Make a donation

Author Topic: evo 8...talk to me  (Read 4650 times)

Offline cleanme

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: evo 8...talk to me
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
It's a 4wd rallye car mate that people either look after or don't so buy wise

good point, need to find one that's owned by a old chap really!

Just make sure it's not:

Offline cleanme

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
If I had to scratch my Evo itch it would have to be with one of these!  :love:

http://www.paulbrowncars.co.uk/car_Mitsubishi-EVO-6-TOMMI-MAKENIN_82__index.php

^^ was posting my pic whilst you linked to this :signLOL:

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:16 am »
Curb weight of a evo 8 fq320 is 1400kg.
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:41 pm »
Yeah but transmission loss is massive and a stage 2+ golf would eat one up unless you start throwing crazy corners into the mix. As posted above the the 6 mac is the dogs bollox in terms of keeping its value and the 8/9 the bumpers can be swapped over to face lift the 8 to the 9 set up

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 01:22:52 pm »
i should of gone into that abit more. transmission plays a big part on the evos and indeed the losses are more. My evo 6 ran 305bhp@ the wheels on a dyno dynamics roller which put it at 392bhp@ the flywheel.

Going from that to my stage 2 ed30 i can say i prefer the eddy, yes there completely different cars but the golf certainly holds it own. I have near enough the same power atw's but can do 30mpg on a run out and have all the toys inside (nav,mfsw,heated leather) alot nicer place to sit! and in general the car is alot more subtle on the road.

each to there own and if youve got a scratch to itch jack i dont think we'll swing your decision, just dont go in blind mate. Defo get yourself on MLR, pay up the membership and have a good read into the peoples/cars past before buying. I bought my 6 through MLR and defo paid off, i got a minter with and owner with nothing to hide!
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline M7AXB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »
so are diffs and gear boxes common then? I can see that people that launch them destroy them  :scared:

Very common mate. Look on the MLR forum. The 6speeds are very common to go wrong where the 5speed is a lot stronger unless running big power.  The reason for this is Mits squeezed the extra gear into the 5 speed casing and had to use smaller weaker parts to do this so be aware. Usually happens without warning. A trader on MLR refuses to touch the 6speeds when re-building which is saying something.

AYC pump is also very common to fail. Look for a car thats already had one rebuilt. The lad i bought mines off bought another and his AYC pump has failed at 42k. Mines has been ok so far, touch wood! To fix this can cost about £500-£1500

My mate who has the same model as me blew up his transfer box and it cost him a fortune to put right.

Clutches are common to go as well so look for a car with an uprated clutch like a Exedy twinplate.

I'm not trying to put you off as they are incredible cars and everytime i go a blast i have a big smile on my face. Different ball game to my old GTI.  From a rolling start a stage 2+ eddy can beat mines by about 1 car length (mines is standard), but, would leave it for dead in the corners or anything other than bone dry conditions.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 05:06:10 pm »
well there isn't a car thats without its common issues is there  :smiley:

for me and ill be straight up honest....i find the golf boring :ashamed: yes its fast but its so civilised which is good when you want to relax but I hardly drove my golf hard, it would spin spin spin, but if I get in my dads impreza which is only 200bhp I just want to drive it everywhere, the sound, the turbo noise and just feels alive and nimble,  dont get me wrong ill miss eddie and I know I will one day I will have one again but for  now I want something violent!!!!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 05:06:45 pm »
so are diffs and gear boxes common then? I can see that people that launch them destroy them  :scared:

Very common mate. Look on the MLR forum. The 6speeds are very common to go wrong where the 5speed is a lot stronger unless running big power.  The reason for this is Mits squeezed the extra gear into the 5 speed casing and had to use smaller weaker parts to do this so be aware. Usually happens without warning. A trader on MLR refuses to touch the 6speeds when re-building which is saying something.

AYC pump is also very common to fail. Look for a car thats already had one rebuilt. The lad i bought mines off bought another and his AYC pump has failed at 42k. Mines has been ok so far, touch wood! To fix this can cost about £500-£1500

My mate who has the same model as me blew up his transfer box and it cost him a fortune to put right.

Clutches are common to go as well so look for a car with an uprated clutch like a Exedy twinplate.

I'm not trying to put you off as they are incredible cars and everytime i go a blast i have a big smile on my face. Different ball game to my old GTI.  From a rolling start a stage 2+ eddy can beat mines by about 1 car length (mines is standard), but, would leave it for dead in the corners or anything other than bone dry conditions.
what evo do you have?  sorry if you've already said

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 05:12:22 pm »
but if I get in my dads impreza which is only 200bhp I just want to drive it everywhere, the sound, the turbo noise and just feels alive and nimble

I drove a bugeye Imprezza WRX STI around a handling circuit and found it utterly boring. Fast, but you just pointed it corners and squirted the throttle.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:20:21 pm by Deako »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 05:19:16 pm »
Owned an sti type uk was an itch I had and will never own one again pure dog sh1t and I have driven loads too

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline j dog

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 06:35:23 pm »
Hi Jack,

I've just come from a 2007 Evo 9 running 393bhp to my Edition 30 that I have now. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Go take one for a test drive and it's very likely you'll end up buying one.

Here's my old car...

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=429814

Julian

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:11 pm »
Drove a customers EvoX today and my god did that thing feel alive compared to my R!

The steering was much more communicative!  :sad1:

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:17 pm »
I've long had a soft spot for Evos and test driven a few 8s and 9s. They are fantastic cars but for me my Edition 30 is the best of both worlds. If I bought an Evo I'd have to buy, insure and run a second car for the majority of my travel. I'd always feel like there would be 'moments' where I was out in that car, but I wanted to be in the Evo. Off boost, the Edition 30 is a civilised, well styled, easy to drive daily use, and on boost it gives 90% of the performance I require.

Yes I'd like an Evo, they're extreme cars, but I couldn't warrant the additional costs for now.

Evo's often have many owners for their age compared to other cars which tells you something!

Not trying to be negative or piss on your bonfire, but the grass is always greener on the other side!

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 10:36:35 pm »
Mates got an evo. Absolutely crazy beast. I'll get one to satisfy the 'im young and stupid' mark, but my mate loves his. Looks so mean and you deffo know when ones coming. Just had him sitting quite close to my back on the motorway just made me  :drool:.....and move over!
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"