Make a donation

Author Topic: NQSBBK - Pads, Discs, Brake Fluid & Spacers  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
NQSBBK - Pads, Discs, Brake Fluid & Spacers
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:19 pm »
Ok so I should be receiving my referbed NQSBBK (DaveB Kit) from Jonny next week and wanted to get hold of the other required bits.

Am thinking of getting the following:

Pads (are these correct/decent)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270925623249?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Discs (pretty much like OE but I like the drilled/grooved look)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300340107835?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Brake Fluid
I was thinking to just go with OE but is there a better recommended fluid, which won't break the bank?

Spacers
I am planning on getting some 20mm Racemax hubcentric spacers on the front for clearance and rear for looks. Main question is will I get rubbing on the front or rear due to my 30mm drop (H&R Springs) with Monza II's?

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Kalpesh
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: NQSBBK - Pads, Discs, Brake Fluid & Spacers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:34:25 pm »
As you probably know, most people don't recommend drilled (unless uber expensive forged discs) due to stress cracks... but I bought them anyway, the same ones in your link.

Delivery was fast and packaged well.

I was set to fit them today, but only managed one side as my near side caliper carrier bolt seized (21mm of pure displeasure)... it's going on the ramps tomorrow to get some leverage on it.
I've only got Mintex red box pads for it atm; will see what they are like, if crap I'll try my half worn Tarox pads in.

It's worth noting, that the same company do just Slotted discs too (although not advertised on the bay), with this knowledge now, I'd probably go with the slotted, to ensure less chance of cracks.... we'll see :)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »
As you probably know, most people don't recommend drilled (unless uber expensive forged discs) due to stress cracks... but I bought them anyway, the same ones in your link.

Delivery was fast and packaged well.

I was set to fit them today, but only managed one side as my near side caliper carrier bolt seized (21mm of pure displeasure)... it's going on the ramps tomorrow to get some leverage on it.
I've only got Mintex red box pads for it atm; will see what they are like, if crap I'll try my half worn Tarox pads in.

It's worth noting, that the same company do just Slotted discs too (although not advertised on the bay), with this knowledge now, I'd probably go with the slotted, to ensure less chance of cracks.... we'll see :)

Yeah have heard about that. They also list dimpled & grooved might see if I can get those as they will give a similar look to drilled but be more solid?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »
Sounds like the ideal compromise!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:40 pm »
Just finished gathering all the bits for my NQS BBK. I decided on Brembo discs and Brembo pads. I'm not bothered about grooved or slotted myself so it was a wee bit cheaper. I also got the extra porsche pad wear sensor and 4 Porsche Anti Rattle Shims (cant stand squeaky brakes) and some Cera Tec Lube. Still need some Brake Fluid but just going OEM.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:45:33 pm »
Do you have links for the Anti Rattle Shims and Brembo pads you bought?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:12:09 pm »
Do you have links for the Anti Rattle Shims and Brembo pads you bought?

You can get them fro ECP though someone posted another site that does them cheaper.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Porsche_911_3.6_2004/p/car-parts/brakes/brake-friction/brake-pad/?101339140&1&f8b915588bfab776fd869eb6b266c62ee02e45fb&000036
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:21:16 pm »
 I bought the Shims from eurocarparts.com but then found out they are a lot cheaper from Porsche themselves.  :sad1:

The pain was lessened though by a 30% discount code "lastchance30" that PJ posted, more than likely still works. £56.12, free delivery. EDIT: Code still works!

The Shims....

Click here

The Brembo discs are the standard size Vented 312mm 25mm Vented discs. Got these from apbrakediscs.co.uk and used discount code "iluvhoses" for 15% off  so only cost £54.27 including shipping.

The Discs...

Click here

:happy2:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:25:09 pm by MC71 »

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:32:06 pm »
Just realised you said PADS, not DISCS. Reading fail!  :sad1:

Anywho, I got the pads from eBay, £50.06 with free delivery...

Click here

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:46 am »
Thanks Mate :happy2:

My updated plan:
Pads: Brembo
Discs: Mtec Dimpled/Grooved
Brake Fluid: OEM

Wasn't planning on the Shims but think I should as I also hate noisy brakes. So I need 4 and they are £20 each? On ECP site it says priced per axel does that not mean you get at least 2 for £20? Or do I actually have to order 4 in the qty?

Can anyone confirm regarding rubbing on the 20mm spacers on the front with a 30mm drop and Monza II's?

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:25:09 am »
^^^^
Don't get me started on ECP and their "meaning" of axel! You will need 4 and unfortunately that price is for just one shim so yes it's £80, with the 30% discount price its £54.12.

I think they are around £40 from a Porsche dealer if you have one near by. The Shims were never made for the 986 Calipers so if you get them from a Dealer they are the Cayman 2.7/3.4 Shims IIRC.

Can't help re spacers, sorry. Not sure if spacers are needed for Monza's with the NQS BBK, am probably wrong though. I had Pescara's and with them being 18"x7.5" ET51 about 5mm is needed so some peeps get the 8mm Hubcentric spacers and all is good. I just bought new wheels in 18"x8" ET44 and gained 13mm inside the rim for the NQS BBK.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 11:28:30 am »
yes you do need spacers or the monza's wont clear, you need 10mm hubcentric spacers (h&R) to clear the calipers and you need to do the arch screw mod to get rid of the rubbing so not too much of a problem  :happy2:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 11:56:40 am »
^^^^
Don't get me started on ECP and their "meaning" of axel! You will need 4 and unfortunately that price is for just one shim so yes it's £80, with the 30% discount price its £54.12.

I think they are around £40 from a Porsche dealer if you have one near by. The Shims were never made for the 986 Calipers so if you get them from a Dealer they are the Cayman 2.7/3.4 Shims IIRC.

Can't help re spacers, sorry. Not sure if spacers are needed for Monza's with the NQS BBK, am probably wrong though. I had Pescara's and with them being 18"x7.5" ET51 about 5mm is needed so some peeps get the 8mm Hubcentric spacers and all is good. I just bought new wheels in 18"x8" ET44 and gained 13mm inside the rim for the NQS BBK.

Ah ok thanks. I do get frustrated with the ECP site quite often as there is always inaccurate/incorrect info on there. Think I will get them off ECP, with the 30% code it aint too bad.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 11:58:55 am »
yes you do need spacers or the monza's wont clear, you need 10mm hubcentric spacers (h&R) to clear the calipers and you need to do the arch screw mod to get rid of the rubbing so not too much of a problem  :happy2:

Yeah was pretty sure I needed spacers. So I think I will go for 10/12mm on the front to avoid any major issues and 20mm on the rear for looks :happy2:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:15 pm »

Yeah was pretty sure I needed spacers. So I think I will go for 10/12mm on the front to avoid any major issues and 20mm on the rear for looks :happy2:

are you not better off going for same size spacers front and rear? looks a bit odd otherwise imo
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1