Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle lane motorway drivers!!  (Read 7822 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Middle lane motorway drivers!!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »
Alot of lane 1's are more damaged than other lanes due to the HGV use of this lane . I have driven on some that make it difficult to keep the wheels straight . The general width of HGV's is wider than all other traffic and means when one of the wheels in in a low bit the other wheel is not and causes the steering to wander . Have others experienced this ?

2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline torque777

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Re: Middle lane motorway drivers!!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »
The problem is lack of motorway driver training , its crazy that for years you could pass your test and then just drive on a motorway !! I spent some time in holland and Belgium and they know alot more about motorway driving , ,you drive in the inside lane , move out to overtake and pull back in again ,simples , nothing hard about it so why cant we do it ??

sent using my own fingers

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:22 pm »
I done 134 miles on the M25 today and encountered all this, best one I had today was coming back, someone was coming down the slip onto the motorway  and kept braking causing the car in the slow lane to slow to what must have been 30mph or less, luckily I saw it early and got into the middle lane but people like this cause accidents.

The driving test definitely needs improving to include motorways driving and lane discipline etc

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 08:05:47 pm »
I can understand using the middle lane for a few overtakes / past slip roads etc.  but when they refuse to move back in, it simply makes a 3 lane motorway into a dual carrigeway.  

For the most part I think there's 2 schools of driver that does this:

1. The lazy driver that knows better but can't be assed to keep swapping lanes (let me generalize: XJ Jag / Lexus GS / Audi A8 / any comfortable cruisers)
2. The incompetent driver that is afraid of moving lanes because they know their sh*te at checking blind spots etc.  and its a big deal when they need to make a junction.  :scared: (car type: ermm, something cr@p and built in the Far East)

Overall, they are much better at this on the continent.  In France / Germany, the overtaking lane, really does mean that, and most people will return back into the driving lane after an overtake.
If someone has their indicator on, people move over... just great that... none of this dangerous slamming brakes on we get here (classic YT video there ^^^).

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 08:10:50 pm »
I genuinely think there is a large majority who haven't got a f*cking clue that it is wrong. I passed a middle-aged lady in a Corsa at the weekend in the middle of miles of empty motorway, just sitting at 70mph in the middle lane. I pulled up to her on the inside land and waited for her to do something. I moved to the middle, flashed her and waited for something to happen. Nothing. I overtook her and she just looked at me as if to say "what's wrong?". It's just unbelievable. Boils my piss every time I get on a motorway.

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 08:15:04 pm »
 :signLOL: @
Boils my piss

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:24 pm »
If its quiet, like late at night depending on how much it has got to me I sometimes circle them a few times. Then imagine my car having James Bond style metal cutters coming out of the middle of my wheels, followed by some rapid machine gun fire to finish them off and send them flying down the embankment. If I am feeling relaxed I just pull right up on the left side of the car, just out of the other drivers line of sight and stay their as long as I can freaking them out.   :innocent:

Crazy and obviously dangerous, but it gets me to my destinations end without ramming them off the road and killing all there family.

Offline Raffe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:51 pm »
Driving standards are generally blood awful, I spend a lot of time driving for work (360 miles today alone) and just accept I am surrounded by poor drivers so go about my business in the safest way possible  :innocent:

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
If its quiet, like late at night depending on how much it has got to me I sometimes circle them a few times.

Oh the joy of doing this.  :drinking:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:34 pm »
The problem is lack of motorway driver training , its crazy that for years you could pass your test and then just drive on a motorway !! I spent some time in holland and Belgium and they know alot more about motorway driving , ,you drive in the inside lane , move out to overtake and pull back in again ,simples , nothing hard about it so why cant we do it ??

This is the main problem in the UK IMO.  You can get a driving licence without even getting a sniff of the motorway! Then you are expected to know what to do when you get on there for the first time on your own :stupid:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »
If its quiet, like late at night depending on how much it has got to me I sometimes circle them a few times. Then imagine my car having James Bond style metal cutters coming out of the middle of my wheels, followed by some rapid machine gun fire to finish them off and send them flying down the embankment. If I am feeling relaxed I just pull right up on the left side of the car, just out of the other drivers line of sight and stay their as long as I can freaking them out.   :innocent:

Crazy and obviously dangerous, but it gets me to my destinations end without ramming them off the road and killing all there family.

:signLOL: that's class

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:44 pm »
The nearest motorway to me is around 70-80 miles away so I have not had much experience of motorway driving.

But I do know to change lanes, if I am overtaking a car I pull straight back in.

Most of my commute to work is a on a dual carriageway and because of lane hoggers the speed rarely gets above 60mph, most people will sit in the fast lane because they will be turning right in a good few miles

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 10:23:25 pm »
Can I add:

Lorries overtaking each other on the 2 lane section of the M42! One doing 56mph and the other 56.1! Oh yes and a single flash of the indicator to say; I AM COMING OUT, YOU HAD BETTER F-ING BRAKE HARD!

And what they said ^^^^^

I never used to be this stressed on the motorway until I started doing a 80-mile round trip to work.

:rolleye:

2017 Audi S4

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 11:07:44 pm »
I had someone in front of me tonight (in the overtaking lane, 3rd) and every time someone moved from lane 1 to the middle lane she jumped on the anchors.

WTF goes through some peoples minds?

Moving into the middle lane when there is no one in front of them in the first lane...f*cking clueless.

I hate the M62 and I use it 5 days a week Bradford to Manchester and back.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:00 pm »

This is the main problem in the UK IMO.  You can get a driving licence without even getting a sniff of the motorway! Then you are expected to know what to do when you get on there for the first time on your own :stupid:

But then, people won't PAY for PassPlus if motorway driving is introduced to the driving test. It is after illegal for Learners to be on the motorway in the place - but I see there are plans afoot to change this.
Driving in the UK is awful.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"