Make a donation

Author Topic: Fan noise  (Read 617 times)

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Fan noise
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:13 pm »
Hi all,
I have been playing with my car today (mk5 gti) and I have snapped a piece off the coolant fan from around the edge accidentally. Now every time it kicks in the entire car vibrates and the fan is quite loud. Is this all due to the piece that is missing?

Also, the fan is ridiculous it is almost continuously spinning, it will spin for around 10 seconds then slow down to a stop, and 2 seconds later will kick back in again. It is doing this on a continual loop... Is this normal??

I am presuming its the coolant fan... It's the larger of the two on the passenger side.

Please help me, it's driving me mad!!

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
Re: Re: Fan noise
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:35:53 pm »
Yup, you've boloxd it.
All you can do is replace the fan unit,which if you're handy with a screwdriver and a spanner you can do yourself.
The fans can be bought separately-I paid around £100 for the smaller one when a stone took out a blade on it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Fan noise
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »
Yup, you've boloxd it.
All you can do is replace the fan unit,which if you're handy with a screwdriver and a spanner you can do yourself.
The fans can be bought separately-I paid around £100 for the smaller one when a stone took out a blade on it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

F*ck sake!!!!! Can't wait for that, thanks for the diagnosis mate!  :happy2:

Also, I have changed the thermostat today, but it is still not getting to 90 degrees, even after sitting still for 15 mins idling. Which temp sender is the one most likely to be the dud? The one beside the engine? As I have taken the lid off the header tank and the coolant is hot.. And my blowers are still cold!!

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:53 am »
Would this unit fit?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=230931741982&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=67873561954

All the fittings and plug looks the same as mine though... And is only up the road from me too!

Offline ashw831

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »
Any one know??