Make a donation

Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: Oscar Pistorius
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 02:40:13 pm »
What I fail to understand in all this, is that he is claiming it wasn't premeditated murder, and that he thought he was shooting an intruder. What is the difference between shooting dead your girlfriend through a bathroom door, and shooting dead a burglar through a bathroom door? In each case you shoot dead someone who wasn't threatening you, so you can't claim it was in self-defence.

Trust me Andrew, in Africa you don't wait to find out........... It will be the difference between you being dead or the other person. It's a fact of life over there. I have had close friends in South Africa shot and some killed in front of their wife and kids. I would have done exactly the same as him, especially considering his disability.

Those who have not lived under the constant threat of your life being taken from you on a daily basis should not be making any calls on this case. Let's not damn a person until we know the full story. I for one am keeping an open mind.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:33 pm »
Yeah, that's fair enough. Is it still against the law though?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
Killing anyone is against the law period, but it's so much more complex than that. Who gives a damn about the law if you're dead? They never catch the barstewardss who rape and murder and turn the average persons life into a living nightmare, it's only the honest people who try and do the right thing who get crucified.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 03:36:59 pm »
I'm not really after a conversation about morals and what is wrong or right, more what is technically the law over there.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 03:45:11 pm »
South Africa is the place where it is legal to fit flamethrowers to your car in case of car jackers. A place that considers the rights of the offender it is not.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
If somebody breaks into your house, you are entitled to kill that person under certain circumstances. If the burglar runs away and you kill that person anyway, you could be exceeding the bounds of self-defence. If, however, you are faced with a situation where you fear for your life or safety, you would be entitled to kill the intruder.

South African courts understand that these scenarios happen very quickly, usually at night. A householder cannot sit down and decide objectively exactly what should be done. You could reasonably expect any intruder to be armed and capable of doing you harm. The courts tend to accept a broad definition of self-defence.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b4q7k428kq6naqokpstba2u45q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 04:22:41 pm »
If i thought that there was someone in my house at nighttime.... and realised that Laura wasn't in bed... wouldn't it be the logical thing to presume that the noise i can hear is her>? Instead of clubbing the 'intruder' around the head.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 04:25:32 pm »
Your average burglar doesnt lock themselves in the bathroom. Unless they are obsessive self harming burglars.

Maybe he thought it was the wank bandit, secretly breaks in and has a right hand shuffle in your shower.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 04:26:42 pm »
I thought he thought his wife was away and was not due back for days hence when he heard someone in the house he shot first and then realised it was his wife being back early

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »
realised that Laura wasn't in bed...

Depends if Laura is your partner or your pet dog/cat/goat :grin:
'07 Red manual

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:04 pm »
I thought he thought his wife was away and was not due back for days hence when he heard someone in the house he shot first and then realised it was his wife being back early

That was the initial report. His testimony today confirmed that he thought she was in bed alongside him.

If i thought that there was someone in my house at nighttime.... and realised that Laura wasn't in bed... wouldn't it be the logical thing to presume that the noise i can hear is her>? Instead of clubbing the 'intruder' around the head.

It is 100% the logical thing to think!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:34 pm »

My argument in a nutshell (as pertains to this case), my first and only thought would be for my wife (and kids if they were about) and to blindly go shooting at "someone" in the bathroom as your very FIRST course of action is a weak excuse IMHO.

I listened to his testimony being read out and it just doesn't sit well with me, all far to flimsy. It's his word and that's it, sounded like a "story" concocted after the event to describe the event.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b4q7k428kq6naqokpstba2u45q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »
Your average burglar doesnt lock themselves in the bathroom. Unless they are obsessive self harming burglars.

Maybe he thought it was the wank bandit, secretly breaks in and has a right hand shuffle in your shower.

No, but force of habit makes you lock the door anyway.