Make a donation

Author Topic: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.  (Read 16758 times)

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
My mate came into work and said the two cops were great guys laughing and joking with him, thought to himself getting away with this no way they are humping me...........4months later and the court case arrived. He was sh*tting himself, same story representing himself, smartly dressed and very little trouble before, they still f*cked him. No way its going to be just £100 fine, the admin will cost that. Hope i'm wrong, maybe scottish cops are just harsh as f*ck and you could be lucky.

Stevie.  :drinking:

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:29 pm »
I got done a couple of years back for doing 96 in a 70 and was given 5 points and £230 fine. Might be ball park for you mate. Like you, I just took it on the chin. Got caught in a "drag" with a car that wouldn't let me overtake legitimately on a dual carriageway (70mph).

The policeman who stopped me was very understanding as I was completely at fault and held my hands up. He said I was 2mph from being given 3 points and £60.

Didn't attend court as pleaded guilty via post. Don't know if that makes a difference however.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »
Ian I feel for you. :( Hopefully the below will help, and I know it won't be a easy ride til court - it is stomach turning. There are some rediculous speed limits about and this sounds like one - certainly loads where I am.

76 mph is where the limit changes from FPN to summons (although the option for summons is offered below 76 but it's upto the police), and police do have discretion to up/down this limit. Obviously depends on the cops unfortunately - for example one of my mates got a 3 pointer ticket for doing 60 in 30 mph zone at 02:00. Of no consolation I know though.

Pleading guilty at the earliest oppertunity will generally get you a discount on the fine which is based on weekly income however if you don't fill in the income page it is assumed to be £100. If you want to go guilty you don't actually need to go to court, but being present and saying sorry can help with the penalties and mitigation is certainly taken into consideration - certainly if you go in and say about work etc, you may be able to get fewer points for a larger fine, but totally upto the magistrate.

Did they laser you? Follow check or literally just callibrated speedo?? Just curious more than anything.  :confused:

Check this - it's the Magistrates sentencing guidelines and what the court will work off - speeding is page 131:
http://www.northants.police.uk/files/linked/WCU/Magistrate%20Sentencing%20Guidelines.pdf

The guidance for the speed is 5-6 points OR 7-56 disqualification. You won't be disqualified that's 99.9999999% sure as you're literally just over the threshold and the fact you plan to go guilty. 79 mph means it will be a Band B fine so the least it will be will be eqv to 75% of your weekly income. This can range upto 125% of your weekly income.

Did you get a verbal NIP aka "I'm reporting you for the consideration of prosecuting you for the offence of excess speed blah blah blah". If so, that's all that's needed. Saying that it can sometimes be a warning, but it's 6 months for a prosecution to occur. There is no need to interview you/take a statement from you. Anything you saw could be noted by the cops and go in their statement but upto them. The only time you'd be interviewed in the car was when they wanted to confirm stuff like "Are you aware of the speed limit" etc etc. Makes their more water tight in some circumstances, but not needed. Let me know if I can help you any more. :(

I got done a couple of years back for doing 96 in a 70 and was given 5 points and £230 fine. Might be ball park for you mate. Like you, I just took it on the chin. Got caught in a "drag" with a car that wouldn't let me overtake legitimately on a dual carriageway (70mph).

The policeman who stopped me was very understanding as I was completely at fault and held my hands up. He said I was 2mph from being given 3 points and £60.

Didn't attend court as pleaded guilty via post. Don't know if that makes a difference however.

That' crazy. Anything upto 99 is a ticket where I am! :scared:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:04:16 pm by jonnym »
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 07:03:33 pm »
Ian I feel for you. :( Hopefully the below will help, and I know it won't be a easy ride til court - it is stomach turning. There are some rediculous speed limits about and this sounds like one - certainly loads where I am.

76 mph is where the limit changes from FPN to summons (although the option for summons is offered below 76 but it's upto the police), and police do have discretion to up/down this limit. Obviously depends on the cops unfortunately - for example one of my mates got a 3 pointer ticket for doing 60 in 30 mph zone at 02:00. Of no consolation I know though.

Pleading guilty at the earliest oppertunity will generally get you a discount on the fine which is based on weekly income however if you don't fill in the income page it is assumed to be £100. If you want to go guilty you don't actually need to go to court, but being present and saying sorry can help with the penalties and mitigation is certainly taken into consideration.

Did they laser you? Follow check or literally just callibrated speedo?? Just curious more than anything.  :confused:

Check this - it's the Magistrates sentencing guidelines and what the court will work off - speeding is page 131:
http://www.northants.police.uk/files/linked/WCU/Magistrate%20Sentencing%20Guidelines.pdf

The guidance for the speed is 5-6 points OR 7-56 disqualification. You won't be disqualified that's 99.9999999% sure as you're literally just over the threshold and the fact you plan to go guilty. 79 mph means it will be a Band B fine so the least it will be will be eqv to 75% of your weekly income. This can range upto 125% of your weekly income.

Did you get a verbal NIP aka "I'm reporting you for the consideration of prosecuting you for the offence of excess speed blah blah blah". If so, that's all that's needed. Saying that it can sometimes be a warning, but it's 6 months for a prosecution to occur. Let me know if I can help you any more. :(

Thanks mate, yes I got a verbal NIP as you describe. I reckon I'm going to court. I expect to get 6 points looking at all the responses so far. I shall take it on the chin, and go and do my best in court to demonstrate how seriously I take it and how sorry I am,

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 07:10:38 pm »
CUT
Thanks mate, yes I got a verbal NIP as you describe. I reckon I'm going to court. I expect to get 6 points looking at all the responses so far. I shall take it on the chin, and go and do my best in court to demonstrate how seriously I take it and how sorry I am,

No worries pal. You not hear anything so fingers crossed, but clearly the threat is there and being realistic is probably the best way.

Your insurance company don't need to know btw regardless if what they say. Caselaw states that pending prosecuions only need to be declared when applying for insurance. You are not guitly until the courts says you are. Clearly though you may want to tell them for peace of mind - upto how you feel. Anything else just shout.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »
sorry to hear this mate, its very easily done, recently had a discretion myself, 97 in a 70, 5 points and a £465 fine, expected the points but I thought the fine was a bit on top  :smiley:

Offline n13cah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:19 pm »
The points will be from the guidelines, but for the fine, they will ask you to complete a form before the court case with what you earn and what your outgoings are. It will be enough to hurt you, but so you can afford to pay it.

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 07:38:06 pm »
A member of my family's a magistrate.

From what I've heard the fine/points all depends on how you act in court and what you say, how you come across etc etc.

Refer to the magistrates as sir/ma'am or your worships if you end up going. 

Good luck   :smiley:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 07:39:56 pm »
I got busted doing 67 over the Ladymead crossroads in Guildford in 2011 on August Bank Holiday Sunday, resulted in 3points and £60 fixed penalty. I think these days it's unavoidable.  :sad1:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 07:42:03 pm »

From what I've heard the fine/points all depends on how you act in court and what you say, how you come across etc etc.

....Yeah, but don't call a Sir a Ma'am! Or vica versa! You'll end up in the Tower of London.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 07:54:29 pm »
Sorry to hear this mate.

Another bit of input from my experience.

Got caught doing 89 in a 60 a couple of years back. Only car on the road for miles, dry roads sunny monday mid morning, clean record:
5 Points and £300 + fine IIRC

:sad1:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »

....Yeah, but don't call a Sir a Ma'am! Or vica versa! You'll end up in the Tower of London.

Or an it!

ReeceH13

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »
Hey mate,

If they do decide to prosecute you for whatever reason please let me know as I am a Barristers' Clerk based in London. My Barristers deal with many driving offences cases. If you get anything through the post (court summons) let me know. I can get you free advice if you want from one of my Barristers, and if it does go to court and you want representation I will ensure I send a very good Barrister on your behalf and can put you in touch with a decent solicitor, not sure if you will qualify for Legal Aid on a driving matter but we can discuss your options if it comes to it and if you want to. Sorry, it isn't a sales pitch, just looking out for a fellow forum member  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:34:19 pm by ReeceH13 »

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »
good luck buddy, hope it all sorts
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:21 pm »
Hey mate,

If they do decide to prosecute you for whatever reason please let me know as I am a Barristers' Clerk based in London. My Barristers deal with many driving offences cases. If you get anything through the post (court summons) let me know. I can get you free advice if you want from one of my Barristers, and if it does go to court and you want representation I will ensure I send a very good Barrister on your behalf and can put you in touch with a decent solicitor, not sure if you will qualify for Legal Aid on a driving matter but we can discuss your options if it comes to it and if you want to. Sorry, it isn't a sales pitch, just looking out for a fellow forum member  :happy2:

Thanks very much Reece. Much appreciated. I will contact you when the paperwork comes through  :happy2:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.