Make a donation

Author Topic: 330 M Sport touring.  (Read 2418 times)

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
330 M Sport touring.
« on: February 16, 2013, 01:33:26 pm »
This is a bit of an advice question as we have a few things happening at home at the minute. Therefore something will more than likely have to change. Now heres the situation, i dont want to get rid of the rocco so it will have to be the RRS if i go ahead, along with the wifes A3 black edition. This is purely as the wife doesnt like the shear size of the rrs so drives it rarely, hence her having the A3. But i need the rrs for towing! Sosomething she can drive comfortably is the likes of a q5, bmw 330 msport touring or a4 3.0 quattro. Also we want it for actual size sounds daft having a rrs but thats the situation. Have a 330 booked for the weekend next wkend from a bmw sales manager i know. He said out of all the cars hes driven it is phenomenal and would be ideal for towing, but (as good as rrs?) Has anyone got towing experience with these? He compared it to the new m3 he had for 6 months and said it was a better drive. Whats the opinions, help appreciated. Cheers.

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: 330 M Sport touring.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »
Does he know what you're towing and is the braked weight enough? What shape 330 E9x? They're a great car, but I feel there's a bit of sales BS going on here. If it's a petrol too, it's deffo not what I'd be looking at. An 535d would be a better option.

My mates with the Bora track car have a mapped 3.0TDI Quattro A4 - it has an unusually high pulling capacity for the size, and would pull your house down, drags it over to the Ring and back with ease. Is sh*te on fuel whilst doing so.

What about a cheap Tranny/Vito/T5 for dragging duties and have a car that doesn't have to do everything?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:23:00 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:09:16 pm »
my money would go on a T5 but again its a big bus so if something smaller then some kind of estate like maybe an audi allroader

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Like Mike says check the plated weight on your trailer vs. the capacity of the car. While 330d can more than likely do the job I suspect it's beyond the official capacity.

I agree with the plan of a cheaper tow vehicle and a car that the Misses will like  :smiley:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »
Cheers guys, appeciate advice just a bit of a hard decision. I have a citroen relay works van brand spanker but i cant be arsed towing with it when im in it all hrs of the week. I want something comfy. It is the brand new 330d msport thats only recentley appeared.  Dont forget theres nog a lot of weight left in the rocco, and the torque from these new 330's is around 430 ish. Its the fully loaded one, i will check but they must be able to tow a stripped rocco within regs?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:59:39 pm »
Cheers guys, appeciate advice just a bit of a hard decision. I have a citroen relay works van brand spanker but i cant be arsed towing with it when im in it all hrs of the week. I want something comfy. It is the brand new 330d msport thats only recentley appeared.  Dont forget theres nog a lot of weight left in the rocco, and the torque from these new 330's is around 430 ish. Its the fully loaded one, i will check but they must be able to tow a stripped rocco within regs?

It would be interesting to see. The rocco is still a big lump and sits on a decent sized trailer.  :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:01:44 pm »
It's not the going that's the problem it's the stopping.  :smiley:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:09:09 pm »
I reckon it will certainly feel different than the RR. On the last trip to the Ring i was in a RR towing PG's car and you couldnt tell it was their  :laugh:, even when having to dive on the brakes through Belgium.  :happy2:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 11:20:14 pm »
I know exactly what you mean tc and i wouldnt even begin comparing it to the rr. I would just like something similar if you know what i mean?. Im in a catch 22 situation and dunno whats best!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:10 pm »
I know exactly what you mean tc and i wouldnt even begin comparing it to the rr. I would just like something similar if you know what i mean?. Im in a catch 22 situation and dunno whats best!

Fit a horn and a tax disc and drive the car to the track like the rest of us.  :grin:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 11:33:32 pm »
Ha youve seen the car and theres no comfort involved in that pal especially a long trip like spa!! I really have no ida whats best!!!!!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47:35 am »
What about a smaller 4x4 how much room do you need or will its main job be towing

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:32:10 am »
Well we need quite a bit of room, have 1 daughter, an imminent baby on the horizon and a labrador to contend with. Then obviously towing duties. I have obviously looked at the Q5 , would it really be much bigger than the a3, the 3.0ltr is few and far between for a good spec, would the2.0 have the guts? Ive tried persuading her that the X5 is a bit smaller!

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:42 am »
What about the jag xf sportbrake or the new audi sq5 with the 3.0 twin turbo d?

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 09:23:44 am »
Ive been looking at braked trailer weights and the bmw, jaguar and  a4  are all between 1750-1850kg. The trailers 565 and the rocco is around 1100-1150kg. This falls in the bracket of being fine, whats the general opinions regarding which motor would be best suited?