Make a donation

Author Topic: Roof mounted cycle carriers  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Roof mounted cycle carriers
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:01 pm »
With the new job I'm feeling a new start and one of the things I need to do is get fit. This gives me a reason to dust off my MTB that hasn't been used since I got the car. The trouble is any decent trails are a bit of a drive away, so I'm after getting a set of roof bars and a cycle carrier, with a possibility of a 2nd one later on and even possibly a roof box.

I've done a bit of searching and digging and basically I have narrowed it down to either the Thule aero bars or the OEM bars. I seem to be able to get them the full Thule kit (bars, fit, fitting kit, key system) or the OEM kit for around the £160 mark, so theres nothing in it. I seem to be swaying towards the Thules as the bars extend past the feet meaning if I did ever have to rope something to the roof it would make it easier than with the OEM bars. Also I keep looking at the fairing (872XT) but no where seems to sell them atm, but to get this to fit on the OEM bars is a pain and involves drilling the bars etc.

As for the actual carrier it seems the Thule ProRide 591's seem to be the favourite. I was thinking about the type you remove the front wheel and bolt the forks to the carrier but after muddy trails I wouldn't really want that in the boot.

So basically what I'm asking is which is the better of the two and is there any better? Also any pics would help  :happy2:

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Roof mounted cycle carriers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:29:17 pm »
Can't comment on the bars, but if carrying bikes externally I've always gone for a towbar mounted system as it has less of an impact on fuel consumption, is easier to load (less chance of damaging the roof), and doesn't make a din. Past experience of roof bars cycle carriers is that they're also less sturdy than towbar mounts, so I don't feel too comfortable with 3 DH bikes (or just sturdy trail bikes) on the roof getting a hammering in the airstream, held in place by a floppy carrier.

That said for just one or two bikes I lob it/them in the back (got one of these to contain any mess http://www.hatchbag.co.uk/page.php?xPage=bootliner&gclid=CPzW8sjWibUCFW3MtAodVD0AAw). The less faff there is to going cycling, the more inclined I am to go!

I'd imagine both the Thule and OEM bars are pretty good for acoustics, but make very sure they are - my old rack I used for windsurfing had aero bars, but the legs weren't the greatest and the noise at "proper" speeds was tiresome!

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:10 am »
I have the oem roof bars, very impressed with them, easy to fit, plus bonus of being able to use the roof rack to transport other stuff

I also have the Thule 591s which are great. You can just rest the bike in the claw grip which holds it nice a steady whilst turning the clamp handle - so easy to use and feel very sturdy, whilst still being light
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:24 am »
I use OEM bars with Thule ProRide 591 racks.

The OEM bars have a rubber strip which you remove, then you fit the Thule rack with the T-bar fitting. You're talking a matter of seconds to fit.

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:47 am »
I'm selling a pair of roof mounted cycle carriers in the for sale section. No use for them now!
How hard can it be?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:38:14 pm »
Cheers guys, definitely going to get the 591's. Just undecided on the bars, I've just seen that thule do the Team Cross 591's and they are all black but they don't do aero bars all black and neither are the oem bars. I just think the silver bars stand out a bit but I don't want black square bars.

.Ii found these 2 pics and the OEM bars seem to sit higher than the thules but that might be the angle of the pics but thats another reason I swaying to the thules (all pics borrowed from on here).

I'm selling a pair of roof mounted cycle carriers in the for sale section. No use for them now!

Cheers fella but I wont be buying for until I've settled into the new job and I think I'm gonna get the 591's. Thanks for the offer though  :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:09:38 pm »
That's my car and they are just some cheap oval style ones I bought off ebay for about £30 I think

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »
I know, I was gonna PM you and find out what bars they were but you've saved me that job :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:09 pm »
Pic of mine with OEM bars and the Thule Ranger 90 roof box.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »
I have a 5 door GTi and have a thule roof system with the alloy aero bars (silver, sleeker and quiet) All with locks ---Not OME, but thule's own system

I carry 3 bikes (2 adults and 1 childs, but it's almost full size) using the thule 591 cycle racks, same cycle racks fit on our Audi Avant roof rack so its nice and easy. Tend to use it all more on the Audi as it does dent mpg, but if you are carrying bikes they are secure and out of the way, and you get easy access to the boot at all times which is essential  It's quick and easy to fit and take off, just watch the paintwork & make sure the car is clean

I got the bars, foot packs and rapid fitting kit all 2nd hand off thief bay and got a good deal. It wasn't a complete set up I got them via 3 seperate sales and sold on the bits i didn't need. It worked out the cheapest way for me

Had the same make on my old Mk4 with no issues, take a look at the thule website work out the parts you need and get searching

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:54 pm »
Oem bars plus Thule pro rides FTW!

Vrs plus bikes by lotus-gt, on Flickr

..modelled here carrying Mary Poppins bicycle.

;-)
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 04:18:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies and the pics guys. I'm definitely getting the 591's, with the bars I will probably go for whatever I can get the best deal on at the time but it seems I can't go wrong with either the OEM or Thule. Just got to save the pennies now.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:52:00 pm »
I've used the bars in the past and the ones that bolt to the front fork axle are best as the frame clamp designs will not fit all frame designs plus the fork clamps are more secure.

The roof bars have downsides, your bike will deposit all it's mud on your roof and it will end up with scratches as you clean it

Now I just put the rear seats down put a tarpaulin in the back and chuck the bike in, it protects the car and I can even go for a pint / meal after the cycle without the worry of the bike going missing from the roof, (happened to my mates bike when we were in the pub). Plus if you just want to go in and chill out after a hard cycle you can go in the house and deal with the bike the next again day. It's no hassle either it only takes two minutes to remove the wheels and chuck it in the boot aswell.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN