Make a donation

Author Topic: Road tyres for track...  (Read 10792 times)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Road tyres for track...
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 07:35:43 pm »
I dont see the point of slicks on a track day. Your not competing and it soon gets boring driving round everyone. It needs to be a serious hobby if you want to put slicks on, you will be by passing the point of track days before you learn to drive a bit.  :wink:

I agree with this entirely. I ran slicks (2nd hand Dunlops from a Radical) on my track car for a couple of seasons, and whilst the grip was hilarious once they were warm, I've since had more fun driving the car with AD08s. Slower, yes, but more fun as you can play with the balance at lower speeds with a more progressive grip transition. I prefer the AD08s to 888s on my car, as they appear more consistent and harder wearing.

What's the TFSI engine like for oil starvation when used on track with high grip tyres? Both cars I use on track have a baffled sump / semi-dry sump to try and mitigate the chances of oil starvation death. 

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
Re: Road tyres for track...
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »
Any particular reason for you not to mention Michelin PS3?  :smiley:

Still not on a par with the PSS or the new P Zero Silver.
A great daily though and seems further improved since it has been first introduced.

Agree with the slicks. You just can can run them in the dry and lateral force will be
so high, they might cause failure to engine and suspension.

Yoko AD08 are a great compromise and you'll drive to the track safely on these.
Don't forget the RE070 which are stunning value, if you want 17".
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:02:42 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."