Make a donation

Author Topic: Good deed done for the day... What would you have done?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Good deed done for the day... What would you have done?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 11:58:56 pm »

One day hopefully someone will do the same to me!

....Definitely! In my 65 years of roaming this planet I know this to be true: What goes around comes around. Help others and others (often different others) will help you.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 07:48:02 am »

I wouldn't feel guilty for accepting the reward either. The chap was probably so delighted to get his very expensive phone back, so 20 quid is a drop in the ocean compared to replacing that, let alone the hassle involved in getting a new one and the loss of data etc.

You could put it towards a mod for your motor to transfer the good luck to your car!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 10:48:39 am »
Well done, you saved him a lot of time, money and hassle...don't feel at all guilty about accepting the £20.

I was in a hostel in Majorca a few months ago. The gf was faffing around getting ready so I was studying the fire escape plan on the door of our room, as you do. Noticed a tiny piece of something poking out behind the plan...€50! Someone must have left it for safe keeping, but forgot about it. We had a slap up meal that night for free. :party:
'07 Red manual

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 02:25:27 pm »

I was in a hostel in Majorca a few months ago. The gf was faffing around getting ready so I was studying the fire escape plan on the door of our room, as you do. Noticed a tiny piece of something poking out behind the plan...€50! Someone must have left it for safe keeping, but forgot about it. We had a slap up meal that night for free. :party:

....Your patience with your GF was rewarded! Nice one!  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »
I found someone's iphone a couple of weeks ago and called up the number under 'home' and arranged to return it to them.  They were extremely grateful and left a bottle of wine a couple of days later on my doorstep.  Didn't occur to me to do anything other than return it to its owner - I couldn't live with myself not to.

A few years ago when I was a student I found £20 blowing about outside my halls - given I had lost £10 the day before I felt it was pre-emptive karma and kept it. Not much chance of finding the owner - I don't think I would go to the police station to report £20 missing.

Also when I was a student I was working in a petrol station and found an envelope with about £2k in it when sweeping the floor which I handed into the police station the next day.  Turns out the woman who had lost it had just withdrawn the money from her Christmas savings account and was about to go shopping with it.  She left a £100 reward for the police to give to me as a thank you - she thought her Xmas was ruined.  When it comes to that much money, there is no question about trying to find the original owner.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 02:33:18 pm »
Good on you OP, with all the depressing posts of cars being knocked into, keyed, and strange sex change incidents, it good to hear a nice story from all corners for a change.

Happy new year! :happy2: