Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS510 aftermarket install: problem with GPS fix  (Read 6437 times)

Peskarik

RNS510 aftermarket install: problem with GPS fix
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:43 pm »
Had the RNS510 installed in my E30. Before it was this 500-series radio with inbuilt 6-disk changer.

VW service did the RNS510 installation, antenna went beneath the middle air vent on the dashboard.

The problem is, I never get more than 6 sattelites, most of the time it is 2,3, maybe 4. Or just 0.
So I may have 2D fix, but no 3D fix, and even with 2D fix the NAV may show me swimming over Zurich lake!  :innocent:

Read on sister forum that someone also had similar problem, while others do not have the problem (even though antenna is placed in same position).

I want the antenna to stay hidden, so basically there is no solution to the problem?

Also, is there any description (preferably with pictures) how to take the middle vent cover off? I want to see myself how antenna is  positioned.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: RNS510 aftermarket install: problem with GPS fix
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:05:16 pm »
clicky for removal of HU. Tells you how to remove the vents.

Don't know where VW stuck the antenna but I stuck mine here (red outline):

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:26:56 pm »
Mine is buried further down than that and haven't had a problem with signal so far.  :confused:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:34:03 pm »
How long have you had it turned on for? Mine took a good 30-40 mins to lock-on to my correct position when first used.

The unit remembers when it was last turned on by saving the GPS co-ordinates. If your someway away from that location it takes a while to re-adjust.

Peskarik

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »
well, it takes me about 30 minutes to get home from work, on a 50-60kmh lakeside road. When I get out of office I turn the system on and go to map (I like to see where I am on the road, it's kind of fun  :ashamed: ). And usually the map is correct, even if I do not have a 2D/3D fix, I see the map showing my position correctly. But then I turn of the main road just 20 meters (because of construction work) and NAV looses my coordinates and never regains them till I get home (about 15-20 minutes).

OR it could be that I have no lock when I get out of office, but then I have 2D lock (2-3-4 sattelites) but the system does not adjust my position, and I am driving over the water.  :confused: How come it is so slow?! My portable Nüvi is much faster to adjust.

Also funny thing, when I go from Zurich to work I usually have better luck with satellites than when I go from work home, on same road.  :confused:

I think maybe it is the position of the antenna. I want to see how the garage fixed it inside the vent.

Or do you guys think it could be something else?

Peskarik

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 09:02:12 pm »
clicky for removal of HU. Tells you how to remove the vents.

Don't know where VW stuck the antenna but I stuck mine here (red outline):

Is that then placed right under the vent grille, or did you have to remove the vent assembly and put the antenna under there somewhere?
The guy on the site you provided put antenna somewhere deep behind glovebox compartment.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 09:26:34 pm »
Is that then placed right under the vent grille, or did you have to remove the vent assembly and put the antenna under there somewhere?

Pretty much.

If you look closely at the pics in the link I gave you, you can just about see the 'vent arm' as I call it.
The first pic is removal of the vent control trim.
The second pic is removal of the top vent diffuser.
The third pic is the disconnection of the wiring (which you can ignore).
In the fourth pic, you can see part of the 'vent arm' in the bottom right hand corner of the pic. This is where I've attached my GPS antenna to.

So it's practically under the vent diffuser (basically follow steps 1 and 2 in the link)!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Peskarik

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »

Pretty much.

If you look closely at the pics in the link I gave you, you can just about see the 'vent arm' as I call it.
The first pic is removal of the vent control trim.
The second pic is removal of the top vent diffuser.
The third pic is the disconnection of the wiring (which you can ignore).
In the fourth pic, you can see part of the 'vent arm' in the bottom right hand corner of the pic. This is where I've attached my GPS antenna to.

So it's practically under the vent diffuser (basically follow steps 1 and 2 in the link)!

Roger,  wilco, Red Leader!

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 11:50:40 am »
I just shoved my antenna behind the unit somewhere. Gives flawless GPS connection, never ever had a problem with it.

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 10:53:16 am »
The picture stealthwolf has used is from my little mini instal set of photos as you can actually see where i stuck the puck antennae attached to the back of the dark plastic vent. You say you've also just installed the RNS510 as have I and I also have slight troubles with the unit starting up correctly and finding satellites but a couple of minutes and everything works well. It does get confused though when stopping and starting the car several times in a short space of time but I have been told the the unit needs coding to the vehicle or vise versa so maybe this is whats causing the satellite fix problem you have. I've just bought a hex-usg+can lead so should get it sorted later today.

The various bits of plastic are easy to remove and a old credit card is very much your flexible friend here and then i think a no20 hex screwdriver for a couple of screws. Beware though that if/when you disconnect the airbag light/sign thing you'll get a warning light in the instrument binnacle everytime you start the car afterwards so need that resetting too.

Its a little fiddly and if you a little larger than the normal greasy monkey/stereo fitter type then que lots of swearing, headbutting the windscreen and knocking the rearview mirror every 5 minutes just like me.

Good luck.

Peskarik

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 04:57:54 pm »
The picture stealthwolf has used is from my little mini instal set of photos as you can actually see where i stuck the puck antennae attached to the back of the dark plastic vent. You say you've also just installed the RNS510 as have I and I also have slight troubles with the unit starting up correctly and finding satellites but a couple of minutes and everything works well. It does get confused though when stopping and starting the car several times in a short space of time but I have been told the the unit needs coding to the vehicle or vise versa so maybe this is whats causing the satellite fix problem you have. I've just bought a hex-usg+can lead so should get it sorted later today.

The various bits of plastic are easy to remove and a old credit card is very much your flexible friend here and then i think a no20 hex screwdriver for a couple of screws. Beware though that if/when you disconnect the airbag light/sign thing you'll get a warning light in the instrument binnacle everytime you start the car afterwards so need that resetting too.

Its a little fiddly and if you a little larger than the normal greasy monkey/stereo fitter type then que lots of swearing, headbutting the windscreen and knocking the rearview mirror every 5 minutes just like me.

Good luck.
:smiley:  :drinking:
Today NAV worked fine. I think I'll wait a bit before I start with deadbutting!  :smiley:

Offline andytran

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 09:15:15 am »
You say you've also just installed the RNS510 as have I and I also have slight troubles with the unit starting up correctly and finding satellites but a couple of minutes and everything works well. It does get confused though when stopping and starting the car several times in a short space of time but I have been told the the unit needs coding to the vehicle or vise versa so maybe this is whats causing the satellite fix problem you have. I've just bought a hex-usg+can lead so should get it sorted later today.

Shouldnt be a coding issue? Mine isnt coded to my car and I have no issues at all?

Andy