Make a donation

Author Topic: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.  (Read 16770 times)

Offline damoegan

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »
I got caught doing 74 in a 50 a few years ago and only got 3 points and a £60 fine...

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »
^^^^^^^

Yer there's different guidelines for 74mph.falls in a lower band

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2013, 08:35:51 pm »

I hope they wear high-viz gear because otherwise it would be easy to think they were a hitman/woman - Should they now be called 'hitperson'?

Now there's a thought!!

Quick call to the Police, "Someone has just aimed a gun at me in a threatening fashion".... wouldn't take long for the Armed reponse to be there! :grin:  IT also doubles up as an excuse for speeding.

Think I'll leave it up to someone else to try though.

....YES!! I like your idea!  :happy2:

Don't exceed the speed limit but call the Police anyway about the perceived 'armed and dangerous' encounter.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 10:08:03 pm »

I hope they wear high-viz gear because otherwise it would be easy to think they were a hitman/woman - Should they now be called 'hitperson'?

Now there's a thought!!

Quick call to the Police, "Someone has just aimed a gun at me in a threatening fashion".... wouldn't take long for the Armed reponse to be there! :grin:  IT also doubles up as an excuse for speeding.

Think I'll leave it up to someone else to try though.

....YES!! I like your idea!  :happy2:

Don't exceed the speed limit but call the Police anyway about the perceived 'armed and dangerous' encounter.

jokes, that actually happened apparently - a friend in the RAF told me about the RAF Police doing speed checks on military roads outside the base when the IRA were very active years back. One raf tech was speeding and knew it and so floored it straight past them to the guard room to report what he suspected to be IRA activity. The whole terrorist contingency plans were implemented and the raf police told not to do speed gun on roads outside of the base - plus one lucky speeder.
Don't know how true it is though.

These schemes are useful. You talked about hi-vis jackets and guess these should be covered in risk assessment but that was one of the main points in the cambridgeshire. The volunteers would have someone in hi-vis but not in view so the person using the equipment didn't stand out. Obviously if you don't speed you don't get caught, but the main thing about the schemes is that they are meant to deter people exceeding the limit. The danger though, as demonstrated, is that people make it their mission (and no doubt feel slightly satisfied as a result) to catch as many people as people. This where some schemes fail.
There are a lot of stereotypes attached to those volunteering as well - one being "old people with nothing better to do". It is commendable that they want to be active citizens. I guess the following generations don't really feel morally obliged to do this sort of stuff??
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline scottm72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »
my brother in law got caught doing 82mph on a 50 zone around 6 months ago
he hired a solicitor and ended up getting out of it due to the calabration of the speed gun not being up to date.
dont know how common that is but if i got stopped myself i would probably ask for proof that i was doing that speed once it was clear i wasnt going to get just a warning.
it would annoy the officers but at this stage they are going to charge you anyway.

i dont know how it stands with speeding, do they need video proof ?
or is it enough that 2 officers agree you where speeding ?
i know they will speed gun you but does that device actually record what car is actually doing that speed ?

must be noted though that my brother in law ended up with no ban etc but did have a £4k solicitor bill  :surprised:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »
I don't think you will get more than 6 points.

Know of a member that got taken to court for 3 bald tyres, and he got off with 3 points and a small fine!!!!

Then a year later he launches his monster across a dual carriageway central reservation crashing into oncoming traffic, and he only got 4 points for that wtf!

The key seems to be to suck up to the judges/magistrates. This guys good at that.

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:57 pm »
There's always gonna be proof because it's on the speed gun.

Could always try the calibration I suppose.

4k, jesus! I suppose work out the fine and the rise in insurance for the next few years and see which works out cheaper!

Narr 6 points is the maximum. As long as you dress smartly and show remorse and you're polite its going to be a lot more beneficial! But I'm sure you will. I've seen lots of people attend court in their smartest Lonsdale trainers and trakkie bottoms. God knows why they think turning up like that is a smart idea!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2013, 10:59:10 pm »
I don't think you will get more than 6 points.

Know of a member that got taken to court for 3 bald tyres, and he got off with 3 points and a small fine!!!!

Then a year later he launches his monster across a dual carriageway central reservation crashing into oncoming traffic, and he only got 4 points for that wtf!

The key seems to be to suck up to the judges/magistrates. This guys good at that.

Sounds like your mate  was definitely sucking ON a magistrate  :signLOL:

Good luck Ian, fingers crossed all goes well  :happy2:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline scottm72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2013, 11:19:58 pm »

4k, jesus! I suppose work out the fine and the rise in insurance for the next few years and see which works out cheaper!

Narr 6 points is the maximum. As long as you dress smartly and show remorse and you're polite its going to be a lot more beneficial! But I'm sure you will. I've seen lots of people attend court in their smartest Lonsdale trainers and trakkie bottoms. God knows why they think turning up like that is a smart idea!
the £4k bill was the solicitors trying all different ways of getting out of it, the gun calibration was something they thought of at the end hence the large bill.
As for people coming dressed in their best lonsdale trainers and trackie bottoms, what complete idiots, they would have been as well turning up in their pyjamas.
I suppose if you where to ask for evidence the speed gun used was calibrated and up to date with certificate of this would be an inconvenience to the police but i suppose it is within your rights and is something you could do yourself without the intervention and cost of a solicitor, after all you are only asking if the equipment used was working properly.
Each speed gun has its own service / calibration certificate with a USAGE date.
I think that is something i would look into myself once i got the paperwork through, just a thought
 :happy2:

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »

the £4k bill was the solicitors trying all different ways of getting out of it, the gun calibration was something they thought of at the end hence the large bill.
As for people coming dressed in their best lonsdale trainers and trackie bottoms, what complete idiots, they would have been as well turning up in their pyjamas.
I suppose if you where to ask for evidence the speed gun used was calibrated and up to date with certificate of this would be an inconvenience to the police but i suppose it is within your rights and is something you could do yourself without the intervention and cost of a solicitor, after all you are only asking if the equipment used was working properly.
Each speed gun has its own service / calibration certificate with a USAGE date.
I think that is something i would look into myself once i got the paperwork through, just a thought
 :happy2:

Your well within their rights to ask for a certificate/proof. If they want to be difficult let them be, but generally they should be fine with it. It's part of the job. If you ask to see a callibration certificate you probably won't see one, but there will be a sticker on the side of the gun which is stuck on by the manufacturer when they do the testing (callibration is done by the manufacturer). It'll state date/time/number etc etc. Cops also should do pre and post checks on the gun anyway like a distance check and a beam allignment one to check what you targe is actually what you get.

Sucking up to the judges works a treat! I went to court for having my foglights on in my old r32 and went not guilty (they were aftermarket DRLs) and the magistrate loved me. Case dismissed within 10 minutes!! But equally if they like you the punishment dished out is less. Quick thing on the points. If you get reported for 3 offences which attract points, say I went through a red light, whilst talking on the my phone and speeding you'll only get 3 points for this but then the fine will relate to the 3 offences. You'll only get points for 1 offence - generally the higher one. My example tho you'll probably get stuck on for careless driving which is a different kettle of fish.

I love my degree :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:40:25 pm by jonnym »

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2013, 06:28:56 pm »
Does anyone know the legal timeline by which they have to have contacted me by post?

This is living hell, I'm driving everywhere like Mother Teresa.I'd rather just take the 6 point hit now.  :sad1:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »
I think it could be anything up to months if not weeks, dont quote me on that  :confused:

Try not to worry about, I know its easy for me to say, but it's happened now not alot you can do....

2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:53 pm »
I think it could be anything up to months if not weeks, dont quote me on that  :confused:

Try not to worry about, I know its easy for me to say, but it's happened now not alot you can do....

Unfortunately true. The summons can take anything upto 6 months to arrive :(

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:20 pm »

This is living hell, I'm driving everywhere like Mother Teresa.I'd rather just take the 6 point hit now.  :sad1:

....All of us who have been hit for speeding whether it's a case like yours or just a standard 3pts+£60, have experienced what you are feeling now, Ian. You actually begin to question whether you can ever enjoy your driving again! And, if you are like me, you feel sickened that authority has any powers over you regardless of the rights and wrongs of it.

All you have to do to help get over it is be absolutely rigid in keeping to the 20/30/40/50 limits regardless of the dry clear conditions and lack of traffic and pick your moments on 60/70 roads very carefully and responsibly and anyway in the UK keep it under 96. You can have a lot of driving enjoyment on B-roads without very high speeds.

Do you have any alert devices such as PogoAlert etc - They are legal and really do help to alert you to any speed camera locations you happen to miss.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Real Thing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 10:32:29 pm »
Does anyone know the legal timeline by which they have to have contacted me by post?

This is living hell, I'm driving everywhere like Mother Teresa.I'd rather just take the 6 point hit now.  :sad1:
Unfortunately can be Months I got caught in excess of 125 mph (was over 20 years ago when speeding wasn't such a hangable offence)  and after about 4 Months was beginning to think they had forgot about me appeared in court 6 months after offence
BTW: Before you all think how reckless. it was 2.00 in the morning and the only other Car on the Motorway was the BiB behind me
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:45:58 pm by Real Thing »
Golf MK6 R TTE420 & Gen1 RS3