Make a donation

Poll

how to stop dashboard rattle

how to stop dashboard rattle
0 (0%)
how to fix rattle
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Dashboard rattle(easy fix)  (Read 2593 times)

Offline valvedoctor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Dashboard rattle(easy fix)
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »
I had an annoying rattle coming from my dashboard that i've been meaning to sort for a few weeks now!
Any how, I sorted it yesterday and thought I would share with you all as it was so quick and easy and cheap to fix.
I traced the rattle to the top of the dash where there is a vent in the centre (my car's a gti) At the front of the vent is a piece of plastic where the vent control wheel sits.This is where the rattle comes from, as the fit is a bit on the slack side.
Simply remove this little piece of plastic (I used the little tool you get to dissemble a mobile phone) and then put a tiny piece of blue tack on the underside of the plastic( front edge) and refit. Hey presto, takes seconds to do and costs nowt, just the kind of repair job we all like :happy2:

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Re: Dashboard rattle(easy fix)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:38:11 pm »
ive got a rattle from the passenger side i cant locate yet. sounds like a plasticy creaking sound and i first thought it was the air vent. once i removed the air vent its still there. im not sure whether its from within the dash or the door card or something near! gonna wait till the weather is better before investigating tho.....  the cars been off the road for a few mods.

cant wait to drive it again, just hoping its gonna be ready for the meet and rolling road day at PD Tuning on 2nd Feb!

Good tip mate!

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:50:52 pm »
ive got a rattle from the passenger side i cant locate yet. sounds like a plasticy creaking sound and i first thought it was the air vent. once i removed the air vent its still there. im not sure whether its from within the dash or the door card or something near! gonna wait till the weather is better before investigating tho.....  the cars been off the road for a few mods.

cant wait to drive it again, just hoping its gonna be ready for the meet and rolling road day at PD Tuning on 2nd Feb!

Good tip mate!

Sounds like what i had. If you remove the end panel where the fusebox is located you will see a torx bolt that secures the dash. These works loose and causes the dash to rattle. There is also one at the other end of the dash behind the panel.
I tightened both of mine and sorted my dash creek. :happy2: and just started to do it again 6 months later so I am thinking a little thread lock should sort it. :wink:

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
Good fix!....mine creaks and groans as the dash warms up/cools down!

I too have  creak/fidget at the drivers end of the dash. it seems to be against the door card as if you push in on the card it quietens down. Maybe I need to tighten those dash screws aswell!

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »

Good tip mate!

Sounds like what i had. If you remove the end panel where the fusebox is located you will see a torx bolt that secures the dash. These works loose and causes the dash to rattle. There is also one at the other end of the dash behind the panel.
I tightened both of mine and sorted my dash creek. :happy2: and just started to do it again 6 months later so I am thinking a little thread lock should sort it. :wink:

thanks ill try that when its light again!