Make a donation

Author Topic: Lumpy idle  (Read 12062 times)

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Lumpy idle
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 05:49:07 pm »
When you get the rough idle does the needle more on rev counter as when mine does needle stays perfectly still also when at low speeds does yours feel juddery or smooth

The needle doesn't move at all and at low speeds its feels fine. The slight juddering comes through the pedals an you can sort of hear it.

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Leicester Wedding Photographers
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 09:56:57 am »
I have had the same problem with mine since I bought it a year ago. It doesn't bring up any errors at all on the computer but you can feel it slightly on idle through the pedal and through the car vibration. Feels like a very slight drop in revs and each drop literally lasts half a second then returns to normal for 2-3 seconds then I feel another drop and this just repeats doing random drops. However when accelerating it completely dissapears.

I've never found a solution to it. I would love someone to tell me what it is. I've kinda learned to get used to it and I forget its there most of the time. But there is times when I realise its there and it irritates me like mad! lol

Offline Meeky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 10:27:35 am »
I've exactly the same problem. Kinda jutters for a split second and back to normal.

Needle never moves but i agree it drives me crazyyyy also..just when i'm just sitting in the car and its spluttering and getting on very badly!!  :fighting:
Vw Golf MK5 GTi '05 Diamond Black

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Leicester Wedding Photographers
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 11:51:18 am »
I've noticed with mine, if its at night and the headlights are on, I can actually see the headlights dim very very slightly each time I feel the drop in revs. I mean you do have to look very closely to see them dim but it is there.

northyracing

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »
Atleast I no there are 3 of us in the same boat now it's actually doin my nut in now can't seem to fix it I have tried changing things but with no results such a shame really. Do either of you notice at low speeds ie around 20 to 30 mph it's feels hesitant when driving almost like not as smooth as they should be

Offline Meeky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »
Mmmm now that you mention it yeah it sometimes feel like it holds back at bit at 20-30mph but after i stick the foot down it flies away fine no bother, but yeah there is definitely something there...hope its something that can be sorted easily and nothing major is wrong!!  :scared:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 12:39:13 pm »
Mmmm now that you mention it yeah it sometimes feel like it holds back at bit at 20-30mph but after i stick the foot down it flies away fine no bother, but yeah there is definitely something there...hope its something that can be sorted easily and nothing major is wrong!!  :scared:

That could well be a difty MAF.

A blast with some electical cleaner (£5 from Halfords) should sort it  :happy2:

I did a search for a how-to which did the trick. only takes 5 mins  :smiley:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Meeky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 01:09:21 pm »
Cheers Gray  :happy2:

I'll have a wee look online when i get a chance and hope it solves the problem!  :smiley:

Saintsteve

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »
To me, it sounds like clogged up intake valves :scared.. Cylinder 4 being the culprit .

I think this causes the sluggish idle

northyracing

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:13 pm »
Cleaned the MAF and still just the same bloody cars

Saintsteve

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 06:21:32 pm »
Cleaned the MAF and still just the same bloody cars

Done a Exhaust emissions test yet fella?? :confused:

northyracing

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 06:35:13 pm »
Not got round to it yet trying to find out what readings are right so I can compare them and see if mine is ok or not

Saintsteve

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 06:52:00 pm »
Surely finding out whether your hydrocarbons are high, indicates a dirty intake/ exhaust issue, and thus poor idle quality? :confused:

northyracing

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 06:55:35 pm »
The problem is I wouldn't know what I am looking at

Saintsteve

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 07:03:07 pm »
The problem is I wouldn't know what I am looking at

Any MOT station will tell you if you have a problem. This is part of an mot test. High idle speed emissions means it will fail the MOT. More then 200 hydrocarbons will constitute a failure.