Make a donation

Author Topic: What brake discs for s3 brake setup  (Read 5714 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: What brake discs for s3 brake setup
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 10:56:32 pm »
Not always the case mate, got some rally cars using drilled discs, also for endurance races some teams can run drilled to get the cooiling but without the wear rate. Matt Close case in point. 500HP TTRS exclusively drilled now. Especially after the only grooved set ive ever sent him he trashed on the parade lap at the F1 grand prix at Melbourne this year.

It's obviously down to certain applications as to what people choose to use. But as a general rule of thumb they are either plain or grooved

I'm looking at just over a million quids worth of AP Racing Discs out of my window i would probably say 80% are grooved 20% "other", short hot races like BTCC (who we supply) yes grooved generally but it depends on race length and pad material.

Well wasn't that what I was saying? That drilled discs don't do anything particularly good and on a road car are just another thing to go wrong.

Even on APs own website (http://www.apracing.com/products/race_car/formula_student/sae/brake_discs.aspx) it says that weight is an advantage of drilled disks - and also validates my saying that most race cars run grooved, if anything - Not forgetting unsprung weight differences of 2-3kg can make a massive difference, as I'm sure you're aware the 345mm units are bloody heavy!)

And unless the car is regularly tracking I always reccomend the OEM fluid, its very good and the OEM stuff is the same as installed on a R8 GT - exactly the same part number.

ATE Superblue is very highly rated, I don't have this in my own car (will do at next change though) but have driven a car with it, and seemed pretty good to me. Why would you not use a (supposedly) better fluid? OEM Fluid boils at what, 220 degrees? You can buy fluids which hold a higher boiling point and often for not much more than OEM?

What "High Performance" pads do you reccomend?

Probably ones different to what you'd recommend.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:37 pm »
 :signLOL:

Offline tkboyle

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »
Running S3 brakes front and rear.

MTEC Black Coated, Dimpled and grooved, F&R

Mintex M1144 Front Pads, Pagid OEM Rear.

Dave supplied braided lines and VAG Fluid.

Noisy... Yes
Fade... Not Yet. Even with sustained high speed braking.

What would I do again if I had the choice... Probably go plain and look for a set of pads that don't squeak. Think chamfered edges on the pads would help.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 04:14:54 am »
Dave: For moronic simpletons such as myself, can you suggest one pad and disc that would be the best upgrade for the standard gti brakes? Even if that means sticking with OEM - tell me please!

I need to buy a set and can't be bothered trawling through millions of arguments.

:signLOL:  :congrats:  :signLOL:

+1 her for me as well please!!
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 10:26:45 am »
OE or good German made equivalents are perfectly fine. You don't need grooved, but they're nice. I don't like drilled, as they can/will crack.

Pads. Any of these with decent fluid will haul your car back properly and consistently without being too compromised day to day. Check to see if all mentioned are available. Cheaper ones may not have decent shims and will require a solution to avoid noise.

Pagid RS4-2/29
Carbon Lorraine RC6e
Mintex 1144/1155
Carbotech XP6/8

I'd buy RS4-2s.
I wouldnt touch EBC or DS2500s. Also be aware the likes of Euro are selling Chinese made parts under licence branded as Pagid, these are absolute sh*te, ensure what you buy is made in Europe.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:30:21 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 12:09:22 am »
Wanna rty those Lorraines