Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of setting foot on that slippery slope......  (Read 635 times)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Thinking of setting foot on that slippery slope......
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:09 pm »
Hi all
         After attending the Dyno Day at PDT in Sunderland yesterday I am tempted to start modding my car and get a Stage 1 map. I got quoted £249 @ PDT for the map and because I ran on the RR yesterday I can claim that £30 back on the map and get it down to £219 if I get it done in the next 30 days. I have worries though , my insurer (Swiftcover) doesnt cover modded cars so I will have to switch insurers to a mod-friendly one. Also I have a VW warranty till October , mapping the car would void this? Also I got 2 free services from VW when I bought my car , I'm worried that they wipe my map off when they connect my car to the computer. I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts?

Cheers
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Thinking of setting foot on that slippery slope......
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:51:51 pm »
Mapping your car would void some of the warranty. For example if the engine goes bang, they would blame the remap. If a shock absorber fails, they can't really blame a remap for that failure  :confused:

PDT get great reviews on here (and they provide lots of support) so you can't go wrong there  :happy2:

I used to specifically ask them not to update the ECU map to avoid this worry. Sometimes they can't update the map if it's remapped anyway.

Greenlight are a fantastic insurer. Having a remap and switching to Greenlight was actually cheaper then having a stock car with a main stream insurer  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:18:40 pm »
Yeah good points there... i saw a thread on here saying that my local VW Dealer (Western VW Edinburgh)  are doing Revo maps that allow you to keep the warranty , but they don't set it up on a rolling road , and they charge £600!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:49:08 pm »
I went from Swiftcover to Adrian Flux they were cheaper too!

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come