Make a donation

Author Topic: How bigger wheels make your car rubbish - explained.  (Read 2182 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: How bigger wheels make your car rubbish - explained.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:08 am »

basically means feck all in a road going car. I'd hazard a guess that a good deal of enthusiasts pouring over the mass of their wheels could shed more weight from the vehicle by eating fewer pies if they're in search of performance gains  :grin:

....I don't agree. Although my car has done occasional trackdays I DO search for the apex of corners though always obeying the road markings and I DO have fun driving enthusiastically on the road when the conditions are safe enough to allow it.

You don't have to be driving at high mph speeds to have fun in a GTI.

The combination of lighter weight wheels and other handling mods significantly and noticably increase the feedback and make a GTI more tactile to drive. Alloys like the OZ Alleggerita's also better accommodate bigger brakes and deliver better brake ventilation.

What you are saying about tubby pie eaters has some relevance but is far more relevant to sport such as riding uphill on pedal bikes. IIRC my race bike only weighed 17lbs but I weighed nearly 11 stone even when race fit.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:15:47 am »
...What I don't get is why the OEM 18's (monza 2's) are so heavy, despite supposedly utilising 'hollowcast' technology?
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

..What I don't get is why the OEM 18's (monza 2's) are so heavy, despite supposedly utilising 'hollowcast' technology?

....Genuine Monza 2's most definitely do have BBS's patented 'Hollow Technology' and apparently the Mk5 GTI Monza is the wheel which BBS used to create and test their technology.

I think they are heavier than expected because there is still a lot of alloy material in the five 'spokes' - The spokes are big compared with many other wheel designs..

Goodness knows what a Monza 2 replica weighs!

Genuine OEM Monza 17's weigh ~10kg.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:18 am »
I think they switched to cheaper Ronals from late '06? There's weren't hollow.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 10:47:15 am »

I think they switched to cheaper Ronals from late '06? There's weren't hollow.

....Was it as early as late '06?

I weighed one of my early '06 genuine BBS Monza 18's on certified (annually recalibrated for local sea angling club) scales and it was 11kg, or may have been 11.?? - I'd have to look it up.

I wonder if the Mk6 alloys are BBS with Hollow Technology or another brand without........   :popcornsoda: