year...

So just take caution, the more you push one area of the car will highlight the next weakest link... feel I have been chasing my tail to get the car how I want it...

Want a quick car, go stage 1 and sort the suspension/brakes...

Quality post.
Probably less problematic on k03, as your only going to make stage 1 k04 numbers when maxing out the k03, but an extremely good post in tuning terms generally.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 09:40:23 pm »
My Story;

I went stage 1 made 289bhp(edition30). happy with it, but wanted a little more, so bought a Pipewerx 3" Downpipe with 200CEL sports cat and reducer pipe to oem catback and ITG panel filter... Clutch started slipping so bought/fitted a sachs 400lbft clutch and new dmf... was making 272bhp when rolling roaded, so had to get cat-back, apr pump and EVoms induction kit, made 309bhp, too much for the standard brakes, so added scirocco R front brakes, then was getting heatsoak so kept me at B8 on Revo stage 2, so had to get an intercooler s3 alloy one fitted and went stage 2+, which flies, but is too much for the engine mounts and suspension, so will be changing that in the new year...

So just take caution, the more you push one area of the car will highlight the next weakest link... feel I have been chasing my tail to get the car how I want it...

Thank you! What a brilliant post. This re-inforces my decision to fit the NQSBBK, ARB's and the Bilstein B12 Pro kit as my next mods.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »

Exactly as I have done on the Czech Machine. Engine mods are limited to just a Stage 1 map and the rest is brakes, coilovers, S3 hubs and arms. No fannying around and I wont go stage 2 on the IHI as I don't think it needs it. K04 maybe except that changes the whole profile of engine to a supercar chaser.

Offline mo5in

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
Thanks for all the great replys . My heart is saying go stage 2 but my head is all over the place lol .

I've got a Milltek cat back and a neuspeed p flo so just need a decat really for stage 2 I think .? If I buy a decat and still go stage 1 will the car run ok .? Or do you definitely need stage 2 with a decat .?

Handling mods I need to get around to doing as just had 4 new tyres put on wich put a little dent in the pocket but all is good cant wait for 2013. Btw Merry Christmas everyone.

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 06:05:24 pm »
Thanks for all the great replys . My heart is saying go stage 2 but my head is all over the place lol .

I've got a Milltek cat back and a neuspeed p flo so just need a decat really for stage 2 I think .? If I buy a decat and still go stage 1 will the car run ok .? Or do you definitely need stage 2 with a decat .?

Handling mods I need to get around to doing as just had 4 new tyres put on wich put a little dent in the pocket but all is good cant wait for 2013. Btw Merry Christmas everyone.

I think stage 1 with a decat will throw a CEL warning; stage 2 tune sorts that out.  Could be wrong.

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 09:18:37 pm »
As above stage 2 maps out the second lambda
Fun bags

Offline Raffe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 08:26:53 am »
Had the same stage 1 vs stage 2 dilemma with my car, then a 3" DP came up secondhand (not many available currently for MK6) which made my mind up and very pleased with the outcome.

Will agree with the other comments regarding modifying one thing which then highlights the next weakness in the chain and I am already thinking brakes and chassis mods to compliment the additional power on my car.

That said this is the fun of modding and as long as you go in with your eyes open you'll make the right choice and enjoy the process (most of the time  :laugh: )

Good luck  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 10:17:47 am »
Even I went to stage 1 first before moving on to stage 2+ ( Golf R ). As RR says, it is always wise to go for a basic map first and choose your tuner wisely ( based on reputation and forum advice). With a stage 1 map I would definitely advise upgrading the brakes even if it is just better discs and pads as they aren't up to the task IMHO. Upgraded suspension is a good idea, but again choose wisely and it is better to spend a little more on suspension than scrimp on it and have to pay out again shortly after.
Golf R gone.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »
I have never needed to upgrade my brake pads as I dont do track driving and dont brake last minute. I am an advanced driver with a stage 2+ K03 and have never had an issue stopping on the road at any speed.
I was stage 1 for about 18 months and went straight to stage 2+. I am on oe brakes and dampers with eibach lowering springs. The rest of the car is standard. The car still feels planted on the road plus I have saved myself a lot of money. I am not a big believer in doing x y and z to a car for the road. To push my car as it is beyond its limits you would have to do insane speeds and on a road you cant do that. On a track is a different matter altogether as its a different style of driving. One of the best mods is driver tuition.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »
. One of the best mods is driver tuition.
:congrats:
If not the best mod.
'07 Red manual

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 03:34:30 pm »

I have never needed to upgrade my brake pads as I dont do track driving and dont brake last minute. I am an advanced driver with a stage 2+ K03 and have never had an issue stopping on the road at any speed.

I was stage 1 for about 18 months and went straight to stage 2+. I am on oe brakes and dampers with eibach lowering springs. The rest of the car is standard. The car still feels planted on the road plus I have saved myself a lot of money. I am not a big believer in doing x y and z to a car for the road. To push my car as it is beyond its limits you would have to do insane speeds and on a road you cant do that. On a track is a different matter altogether as its a different style of driving. One of the best mods is driver tuition.

....I agree with you 100% about driver tuition and have done courses with Drivetrain (ex Police instructor) and CarLimits - Remap your brain, folks!  :happy2:

However, when there's no traffic about I do love a spirited drive where braking late and hard is great fun. Also, driving hard in the twisties and fast bends is where all the handling mods and Quaife diff come into play nicely.

You don't have to be doing insane speeds to get more from the Mk5 GTI's handling. But of course it's ETTO.

The OEM GTI has brakes and handling which are only designed to meet its stock performance. Once you up the power it's sensible to balance the car with braking and handling mods IMO. And quite apart from that, I'd rather have very strong brakes and not need them than need them and not have them when someone else does something unexpected. I reckon that in the 7 years I have had my car, the AP Racing brakes have saved me several times from other road users doing something stupid.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 03:56:00 pm »

You aren't trying hard enough! :driver: :signLOL:

Seriously though, It depends on how you drive and what limit of performance you use. I have always felt that the OEM brakes on a GTI have been lacking and any upgrade is always beneficial.
Driver tuition is also always a good idea. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline mo5in

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 06:32:40 pm »
Have made the decision hopefully only stage 1 for now. Have found a place close by to me who do custom remaps on the rolling road at a very good price.

http://www.masperformance.co.uk/about/

Anyone heard or used them ?

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 07:19:29 am »
Im considering a re map on my gti ko3, I will more than likely go for the stage 1 as im not after crazy power. As far as im aware it shouldn't effect the MPG too much when pottering around is this the case? Same question with stage 2 although i expect that to guzzle a lot more. Also what mods would you actually need for stage 2? I would have intake, exhaust, DV and probably an intercooler if it was needed, thanks.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 09:58:45 am »

Im considering a re map on my gti ko3, I will more than likely go for the stage 1 as im not after crazy power. As far as im aware it shouldn't effect the MPG too much when pottering around is this the case? Same question with stage 2 although i expect that to guzzle a lot more. Also what mods would you actually need for stage 2? I would have intake, exhaust, DV and probably an intercooler if it was needed, thanks.

....Firstly, A Warm Welcome to the forum (we are very good at spending your money on mods for your car!).  :happy2:

MPG won't be adversely effected except when you use the throttle and you are bound to use the throttle more when you first have the remap because you want to and need to explore your car's new found power and learn how best to safely drive it. Stage 2 is the same - It doesn't automatically effect your MPG.

Intake, exhaust, brakes and handling mods are in my opinion needed for Stage 2. You don't need an aftermarket (or Audi S3) intercooler unless you do lots of trackdays or go to Stage 2+. But personally I think it's wiser to stay at Stage 2 on a K03.

Introduce yourself and post pics of your car in the New Members Intro section  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!