Make a donation

Author Topic: The alternatives to Sky TV  (Read 8684 times)

Saintsteve

Re: The alternatives to Sky TV
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »
I'd love to change from Sky TV. Just seems easier to stay put.  :sad1:

I have no idea where to look as we have Sky+HD, Full programme package (needed for sport and movies) Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk, Sky broadband (which is sh*te) and I'm sure there's something else. My brother says I'm "Sky's bitch".

We have an intruder......  :grin:

Seriously... anyone paying 50-60 quid PM for sky needs their bonce checking!

Your not wrong. i can't believe how our Sky bill has expanded over the last 20 odd years Our flat bill (excluding extra phone calls abroad & all the hired movies) is about £105 PM.

It's because people forget, Sky do more then just Tv now. so paying £35 10 years ago has increased by £15 in this time for the equivalent tv package, and not including HD content, which wasn't about then.

Back then people where paying separate telephone and broadband fees, so that's why it appears why people don't understand why they pay a TV company so much money...

Oh and your brothers got the wrong person  :wink:

I wouldn't run 4 HD +'s if I didn't work for them..I have a Freesat main tv so if I get the boot, I can switch to that  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:36:43 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=tkcoqqn731afjoelba1vpelmjj&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:54 pm »
Do sky boxes still require to be connected directly to a phone socket?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 05:03:59 pm »

Yeah. Saying that my ex's family got away with it for years as you only really need that for on demand services, saying that when they upgraded to skyHD they had to run a phone cable to it

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 05:09:04 pm »

I think they are supposed to be but since mine was Installed the telephone connection has never worked (engineer was supposed to come back to fix it but never botherd)

Sky is the only option up here to get any extra channels on top of free view.

I normally just watch Comedy central, Fox, Discovery and Discovery turbo.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 05:21:30 pm »
I'm desperate for an alternative. Cancelled my hd and movies package last week to cut costs. All I watch is fox, sky one, sky Atlantic and the f1 channel. Suppose I could live without all but the f1 channel.

Any other way to get the f1 channel? Seems I'm paying for sky just for f1 and I'd love a better broadband provider.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:34:58 pm by winrya »

Saintsteve

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:09 pm »

Only if you have multiroom--- fact

Stops people moving boxes from address to address and watch sky on the 2nd,3rd,4th viewing cards .

Phone line proves boxes location.

Single box isn't needed to be, only for interactive spend more money function or box office/on demand.
subscriptions are not reduced on a single card hence why phone doesn't have to be attached.

This answers the question .  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=tkcoqqn731afjoelba1vpelmjj&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 05:33:45 pm »
 :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 06:07:16 pm »

Stops people moving boxes from address to address and watch sky on the 2nd,3rd,4th viewing cards .

Single box isn't needed to be, only for interactive spend more money function or box office/on demand.
subscriptions are not reduced on a single card hence why phone doesn't have to be attached.

My mum n dad had Multi-room and used to take one box on holiday with them in the caravan (my mum cannot miss her Tennis!) and both boxes worked fine, they did that for 4-5 years at least  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 06:13:41 pm »
^^^^ No need for that anymore with Sky Go. I get a LOT of use out of Sky Go, one of the best things they've done in years, some great features.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Saintsteve

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 06:13:54 pm »

My mum n dad had Multi-room and used to take one box on holiday with them in the caravan (my mum cannot miss her Tennis!) and both boxes worked fine, they did that for 4-5 years at least  :happy2:

They will still work, but if they were removing for holidays, coming home and reconnecting, the minute the box senses dial tone, it will call back Sky by itself.

Some people get away with it, but if they do, they take the risk of making each viewing card missing its scheduled call back a full charge debit from their bank account. Sky issue 3 warning letters before this happens.

They also monitor what's called Call back sequences, ie all boxes on a multi basis should reply 1 after the other. If they don't and one responds say a week later from the other, the customer is written too, and warned about charges etc.

You take the chance but if you do take boxes on holiday Repeatly, or be silly enough if abroad to phone in with a fault, the call centre pick up where the call is being generated from so be carefull.  :happy2:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:09 pm »
I wish you could get the Discovery channels on Freeview then I would leave - I cant do without my fix of Wheeler Dealers and Fifth Gear though , Ive got the Sports Pack just for the F1 as well , as I fell out of love with football a few years ago and now dont watch a single game.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:31 pm »
I card share for 20 quid a month and get all sky channels for that

Tell me more.........

Saintsteve

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »
I card share for 20 quid a month and get all sky channels for that

Tell me more.........
Card cloning..

This is being investigated at Sky currently.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:21:54 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 06:28:33 pm »

It's the multi room that the phone line has never worked on, it's been like that for 3 years now and I have never recieved a letter or warning from sky about it not being connected.

I was hoping they would send a letter or call with a warning so I could point out that I called sky a week after the engineer failed to return to ask when he was returning to finish installing the phone line.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »
You take the chance but if you do take boxes on holiday Repeatly, or be silly enough if abroad to phone in with a fault, the call centre pick up where the call is being generated from so be carefull.  :happy2:

They can't do that if you withhold your number.  :wink: