Make a donation

Author Topic: video showing the difference between snow and summer tyres in the snow  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: video showing the difference between snow and summer tyres in the snow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12:30 pm »
 :happy2:

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:55 pm »
I could be wrong here, but surely the 1 series didnt help by flooring it, rather than easing it in like the M3 ?  :confused:

Please can I also make it clear I 100% agree the winter tyres are better  :happy2:

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:43:57 pm »
Good video, wish they had a big 4x4 on summer tyres to compare with, that would have been interesting :evilgrin:

The case for winter tyres is clear, it's just exaggerated when you've got snow on the ground.

If you want the best performance during the cold, wet, winter months then fit quality winter tyres. If you want the best performance in the warmer summer months fit premium tyres, not ditch finders. Horses for courses and all that.

If you can afford it your sorted, if not then you've got to accept some compromise. I don't like walking on cold, wet, slippery, icy, snowy surfaces with my leather soled shoes on, much prefer it with something that has a good tread :stupid:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »
Seem like the boys have answered my question - Anyone tell which 4x4 it is, I can't

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=STaximkaQxo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSTaximkaQxo

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:49:22 pm »
Looks like a Forester.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:20 pm »
Seem like the boys have answered my question - Anyone tell which 4x4 it is, I can't

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=STaximkaQxo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSTaximkaQxo

Class - an otherwise well planted 4WD, vs a 340+bhp RWD sports car... great video... just shows there is simply no contest, those that think otherwise are in denial (there are people that still think summer tyres are ok in these circumstances  :stupid:).

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:25 pm »
The last few winters I've been driving round in my mates Discovery as he is in a rescue response group and the amount of people needing rescued is unreal.

One time we had a guy in a Jeep with low profile summers on, horizontal across the road at the bottom of a dip - we got him out otherwise he was in complete isolation...in a t-shirt.

It's all about the tyres on these conditions.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:03:16 pm »
Beema with summers LOL:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:20 pm »
The problem for most people is the justification in expense vs the amount of cold weather we get.

It was 12 degrees before the snow hit, and this weekend temps will be back up to 10 degrees.

Winter tyres are pretty useless in mild conditions.

I will be investing in some for next year, im going to get fed up swapping and changing as and when the weather feels like dipping below 6 degrees.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:40:02 pm »
My 335d with  snow tyres on was awesome, travelled from Newcastle to Scottish Borders along the A1 in snow drifts, loads of 4x4's dumped at the roadside, got there and back easily. (Nokian WR3 tyres)

Now my BMW X5 SD (same engine as the 335d) is on snow tyres and is nowhere near as good as the RWD 335d was, yes it gets grip well, but the extra weight can really be felt. ( Pirelli scorpion ice & Snow)

My favourite combination is RWD and good winter tyres, so much more control and feel than any 4x4 or FWD car. I find that stopping is the most important thing in bad conditions, not acceleration.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:44:48 pm »
Quote from: Deako link=topic=60391.msg677013#msg677013 date=

Winter tyres are pretty useless in mild conditions.

Not at all, my winters stayed on my 335d well into the spring. Many European countries have made it the law to use Winter tyres from mid October to the end of April.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kdbih1d79o6l9qoo0rcjq6bknc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:48:41 pm »
The snow will be gone in a week or so. Winters are pointless IMO for the most part.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:49:38 pm »
It is quite an initial expense, especially if you change cars regularly.  I tend to keep cars for 5 years + so don't mind forking out.

Premium winters aren't bad in mild conditions just not as good as premium summer rubber - probably as good as cheaper summer rubber though.  

My Dad has kept his winters on for 18 months! LOL - Reckons he can't tell the difference, he does  drive like miss daisy though.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:47 pm »
The snow will be gone in a week or so. Winters are pointless IMO for the most part.

If you absolutely need York car then I think they are worthwhile, they sell very well on the used market as well and can recoup your costs easily. My 335d winter setup cost me £75 for some 17" alloys on ebay and £380 for tyres, used them for a full winter and spring and sold them or £400, cost me £55 overall.

I'd rather stay safe and be able to stop on ice for £55 and avoid massive repair bills if and when things go wrong! My X5 setup cost me £700 for used tyres and wheels with about 1mm of wear, last week I had to stop on an Icy hill, the cars in front, including a bus were sliding down it on sheet ice towards a busy T junction, I stopped with no issues, rolled down safety and slowly. I'm sure a smashed front end would cost a lot more than £700 to repair, and the extra insurance premiums after a claim.