Make a donation

Author Topic: The search for lightweight alloys  (Read 18944 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: The search for lightweight alloys
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 04:43:37 pm »

Just got back from the shop and already bought mine :ashamed: :evilgrin:

£1,100 for the wheels, tyres, balancing, fitment, tuner bolts and locking bolts.
I personally didn't mind paying a little extra for the tyres, as it is a 1 stop shop for me :happy2:

I'm still happy to sort a group buy session for alloys/ alloys & tyres if you want though :happy2:

He didn't have the alloys in stock and neither do Rimstock, but they will still only take around 3 weeks to make & deliver :jumping:

The satin black 8 x 17's are in stock, but I stuck to my guns for the sake of the smaller weight :party:

I can't see these tyres lasting too long if I use them on the road though :evilgrin:

I take it you mean by the hi-lighted section above the OEM bolts dont fit with these rims.
And did you go for the 7.5 or 8.0j wheel and what what tyre size did you plump for.  :smiley:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 05:04:11 pm »

Just got back from the shop and already bought mine :ashamed: :evilgrin:

£1,100 for the wheels, tyres, balancing, fitment, tuner bolts and locking bolts.
I personally didn't mind paying a little extra for the tyres, as it is a 1 stop shop for me :happy2:

I'm still happy to sort a group buy session for alloys/ alloys & tyres if you want though :happy2:

He didn't have the alloys in stock and neither do Rimstock, but they will still only take around 3 weeks to make & deliver :jumping:

The satin black 8 x 17's are in stock, but I stuck to my guns for the sake of the smaller weight :party:

I can't see these tyres lasting too long if I use them on the road though :evilgrin:

I take it you mean by the hi-lighted section above the OEM bolts dont fit with these rims.
And did you go for the 7.5 or 8.0j wheel and what what tyre size did you plump for.  :smiley:

The OEM bolts will fit, but they it is a little tight in there and the tuner bolts give you the advantage of using a spigot adapter that means you are less likely to give the alloys a rash from the wheel brace :smiley:

I went for the 7.5j alloys as they do save that crucial 0.8kg (1.76lb a corner) which equates to a 16kg deadweight saving over the 8x18 TDPR alloys and a mahooosive 77kg of deadweight over the MonzaII's/Pescara's. :evilgrin:

Tyre size was 225/45/17's which has the all important extra 6mm cross section benefit over the 225/40/18 R888's :drool:

He just happens to have 10 9 sets of these tyres IN STOCK too. :jumping:
Unfortunately he is selling them individually (although fitted and balanced) at £175 each :surprised:

Wish I didn't have to wait for them making though :sad1:
Golf R gone.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 05:10:25 pm »
I think i will go for the 7.5 as well when you say tight do you mean the actual bolt space around the head.
And who cares about scratches from the wheel brace. I will be quite happy to stop parking in the middle of the road trying to protect the monza's and works  :laugh:
Think i might just clip a few curbs for the fun of it.  :driver:

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2009, 05:46:45 pm »
I think i will go for the 7.5 as well when you say tight do you mean the actual bolt space around the head.
And who cares about scratches from the wheel brace. I will be quite happy to stop parking in the middle of the road trying to protect the monza's and works  :laugh:
Think i might just clip a few curbs for the fun of it.   :driver:

could even shave a few gramm off the weight  :laugh:  remember, every ounce counts!!! :signLOL:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 05:53:40 pm »
Think i might just clip a few curbs for the fun of it.  :driver:

Yes, the bolt space around the head is tight. I haven't used the OEM bolts in there as I decided to go for the tuner bolts straight away on the 18's I have and it was a natural progression to do the same on the 17's :happy2:

What colour are you going for though TC? The gloss black would look great against the white on your car anyway, but a white on white combo could look good too :jumping:

could even shave a few gramm off the weight  :laugh:  remember, every ounce counts!!! :signLOL:

Nooo! it makes me shudder just thinking about kerbing alloys, let alone actually doing it :sick:
Golf R gone.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »
ergh....ive got that "nails down a blackboard" thing going on with all this talk of kerbs!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2009, 08:59:30 pm »
Rubbish - I'm gonna get a wire brush and a hammer to mine for that authentic race look.
Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 09:38:44 pm »
i want some now but 18s in white or black

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box