Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice on end of period for Assured shorthold tenancies  (Read 622 times)

Offline wattso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Advice on end of period for Assured shorthold tenancies
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:27:26 pm »
Hi all,

Figured someone must have gone through something similar so any advice would be appreciated.

Basically my tenancy runs out on the 27th April after being in the property for a year. I've received a communication from 'Romans' the letting agency asking basically if I want to renew (with a fee!! ) or if I intend to vacate the property at the end of the contract.

It then goes onto say "Should you wish to Terminate your tenancy, then we will require the relevant notice to quit, in writing, as per your tenancy agreement"

Now it does state that two months notice should be given to terminate the tenancy however I'm not terminating, I'm just leaving after the 12 month period I've singed for.

Now the only reference I can find to this is in a document entitled 'Tenants guide" by Romans:
"If you wish to terminate your tenancy then two months written notice must be given in accordance with the tenantcy agreement. If either party do not wish to renew a tenancy then towards the end of an tenancy the tenant will be contacted to arrange an appointment for the check-out"

So to me it would suggest that they're going to ask me to pay an adittional two months rent because I've not yet served them notice, yet I'm not asking to terminate the tenancy, I'm simply waiting for the contract to expire and then not renewing?

So legally can I just tell them right now that I don't intend to renew and will be vacating the property on the 27th April. I shouldn't be told I have to stay another 2 months right? Since I've paid in advanced up to the 27th April I shouldn't give them any more rent?

Really appreciate any help.

I can supply relevant sections of my tenancy agreement if It would clear anything up.

Offline Lee01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Advice on end of period for Assured shorthold tenancies
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:02:30 pm »
Check your TA and read carefully, Normally it would revert to a rolling monthly agreement.

I'm a landlord and from reading the info you detail below my understanding is upon reaching month 10 of your tenancy period you should have served notice stating your intention to quit and providing the 8 weeks notice period stipulated in your TA.

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:12:41 pm »
Don't sweat it. Explain to the agency you intend to leave, but hadn't kept track of the date. As long as everyone is happy, you should be able to leave on time. People are usually reasonable. Just assist the letting agency as much as possible with ref to viewings of potential tenants.

I've lived in 5 houses over the past 6.5 years, all rented accommodation. And have asked to leave all 6/12 month terms early.

The wife and I are buying a brand new house at the moment and informed our agents in January that we intend to leave at the end of April. This is 5 months early from a 12 month agreement. Everyone is fine about it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:15:36 pm by Deako »

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:54 am »
As above, you usually are supposed to to give 2 months notice in month 10, but a good agency would write to you at this point and remind you of this, asking you to confirm your intentions. The rental market is very buoyant at the moment so they'll probably be able to get a new tenant quickly, but if not technically they could enforce the contract if they are unable to get a new tenant from 28/04/13. Keep the place really clean tidy and make it readily available for viewings to enhance the possibilty of them getting a new tenant.

The Citizen's Advice Bureau is always very helpful in situations like this.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.