Make a donation

Author Topic: London to Brighton Bike Ride  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
London to Brighton Bike Ride
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:34:53 pm »
Hey guys & gals

I will be entering my 1st London to Brighton Bike Ride this year...am expecting it to be a challenge especially as yesterday was the first time I have ridden for over 12 years :grin:

Anyone else planning to take part?

Registration opens tomorrow morning :happy2:

Kalpesh
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
Re: London to Brighton Bike Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:38:10 pm »
Me and my girlfriend are going to enter this year.

Have never done it before good excue to get out on my bike more.

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:22:21 pm »
I won't be doing the London to Brighton ride because I'm from near Manchester but the organisers do various other rides which I'm planning on doing this year, the main one being the Manchester to Blackpool ride which is around 60 miles but I'll be doing it on a handbike. Only ordering my bike in a week or so though so won't have much time to get used to it but it's all part of the fun and it's not like I'm racing, just raising money for charity :)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:11 pm »
I have done it twice in the past and raised a decent amount for a charity close to my heart.  :happy2:

Great laugh until you get to those bloody hills. Might think about it again if I get some training in over the next couple of weeks.

NOTE TO SELF: Buy a big tub of Vaseline!!  :laugh:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »
Have you got an iPhone Kalpesh? If so I recommend the www.strava.com app as a handy training tool.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:33 pm »
Have you got an iPhone Kalpesh? If so I recommend the www.strava.com app as a handy training tool.

No iPhone but I have got one of those Garmin Edge 500 devices. Looks like I can use that :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »
Haven't done it for many years, but have done it a few times. No need to practice too hard as everyone walks up all the hills anyway. The main reason why I stopped doing it, if I'm honest. I liked to ride up the hills and having to zigzag around around rich twots with 4 grand bikes but no skill got on me tits. All the gear, no idea, I believe the saying goes...

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:51:45 pm »
^^^^ you probably zig zagged around me (not rich but maybe a twot) and my equally unfit friends as we all walked up one particularly large hill. Ho hum, all for charity, or at least it is for me.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »
It was only the rich ones that were irritating, pushing bikes that I could only dream of affording and unable to ride up Ditchling Beacon coz they'd only bought it the week before. Would've been about 95 or 96 last time I did it.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
What bikes did you guys use/will be using?

I will be using the Boardman Hybrid Comp I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:13 pm »
It was only the rich ones that were irritating, pushing bikes that I could only dream of affording and unable to ride up Ditchling Beacon coz they'd only bought it the week before. Would've been about 95 or 96 last time I did it.

Agreed. They made me laugh getting off and walking up on their carbon bikes. I flew up there on my Trek Superfly 29er on offroad tyres. I averaged just under 15mph for the whole ride
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Raffe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 08:41:13 am »
What bikes did you guys use/will be using?

I will be using the Boardman Hybrid Comp I bought a couple of weeks ago.

That's a nice looking bike and perfect for the job.

Rode it a few years ago on my specialized Stumpjumper Elite with 2.1 inch off road tyres, wasn't ideal :ashamed: :signLOL:

Enjoy the day, its really good fun and you get your 'tour de France' style finish with the crowds cheering you in which is cool.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 09:37:05 am »
^^^
Thanks mate.

Yeah plan on enjoying the experience :happy2:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:48:29 am »
Registration complete :happy2:

Now for the training :smiley:

R32UK

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 01:09:15 am »
I did this a few years ago.... really nice ride once you get past the first few hills where you have to walk due to the number of people.

Didnt do any training and ended up using a borrowed bike  :signLOL:

vaseline is your friend  :booty: