Make a donation

Author Topic: What brake discs for s3 brake setup  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Re: What brake discs for s3 brake setup
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:47 pm »
So what's the final verdict here, as it seems a little mixed to say the least  :signLOL:
I'm probably going to be in the market as well soon for either new pads or discs, so has everybody agreed on OE ones?
It would be a bit nicer though to go for something a bit different like drilled or grooved  :drool:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 12:23:27 pm »
I would avoid drilled. Get grooved.
And Mtec is your place if you want that... as I said, had them before, worked well and had no issues.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=l25j65n5h16pr2nreqtlchuigf&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »
Drilled are a pain in the ass..... sh*t out loads of brake dust

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 12:33:46 pm »
But having drilled, do they not aid in stopping power, plus to help keep things cooler?

The Brake man Mr DaveB is needed for a debate....  :rolleye:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:06 pm »
Drilled and grooved are far noisier than just plain discs. Whether there is a huge increase in braking performance I can't say not having run them back to back.

Probably plain for me next time unless I can find someone local that can do J-hooks.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »
Had a dig round and found these....

These are Brembo -11 castings which have been CNC'd drilled into the Vanes so not hotspots hence hence the curved pattern.

I honestly forgot I had them

The -11's come with painted bells and edges courtesy of Brembo, the wear indicator, theyre also a higher carbon content and surpass OEm quality levels (according to the side of the box)

The pillar vane design is a lot lighter than standard discss too

You can do a search on here for drilled v grooved and amuse yourself all afternoon if you wish but you dont see many race cars with plain discs do you?

If you're doing track days then generally drilled isnt the way to go, depending on what pads you're using grooved isnt the way to go either. Seen DS2500 flattened in 8000 miles on a commuting TT with the tarox cheesegraters fitted

These were £250.....£200 buys them plus posting if anybodys interested

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 01:50:14 pm »
But having drilled, do they not aid in stopping power, plus to help keep things cooler?

No they don't. They are primarily to reduce weight. Grooved can increase intial bite and reduce gassing however gassing is not really a problem with modern pads.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 03:18:59 pm »

No they don't. They are primarily to reduce weight. Grooved can increase intial bite and reduce gassing however gassing is not really a problem with modern pads.

Drilled to reduce weight?

You sure? like really sure....like worthwhile drilling them to save like 30 Grammes tops?

Drilled discs can work well with certain pad compounds and they provide a gas path and is the only way to get cool air to the pad face if you thhink about it. promised myself this wouldnt turn into a drilled v grooved thread.

Modern pads dont produce gas - you got any data for that?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »
No data, just from reading around. With certain compounds, perhaps.. on the road? Really? And drilled certainly does not increase "stopping power" which is limited by the tyres anyway.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/153276/1014271.aspx

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 03:53:45 pm »
Ok mate

Theres a lot of duff info on that thread its far from definitive, cars are getting generally faster and the need to have a compound that works in Alaska in minus 20 conditions as well as trying to stop a 350HP TT or Focus in Dubai means that the compound people need to work much harder to keep up and provide a compound that is regulated and approved.

They can introduce friction levels chemically or physically Pagid RS and most other ceramic pads can add frictionisers to effect the behaviour either when hot or when cold, alternatively sintered pads generate huge heat and can be gassy as indeed can ceramic pads.

The release of vapour on the disc face will take away a lot of heat and therefore for the same car on the same disc and pads driven in the same way the plain discs generally will fade sooner, by how much who knows.

Interesting point. All ceramic discs are drilled due to their higher operating temps as an example.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »
Not disagreeing entirely - I have not read up on Ceramic discs much because, well there's no need to, we know what they do!

But as general rule, most cars (eg Mercs) that come with drilled discs are for looks over performance - They will crack more easily unfortunately. I'm sure the plain discs would fade sooner, again as you said, how much sooner is unknown - But I've never found fade with my R32 setup with OEM discs/pads even when stopping from 140 to 30.  :innocent:

But rather than buy silly discs, the money would be better invested in quality high performance pads and a suitable fluid. I will be fitting grooved/slotted discs when I come to replace my discs, but only because it's not any more expensive and I can get the coating on the discs to stop the rust  :happy2:

In race cars they tend to use slotted/grooved discs rather than drilled because they crack. True even for Carbon/ceramic brakes as in the picture below.

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/IMG_0039_DeSs_3.jpg

Offline vag12

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 04:47:35 pm »
Not disagreeing entirely - I have not read up on Ceramic discs much because, well there's no need to, we know what they do!

But as general rule, most cars (eg Mercs) that come with drilled discs are for looks over performance - They will crack more easily unfortunately. I'm sure the plain discs would fade sooner, again as you said, how much sooner is unknown - But I've never found fade with my R32 setup with OEM discs/pads even when stopping from 140 to 30.  :innocent:

But rather than buy silly discs, the money would be better invested in quality high performance pads and a suitable fluid. I will be fitting grooved/slotted discs when I come to replace my discs, but only because it's not any more expensive and I can get the coating on the discs to stop the rust  :happy2:

In race cars they tend to use slotted/grooved discs rather than drilled because they crack. True even for Carbon/ceramic brakes as in the picture below.

Can you send me a link to the discs you bought? Am probably going to try your ones was it from mtech?
My discs defo go through tons of abuse and I mean running 340 bhp and constantly braking from 150 to 70-110 and then flooring to redline and then braking again  :grin:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 05:08:57 pm »

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 05:23:04 pm »

But as general rule, most cars (eg Mercs) that come with drilled discs are for looks over performance - They will crack more easily unfortunately. I'm sure the plain discs would fade sooner, again as you said, how much sooner is unknown - But I've never found fade with my R32 setup with OEM discs/pads even when stopping from 140 to 30.  :innocent:

But rather than buy silly discs, the money would be better invested in quality high performance pads and a suitable fluid. I will be fitting grooved/slotted discs when I come to replace my discs, but only because it's not any more expensive and I can get the coating on the discs to stop the rust  :happy2:

Not always the case mate, got some rally cars using drilled discs, also for endurance races some teams can run drilled to get the cooiling but without the wear rate. Matt Close case in point. 500HP TTRS exclusively drilled now. Especially after the only grooved set ive ever sent him he trashed on the parade lap at the F1 grand prix at Melbourne this year.

I'm looking at just over a million quids worth of AP Racing Discs out of my window i would probably say 80% are grooved 20% "other", short hot races like BTCC (who we supply) yes grooved generally but it depends on race length and pad material.

Those carbon discs arent grooved, besides theyre carbon/carbon the pad is the same material as the disc. Theyre VERY different from ceramic

And unless the car is regularly tracking I always reccomend the OEM fluid, its very good and the OEM stuff is the same as installed on a R8 GT - exactly the same part number.

What "High Performance" pads do you reccomend?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:25:31 pm by DaveB1970 »

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:33 pm »
Dave: For moronic simpletons such as myself, can you suggest one pad and disc that would be the best upgrade for the standard gti brakes? Even if that means sticking with OEM - tell me please!

I need to buy a set and can't be bothered trawling through millions of arguments.
'07 Red manual