Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle lane motorway drivers!!  (Read 8252 times)

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
Middle lane motorway drivers!!
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:48:28 pm »
Possibly opening a can of worms but i need to say something.

My take on the motorway lanes are as follows
Lane 1 is the inside lane (slow lane)
Lane 2 & 3 are to make progress (ie overtaking lanes)

Why do most drivers feel that the middle lane is ok just to sit in for the duration of their journey?

I drive on the M5 for 30miles in the morning and home again after work and there are evermore middle lane drivers that stay in the middle lane regardless of anyone in front of them.
This just blocks the 2 outer lanes for people that want to make progress (i think thats what its called)
I do have a non motorway route to work but that would take 3-4 times longer which i don't mind using to get to work, but my kids would both be in bed if i took this route home (so not an option)

Does anyone else have opinions on this regardless of motorway miles?

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Middle lane motorway drivers!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:49:50 pm »
Frustrates the hell out of me too. I usually flash full beam until they move over.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:38 pm »
^^^ Yeah and then watch them in the rear view mirror move back into the middle lane  :fighting: :fighting: idiots

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:55 pm »
^^^ Yeah and then watch them in the rear view mirror move back into the middle lane  :fighting: :fighting: idiots

Yep had this happen loads some people don't understand the rules of the mtr way
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:56:53 pm by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:55:45 pm »
Worse than that, I'm encountering more and more lane straddlers on the roads. There's a 40mph dual carriage way on to work and frequently has parked cars in the left lane. Majority of drivers would move into the right lane. I don't understand why the rest sit over the middle of the road.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:19 pm »
It does my head in while driving late at night on the 4 lane M25, nothing in sight execpt a lonely car chugging along at 65 in the third lane, means I have to move from lane 1 right out to lane 4 to overtake and then move back to lane 1  :fighting:

AA

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:10:13 pm »
Undertaking.  I just love it. :signLOL: :signLOL: Has its moments so be careful
 Is it illegal to hog the middle lane?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:29 pm »

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:23:03 pm »
Middle lane drivers. Erghhh. Just deserves for this one!! An idiot of the highest degree as they even attempt to stop on the central reservation. The video contains strong language!

Another point though, despite middle lane drivers (and their 3rd lane brothers) being very annoying, what I think annoys me more is people's aggressive response sometimes. I don't get up people's rearend nor do I undertake. I ensure my presence is felt though. Undertaking is impatient and regardless of the excuse, its inconsiderate driving (and people are as likely to be stuck on as the middle lane person!)

@AA: It is illegal to 'sit' in the middle lane when there is an oppertunity for you to move over. It's inconsiderate or careless driving. The Highway Code states that lane 1 is the 'sitting' in lane, and lanes 2 and 3 are to overtake/make progress. I watched a enjoyable court case recently where a gentleman was summonsed to court for careless driving (namely sitting in the middle lane). He took it as a joke, and didn't see ANYTHING wrong with his driving. Funnily enough, he got a big fine and 4 points!

If anyone is local to North London/Hertfordshire, at any time of day, try exiting onto the A1 South from the South Mimms junction. 95% will filter on in lane 1 as per the slip road and immediately drift into the middle lane. Stupidly crazy.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:25:22 pm »
Even worse are those that think they are traffic Police and sit at 65-70 in the fast lane with a massive queue of frustration building up behind them.

They think "I'm going the speed limit, and so should you be. And no I'm not pulling over to let you pass".

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:26:57 pm »
First lane isn't the slow lane  :mad:

Calling it "the slow lane" will automatically deter anyone going over 65mph from using it. This is probably why people sit in the middle lane at 70mph when the left lane is clear because its "the slow lane" - for crawling cars and lorries

I keep left as best as possible, unless I'm overtaking and it wouldn't be worthwhile swapping to the first to have to come back into the middle shortly after.

My rant over  :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »
YES! It's Lane 1, 2, 3 etc etc!

I simply can't get into the mindsight of these people. What compels them to move into the middle lane and sit.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:33:00 pm »
They think "I'm going the speed limit, and so should you be. And no I'm not pulling over to let you pass".

Pure arrogance.

:fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 07:36:58 pm »
I've tried flashing to them, overtaking then pulling into lane 1 and putting hazards on as if to say "get over to the left"

Most of them are in dream land (autopilot), car all steamed up as they close all the vents, tyres half inflated as they don't maintain their car. . . Brain dead  :sick:

People like this cause accidents  :fighting:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »
I've tried flashing to them, overtaking then pulling into lane 1 and putting hazards on as if to say "get over to the left"

Most of them are in dream land (autopilot), car all steamed up as they close all the vents, tyres half inflated as they don't maintain their car. . . Brain dead  :sick:

People like this cause accidents[/size]  :fighting:

I also beleive there is some truth in Jeremy Clarkson's belief that you have no need to brake on the motorway (as long as you read the road ahead)
The shed (zafira) in front of me tonight kept hitting the brakes and hard some times for NO apparent reason, i decided to keep my distance till he moved over. Then made sure i stayed ahead.

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come