Make a donation

Author Topic: 2013 Mix Series - 12 Psy Trance!  (Read 11699 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
2013 Mix Series - 12 Psy Trance!
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:25:24 pm »
Hey guys, for 2013 I will be doing a monthly mix series of 12 different genres! To start off a nice chill out mix, perfect with a glass of wine or a smoke if you are that way inclined  :laugh:

Feedback welcome  :happy2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zx4wc7eupga7okh

Beanfield – Planetary Deadlock : Dorfmeister Belvedere Dub
Kruse & Nuernberg – Let’s Call It a Day 05.08
Nightmares On Wax – You Wish 08.39
Guy J – Lost & Found : Found a Corner of Silence Mix 11.50
Thomas Datt- Alone : Chilled Mix 18.22
Groove Armada feat. Will Young – History : M3 & Bachelors of Science Remix 24.17
Steve Bug feat. Emilie Chick – Moment of Ease 30.22
Trentemoller – Moan 36.42
Kriece & Shamatha – Eye of the Beholder : Ulrich Schnauss Remix 42.15
Moby – Extreme Ways (Bourne’s Legacy) : Voodoo Child Remix 48.30
Slam – Dark Forces : Onmutu Mechaniks Remix 50.17
Sasha, Donatello, Knox, Kastis Torrau & Arnos D – Smoke Cone : UNER Jazzy Beatless Remix 56.34
Chicane – Offshore 1.03.30
Sasha – Drempels 1.09.45
PPK – Resurrection : Robots Outro Mix 1.10.59
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:45:18 pm by berg »
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: 2013 Mix Series - 01 Chill Out
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »
 :drinking:  :happy2:

Listening to it now (was really fast to download)....

Feedback to come later  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »
 :drinking:  :happy2:

Listening to it now (was really fast to download)....

Feedback to come later  :drinking:

cheers robin, bit experimental as i usually mix quicker stuff, but am doing 12 different genres to challenge myself so to come will be electronica, nu-disco, breaks, techno, minimal, trance, psy-trance along with several variations of house music  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:52 pm »
Have played it once so far, while reading and posting on this forum.

The Chill genre is actually quite a tricky one to get right in an hour mix. It mustn't be so chilled that it doesn't hold the listener's interest at all. Chill should relax you but not bore you. I was beginning to get bored after about the third or fourth track but Thomas Datt (I think) and then Groove Armada with Will Young came to the rescue and made me stop writing and listen. Of course it's always going to come down to personal preferences and individual tastes in music.

It was good to hear some tracks with vocals as a relief from lots of instrumental tracks.

A criticism I have of most sets on the hyperinterwebbynet is that most don't publish a track list (you did so) and don't give a start of song time (you didn't do so either). I realise that with a long crossover you just have to give a rough guide but it helps a listener because not everyone will already know the track and it can then be ID'd and also it allows the listener to go back to one of the tracks he/she really enjoys and wants to repeat.

For example, I love that track which I think is by Sasha, or is it the track by Slam? or is it the track by Chicane? It then allows me to go off and check out their other music if I know who they are. Some "00:??:??" alongside the track names, please.

I enjoyed how the mix built gradually into what I call laid back (chilled?) dance music - Will Young has that very gay disco sound but good gay discos always play ace tracks!

Overall, I enjoyed it and some tracks I loved but not all. It flowed well.

Those are my honest first impressions and I'll definitely be playing it again. My days of drinking JD with smoking a few joints are over but I have doubtless consumed so much that I still have a residue!

Thanks for sharing  :drinking:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:34:14 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »
Looking forward to the nu-disco !
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:00 pm »
Have played it once so far, while reading and posting on this forum.

The Chill genre is actually quite a tricky one to get right in an hour mix. It mustn't be so chilled that it doesn't hold the listener's interest at all. Chill should relax you but not bore you. I was beginning to get bored after about the third or fourth track but Thomas Datt (I think) and then Groove Armada with Will Young came to the rescue and made me stop writing and listen. Of course it's always going to come down to personal preferences and individual tastes in music.

It was good to hear some tracks with vocals as a relief from lots of instrumental tracks.

A criticism I have of most sets on the hyperinterwebbynet is that most don't publish a track list (you did so) and don't give a start of song time (you didn't do so either). I realise that with a long crossover you just have to give a rough guide but it helps a listener because not everyone will already know the track and it can then be ID'd and also it allows the listener to go back to one of the tracks he/she really enjoys and wants to repeat.

For example, I love that track which I think is by Sasha, or is it the track by Slam? or is it the track by Chicane? It then allows me to go off and check out their other music if I know who they are. Some "00:??:??" alongside the track names, please.

I enjoyed how the mix built gradually into what I call laid back (chilled?) dance music - Will Young has that very gay disco sound but good gay discos always play ace tracks!

Overall, I enjoyed it and some tracks I loved but not all. It flowed well.

Those are my honest first impressions and I'll definitely be playing it again. My days of drinking JD with smoking a few joints are over but I have doubtless consumed so much that I still have a residue!

Thanks for sharing  :drinking:

Hi Robin,

thanks for taking the time to provide in depth feedback. Sometimes friends will say the mixes were good but you always wonder if they just dont want to hurt your feelings, but more often than not you dont get any feedback. I must admit that it was very tricky because as you say I felt i had to raise the tempo, but raise it by how much, after all it was not meant to have block rocking beats  :laugh: I see what you mean re the track times i can go back and listen to it and amend the tracklist to show the times, as you say it helps listeners to identify a certain track easily.

I hope you do listen again as it may grow on you further. One problem was whether to mix it in key or just let the tracks get quicker. If I did it again some of the tracks may be in a different order, but it was meant to be spontaneous. I can send some more mixes out in the post to you as mentioned but will try to burn a variety for you  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:04 pm »
^^^^
I'm always happy to give in depth feedback. On SoundCloud some folks just say "dope" or write a one word comment - Whereas it's good that they bothered at all, sometimes a few more words can be helpful even if you don't agree with them!

On the other hand, many folks aren't very good at expressing themselves. I hate people getting intellectual about music though - Afterall, it's fundamentally emotional and nothing else. It should either move your soul or your feet, or even both at once.

Spontaneous is always good I think.....................

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »

I hope you do listen again as it may grow on you further.

....Most definitely will listen again more than once! I really enjoy a 1hr set.

One of my current favourites is this one by a Russian chick, Yuliya, who mixes under the name of SpringLady...........................

I'm a sucker for a rich sound production - Probably because my living room also doubles as a home recording studio with a small mixing desk and various reference monitors and I sit in the sweet spot while oozing verbal diarrhea on car forums.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:37:55 pm by RedRobin »

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:29 pm »
ha ha why not, have put in track times now RR so you can identify which tracks you really like  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »
I have played and listened to the whole set again....

It has really grown on me

I've picked up on how the percussion sound travels through the whole set - The 'wood block' and tap-tap sounds are what are carrying it.

That Groove Armada / Will Young track got me dancing in my chair! In a way it introduces the climax to the whole set until it starts to chill its beats back down again. But I love the bass in Chicane and also Sasha's dreamy voice.

The whole set is subtle - I like it - I like it a lot  :happy2:

The first track by Beanfield reminds me a bit of Zero7 - I assume you have heard of them?

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:12 pm »
I have played and listened to the whole set again....

It has really grown on me

I've picked up on how the percussion sound travels through the whole set - The 'wood block' and tap-tap sounds are what are carrying it.

That Groove Armada / Will Young track got me dancing in my chair! In a way it introduces the climax to the whole set until it starts to chill its beats back down again. But I love the bass in Chicane and also Sasha's dreamy voice.

The whole set is subtle - I like it - I like it a lot  :happy2:

The first track by Beanfield reminds me a bit of Zero7 - I assume you have heard of them?

Cheers Robin  :happy2:, after your initial review it got me thinking if I did it again would I change the order, maybe the Guy J track first and go from there but live dj'ing should of course be spontaneous. I dj'ed in a couple of bars about 6 years ago and pretty much pre planned my set as I did not have the confidence to deviate.

Yeah heard of Zero 7 - have a couple of their tracks somewhere I think. Re Sasha, I am not convinced the first track featuring Sasha is THE Sasha who I used as penultimate track; I will have to check the credits. Either way, it was a very nice track and it was that name that drew me to listen to it in the first place.

Already planning next months installment - Electronica!

Offline berg

• Thank You
Re: 2013 Mix Series - 02 Electronica
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 12:11:51 pm »
Hi guys, bit of an experimental, leftfield mix this month (well last month, this month's Indie Dance/Nu Disco mix to come!) with some tracks that cant be easily pidgeon holed but are still very definately electronic. I mixed this on my pioneer cdj's but was not happy with the result so have re-edited on my computer to make it tighter. if you like EDM this still wont be to everyones tastes but if you like underground dance music give it a whirl.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wo74zmddsltvbda

Andrew Bayer - Gaff's Eulogy
Matthew Dear - Fighting is Futile - Seth Troxler Remix
16 Bit Lolita's - Leave Me Cold (Part II)
Massive Attack - Paradise Circus - Gui Boratto Remix
Lana Del Rey - Video Games - Omid 16b's Remix
Disclosure - What's in Your Head?
Versalife - Isolated Context
James Zabiela - The Healing
Dusky - What I Do
Paul Kalkbrenner - Der Stabsvoernern
Dusky - Calling Me
Paul Kalkbrenner - Das Gezabel De Luxe
Four Tet - Jupiters - Happa Remix
Paul Kalkbrenner - Der Buhold
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:04:56 pm by berg »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:18 pm »
^^^^
Hi Andy, I'm about to download your latest version now and give it a listen. My ears are fresh and I haven't had time earlier  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »
^^^^
WOW! Such a rich-n-solid production on that first track - That's what I mean by grabbing you and keeping you interested in listening to what follows :happy2:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 01:41:24 pm »
Hi robin, cheers, track two survived but cut it down and mixed in beat from track 3 earlier. Quite dark in places this mix but the indie dance/nu-disco one will be all light and fluffy