Make a donation

Author Topic: Just been tugged by the plod  (Read 8866 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Just been tugged by the plod
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:30 am »
Lol, where I come from tugged and pulled mean getting noshed off :wink:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22:42 am »
Deserved the pull. They are illegal.

Not the 3D lettering of course.

What the St Georges cross and ENG bit? That is also on the DVLA site as being legal now. All the UK countries flags and country codes are legal in the UK but GB is still required to be displayed when abroad

Thats good then. Last time i checekd the only flag allowed was the Euro stars and GB.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:25 am »
3D 'style' plates are legal so long as they conform to the correct font which they look like they do. I take you have the BS number and name of the producer/postcode as well? The ENG/flag is a permitted variant so no issues on that front.

There is only one font that is now legal unless your plate is older than 1.9.2001 (I think) and then it has to be similar ie The letters have to be black and the correct size, spaced correctly etc. my private plate is a P reg (1996) so if I understand it correctly I can have 3D font legally as long as its the same size, colour blah blah blah.

If you mean because you have have 1996 plates, you can run as per the 1996 regs, you can't unfortunately. As you have physically placed the plates after 2001, the new regulations are the ones that govern your plates! I have a similar age private plate.....if you we could, i'd be running a black and silver  :grin:

Good stuff. Thanks for explaining!

I can't help thinking it was more of a routine stop to get a 'feel' for you, and the plate discussion happened from there. Once they've realised you're not banned/drunk/car thief then that's why you weren't ticketed. They may not know the rules, but I can't see them pulling you again TBH.

Agree. I've been stopped just once in my Golf and that was a warning for speeding (which I wasn't) and then they checked me and the car out and off they went.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »
What a refreshingly balanced thread about the actions of the Old Bill.  As you said, they can't be expected to know every act and section.

TBH, as long as they are as reasonable as the officers who stopped you, I'd like to be stopped more often (as long as I haven't been doing anything wrong, of course!)  How else will my car ever be recovered if it's ever stolen, unless the Police are stopping cars?  And, as it can be a week or two between trips, I'd rather they didn't wait until I reported it missing.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 07:50:44 pm »
^^^^
@ SRC:

I wholeheartedly agree - It's actually quite rare for a Policeman/woman to behave rudely and out of order and if they do, it's usually in response to those with a bad attitude. It's the bad cases which get the publicity.

I prefer to work with people, not against them.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 07:55:49 pm »
^^^^
@ SRC:

I wholeheartedly agree - It's actually quite rare for a Policeman/woman to behave rudely and out of order and if they do, it's usually in response to those with a bad attitude. It's the bad cases which get the publicity.

I prefer to work with people, not against them.

100 percent I agree. I work with the police a lot and obviously you get one or two that are so and so's but you get that in every job

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 08:15:18 pm »

TBH, as long as they are as reasonable as the officers who stopped you, I'd like to be stopped more often (as long as I haven't been doing anything wrong, of course!)  How else will my car ever be recovered if it's ever stolen, unless the Police are stopping cars?  And, as it can be a week or two between trips, I'd rather they didn't wait until I reported it missing.

Same here, even after being stopped a total of 28 times last year   :surprised: still happy for them them to pull me over, each time it was in the early hours of the morning after work driving within the law, I'd rather know that there was a good chance of my car being out late at night without me in it being stopped

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 10:34:40 pm »
I can't help thinking it was more of a routine stop to get a 'feel' for you, and the plate discussion happened from there. Once they've realised you're not banned/drunk/car thief then that's why you weren't ticketed. They may not know the rules, but I can't see them pulling you again TBH.

TBH I am thinking the same now, when I posted this the other night it was abit of a knee jerk post but in hindsight I think your right.

Tugged, pulled... if it's a female office it all sounds good to me! :grin:

There is a few nice officers round this way, shame it weren't none of them  :evilgrin:

Thats good then. Last time i checekd the only flag allowed was the Euro stars and GB.

They was illegal but then whilst the the legislation was being changed I'm sure it was said that a blind eye would be turned to Country flags and ENG, SCO etc as the law was being changed to allow these.

What a refreshingly balanced thread about the actions of the Old Bill.  As you said, they can't be expected to know every act and section.

TBH, as long as they are as reasonable as the officers who stopped you, I'd like to be stopped more often (as long as I haven't been doing anything wrong, of course!)  How else will my car ever be recovered if it's ever stolen, unless the Police are stopping cars?  And, as it can be a week or two between trips, I'd rather they didn't wait until I reported it missing.

I agree I did wonder where the thread was gonna go and I'm glad it hasn't turned into the usual slagging off coppers thread.

Again my initial post was a bit of a knee jerk reaction as it had only just happened.

Same here, even after being stopped a total of 28 times last year   :surprised: still happy for them them to pull me over, each time it was in the early hours of the morning after work driving within the law, I'd rather know that there was a good chance of my car being out late at night without me in it being stopped

Bloody hell thats alot of times, think this is only my 3rd time in nearly 9 years of driving.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:01:00 am by Nodz »

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 07:31:57 pm »

I think this is highly likely. The GTI is a commonly nicked motor and they may have used your plates as an excuse to check out your body language while being questioned , 9 times out of 10 a tea leaf will give themselves away by looking or sounding dodgy - as you were driving your own car with nowt to hide they will have noticed that (or maybe Ive been watching too many Traffic Cop programmes on TV!)
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:23 pm »
Obviously excluding the OP from this...

They've got such good instinct, how many times do you watch those programs and they pull someone who looks 'iffy' - and bazinga, they've got a drunk scumbag with no insurance/tax/licence, an outstanding warrant and concealing drugs up their arse.

They can pull as many people as they like IMO, the more tossbags off the road, the better.

I love the Police, I'd gladly pay more tax to have even more of them.
Sideways yo!

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 07:58:52 pm »
Obviously excluding the OP from this...

They've got such good instinct, how many times do you watch those programs and they pull someone who looks 'iffy' - and bazinga, they've got a drunk scumbag with no insurance/tax/licence, an outstanding warrant and concealing drugs up their arse.

They can pull as many people as they like IMO, the more tossbags off the road, the better.

I love the Police, I'd gladly pay more tax to have even more of them.

Don't you think they may have edited the program that way?
I do agree that the Police are an important tax expenditure, but like in every walk of society you still get some that are cun*s; it's just the way life is.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 08:02:21 pm »
I'm fully aware of their strike rate hardly being the 100% they show on TV - but this myth they just sit in laybys waiting for easy speeding targets to drive past is miles from the truth.

The Police represent all of us, they're you, me, him, her - so yes, there's the odd bad ones. I've never come across one, maybe I've always passed the attitude test...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:23:35 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 10:30:29 am »

I'm fully aware of their strike rate hardly being the 100% they show on TV - but this myth they just sit in laybys waiting for easy speeding targets to drive past is miles from the truth.

The Police represent all of us, they're you, me, him, her - so yes, there's the odd bad ones. I've never come across one, maybe I've always passed the attitude test...

....Yep, sitting in laybys with a speed gun is usually what the camera vans do nowadays,

I've yet to come across a Police with a bad attitude too. I've come across one rather humourless one but the rest have been great. The first speeding ticket I ever got was when I first had the GTI and was for 93 mph on a traffic free 70 limit dual carriageway A-road. I was booked on the Eurotunnel a few days later and the guy phoned me at home on a Saturday to make sure I got my licence back so my documents would be in order. That was way beyond his call of duty. It was a marked BMW estate and I've seen him around since.

Put yourself in their shoes: If some stranger gives you attitude, how are you likely to react? A good Police is experienced at accepting how some drivers may initially feel emotionally when stopped and only up the anti according to how you behave.

Very focussed driving experience develops their (and your) ability to recognise the body language of a driver through their car. It might sound strange and impossible but the number of times you have been able to anticipate a particular driver's moves is proof of that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:35:27 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:20 am »
Slip roads to motorway or dual carriageways.  I've seen so many ppl get caught in the same location that most regulars use their hazards to slow peeps down... A lot think your being arsey so I don't bother anymore. Still seems a good earner as they are there every week day without fail.  The road in question doesn't have a fatalities marked on it either... Just a nice downhill dual carriageway with slip road to tuck up in, easy pickings.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 10:54:55 am »
If people are daft enough to speed, then it's their own fault. We all do it, you just have to suck it up if you get caught.

Most of the time people's gripes with the Police are because they're stopping them doing something they shouldn't. Their are some trivial laws, but the Police don't make them, they just enforce them. Those moaning about the trivial should take it up with their MP instead.
Sideways yo!