Make a donation

Author Topic: NEW Öhlins coilovers  (Read 38006 times)

Offline vag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: NEW Öhlins coilovers
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:52 pm »
I'm running BC coilovers on my mk5 track car and can't fault them  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2017, 02:13:54 pm »
Which ones? RA or ER?

Some hefty spring rates available on the RAs!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline vag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2017, 08:08:54 pm »
RA, yes i saw that. i'm a newb when it comes to track setup but 2 track days in and she handles well!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2017, 05:17:55 pm »
RA, yes i saw that. i'm a newb when it comes to track setup but 2 track days in and she handles well!

What was the spring rates that you choose btw? Not that I know what are the ideal for my car, anyway. Just for reference. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2017, 01:41:36 pm »
Interesting.....

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2017, 06:22:50 pm »
The good ship Ohlins has docked and offloaded some tasty treats  :pomppomp:

Not entirely convinced these naff welds on the drop link bracket are going to hold for long. Not a lot of penetration there.  I guess the damper tube is pretty thin and they can't go mad in case it warps the tube or blows through, but we shall see if they hold up to some Millennium Falcon G forces in the corners.  Hopefully I can do the home to Tesco run in 2 parsecs.

willni

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2017, 07:38:34 pm »
The good ship Ohlins has docked and offloaded some tasty treats  :pomppomp:

Not entirely convinced these naff welds on the drop link bracket are going to hold for long. Not a lot of penetration there.  I guess the damper tube is pretty thin and they can't go mad in case it warps the tube or blows through, but we shall see if they hold up to some Millennium Falcon G forces in the corners.  Hopefully I can do the home to Tesco run in 2 parsecs.

Hey wait parsecs are a measure of distance not time!

Didn't want to leave you hanging there :P , interesting to see what you think of them and for your eventual review. Would've thought you'd have gone for something more along the lines of KW DDC ECU coilovers, essentially adjustable by electric.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2017, 07:52:56 pm »
That is a very good point sir!  My buddy Hans did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, so I just stole his boasting methods :grin:

I thought I'd try something different this time buddy.  I've tried numerous coilovers over the years..... Bilstein, H&R, Gaz Gold, KW V3, Koni to name but a few.   They all had their merits....KW by far the market leader for corrosion resistance being (inox) stainless, and Gaz Gold had epic ride quality, so let's see what Captain Oliver Lhin has to offer  :smiley:

I've researched them quite a lot.  Forums, youtube video reviews etc etc.  One comment from a youtube vlogger that stood out was he couldn't feel the impact of cats eyes at all.  You certainly can with the OEM suspension and the aforementioned kits.  That speaks volumes about how fast the DFV valves work.  You can also see that behaviour in action in that clip I posted above  :happy2:

I was mega impressed with the RacingLine kit.  If I am equally impressed by this kit, that'll be me done with the suspension tuning, finally  :happy2:

Oh and the rebuild frequency is 30,000 KM not miles  :confused:  Not a cheap game this  :doh:

willni

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2017, 08:41:50 pm »
That is a very good point sir!  My buddy Hans did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, so I just stole his boasting methods :grin:

I thought I'd try something different this time buddy.  I've tried numerous coilovers over the years..... Bilstein, H&R, Gaz Gold, KW V3, Koni to name but a few.   They all had their merits....KW by far the market leader for corrosion resistance being (inox) stainless, and Gaz Gold had epic ride quality, so let's see what Captain Oliver Lhin has to offer  :smiley:

I've researched them quite a lot.  Forums, youtube video reviews etc etc.  One comment from a youtube vlogger that stood out was he couldn't feel the impact of cats eyes at all.  You certainly can with the OEM suspension and the aforementioned kits.  That speaks volumes about how fast the DFV valves work.  You can also see that behaviour in action in that clip I posted above  :happy2:

I was mega impressed with the RacingLine kit.  If I am equally impressed by this kit, that'll be me done with the suspension tuning, finally  :happy2:

Oh and the rebuild frequency is 30,000 KM not miles  :confused:  Not a cheap game this  :doh:

Lol could've got a higher profile tyres if you hated cats eyes that much :p , but that does sound seriously impressive for more "sporty" suspension albeit for every 30,000 km.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2017, 09:52:31 pm »

Lol could've got a higher profile tyres if you hated cats eyes that much :p , but that does sound seriously impressive for more "sporty" suspension albeit for every 30,000 km.

I've got some 205/55/16 winters and they give a super plush ride, but they also remove the 'GTI' ness!  GTIs need a little thuggishness in the corners and over bumps....but not too much!

I'll play the 30K thing by ear.  That's 2 years of driving for me, so probably about right for servicing.  OEM struts are built to much higher tolerances because they have to last 100K miles....but that tightness increases friction, and friction is the enemy of performance....and performance = shorter life span.  Vicious circle!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2017, 05:34:51 pm »
I can only drool over your new Öhlins, Pudding! I hope they meet or pass your expectations. :drinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2017, 07:21:01 pm »
I can only drool over your new Öhlins, Pudding! I hope they meet or pass your expectations. :drinking:

Thanks matey  :happy2:

Well I fitted them today.  A nice leisurely 5 hours including replacing both outer CV gaiters as they looked a bit tired.

I went with TTRS top mounts up front and the rears lose both the rubber spring pads, but you don't get any noise in the cabin  :happy2:

I will do a full review soon, but I am absolutely blown away by these coilovers  :surprised:   Everything is perfect.... the ride height...the damping....the spring rates.....the ride quality.....it's all exceptionally well judged by Ohlins for a road car  :notworthy:

A nice little weight saving up front vs VWR struts, and the rear assembly is approx 1kg lighter per corner.

I've had many sets of coilovers over the years but these are just something else entirely.  Think go kart firmness but with better than OEM ride quality, in fact, make that LOTS better than OEM ride quality.  Finally the suspension I've always wanted.   The Racingline kit is fantastic for the money, but this is in a whole different league  :happy2:

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2017, 08:10:30 am »
Good work Pudding!

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2017, 09:01:16 am »
They sound brilliant, Kev.  Now you've had the chance to have a good look, do you think they can be wound up to near standard ride height without affecting their attributes?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:53:16 am by splashalot »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:40 am »
Good work Pudding!

Thanks mate.  That rubbery squeaking over speed humps we discussed has disappeared with the TT/RS3 top mounts  :happy2: