Make a donation

Author Topic: BMW 335d  (Read 13238 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: BMW 335d
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:43 pm »
the box is a simple auto which suits the style of the car, buy a car for what it is, its like people who buy hot hatches and say they are too stiff, complain about tyre noise and mpg!!!
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »
335d uses the 26hp ZF gearbox which is super string and reliable, tbh you don't want a quick gearbox on a desel anyway.

As a great all-rounder the 335d is hard to beat! (I've owned one and woud have another anyday) not at all boring if you can drive a RWD properly.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 11:20:56 pm »
The R - such a great all rounder and spend a couple of £k and its one hell of a car

bmw - they are ok but I would be bored in a few weeks of having just 'another' bmw

Offline NotNormal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 12:12:38 am »
I know this is a vag forum so please dont get annoyed..
Which car will you choose to buy & mod
My 1st choice is
2010-11 GolfR dsg 5dr & mod it to stg2+(full tbe,intake,hpfp,ic)
2nd choice is
2009-11 Bmw 335d auto & mod it (dpf delete,performance exhaust,ic,remap)
Decisions,decisions

I've had two, a 56 plate SE and an 07 plate MSport
Between the two I've done 150,000 ish and in 3.5 years

50,000 in the SE and 100,000 miles in the MSport
The SE left my possession with 65,000 on it and other than servicing and tyres cost me nothing

The MSport I've just traded in for my 09 plate a6 avant (highly spec'd) 3.0 TDi Quattro - as I've said, I've just traded it at about 120,000 miles
In that time all I've had to do is :

N/S/F shocker (pothole damage)
O/S/R shocker
Both rear bumps tops
Oil feed pipe for the small turbo
Boost pipe seals in main turbo pipe

In the time I've owned it I added eibach  springs and M3 alignment (without the camber) - I removed the EGR at 95,000 along with the swirl flaps. Both of these made positive improvements to the drive and performance of the car

Both BMWs have ran my DTUK CRD-T tuning box - the SE made 324bhp and 500lbs ft and the MSport made 345bhp and 510lbs ft (felt slightly stringer after the EGR and swirl flap delete)

Although the 35d engine is a safe engine with regard the swirl flaps I'm not a fan of the idea - thus I removed them.

I averaged around 32mpg combined and mid 40's on a run on average
Around town though it kills is, but hats to be expected from a larger engined car

The gear change in normal D is nice and smooth running the latest firmware, in perfect in S if you know how to drive a rwd reasonable powered car - the paddle shift certainly isn't a dsg type shift, far from it lol, but you have the option to maul ally shift if you wish.

Over all, the 335d is a very quick, capable point to point car - once you learn how to drive it you will make for a very hard car to pass - the likes of M3's E92 shape and RS4's will struggle to pass in a straight line !

Not driven the Gold R hard, so cannot compare fairly, but you'd have to tune it allot more that you would with the 35d and you don't get anything like the econ when driven in the same manor

You wouldn't want too mod a 335d they are real sleepers mate. They go throu turbosforfun thou, also rear tyres lol. Great cars thou dares say it. A friend of mine has one and he had it mapped, a week later he removed it, due to it been to wild.  :happy2:

Sorry but you're wrong, they don't go through turbos, both turbos on the 35d engine are robust. The only weak point are the pressure converters (similar to the n75 vale on vag) - the more award one to replace (sits closest to the bulkhead) can stick and fail causing powerless until higher rims when the bigger turbo come on song.

It's a simple replace to fix thing, fiddley and allot of engine plastics to remove but straight forward - the new replacement part is modified so you should only have to do it once at most

335d uses the 26hp ZF gearbox which is super string and reliable, tbh you don't want a quick gearbox on a desel anyway.

As a great all-rounder the 335d is hard to beat! (I've owned one and woud have another anyday) not at all boring if you can drive a RWD properly.

They use the 26hp box until 2009, then they put the 28hp in them - the 28's have a halved shift time, faster lockup and better econ

An I completely agree, once people learn how to drive them properly yes, they're rewarding and fun
Don't judge me by your ability !

Current daily crapper - Audi A6 Avant 3.0tdi SLine Quattro

Previous favourite rides :

BMW E92 335d M/Sport (351/520)
BMW  E92 335d SE (339/500)
Golf MK5 GT170 Diesel Sport (220/330)
Audi S4 (B6) - Noggy blue (366bhp)
Evo VI (6 ;) ) RSII - Scotia White (420bhp)
Astravan Sportive 1.9 CDTi - 190bhp
Astra GTE (MK2) Turbo (

Offline NotNormal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 12:14:28 am »
They go throu turbosforfun thou

It's the 320d's that eat turbos really btw
Don't judge me by your ability !

Current daily crapper - Audi A6 Avant 3.0tdi SLine Quattro

Previous favourite rides :

BMW E92 335d M/Sport (351/520)
BMW  E92 335d SE (339/500)
Golf MK5 GT170 Diesel Sport (220/330)
Audi S4 (B6) - Noggy blue (366bhp)
Evo VI (6 ;) ) RSII - Scotia White (420bhp)
Astravan Sportive 1.9 CDTi - 190bhp
Astra GTE (MK2) Turbo (

Offline Real Thing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »
If your a true petrolhead unless you need the MPG I think you'll get bored of the 335d after a couple of Days the BMW is a very nice Fast Tractor at the end of the Day and might embarrass quite a lot of Medium Performance Cars but getting all the Power down on the UK Roads in the wet even with out a remap is impossible and even dry Traction Control Light is still flickering in 2nd I've had a 335i & 335d as well as a Golf R and if I had to choice my favourite would be the R followed closely by the 335i although still near the top of my Cars owned list for most fun is Hurdy's old Edition 30 which as you've got a similar Car already you may regret changing for anything else (Unless your still interested in a Blue RS3   :signLOL:)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:51:14 pm by Real Thing »
Golf MK6 R TTE420 & Gen1 RS3

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:33 pm »
Search Piston Heads...the car has been talked about a lot on there.

Generally most people seem to get bored with the cars sound and power delivery though there is no doubting it's performance.

The Audi 3.0 TDI V6 has more potential to sound better imo, the Inline 6 sounds very 'Truck like'.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:30:51 pm by GTI5 »
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 05:33:25 pm »

Generally most people seem to get bored with the cars sound and power delivery though there is no doubting it's performance.

The Audi 3.0 TDI V6 has more potential to sound better imo, the Inline 6 sounds very 'Truck like'.

They sound very good once rolling, better than any 4 cylinder petrol I have owned anyway, as for power delivery, that's its best feature! No lag and pulls strong throughout rev range! But if pistonheads says so :signLOL:

Offline detailer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • I like things shiney
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 05:35:17 pm »
I agree great power delivery and sound nice IMO. Each too there own thou  :signLOL:

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 05:41:24 pm »

They sound very good once rolling, better than any 4 cylinder petrol I have owned anyway, as for power delivery, that's its best feature! No lag and pulls strong throughout rev range! But if pistonheads says so :signLOL:

It has a meaty sound to it just seems to drone a bit and yes 4 pots sound a little harsh when being pushed on.

As stated earlier the GTI and the 335D are very different animals.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »
Not sure we are talking about same car here mate, drone??? But as said etto  :happy2:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 06:51:47 am »
Ive owned two 335D's - BORING!  Relentless but uninvolving, with a sh*te gearbox.  :happy2:  Easy to go very quick in, that is all
thats kinda what it is though, easy to get from a to b fast and in comfort. what were you expecting from a 1600 kilo diesel? mx5 fun?

No and I don't mention MX5s or similar, but he is trying to compare a hot hatch with it and they are two entirely different vehicles.  Lots of people in E90Post have purchased them as a drivers car and this they are not, in my humble opinion. The gearboxes are very sluggish, and paddles take forever when compared to a DSG setup. Mine were 2007 and 2010, the first being a tourer and mapped to 350BHP, running lowered suspension, 19" Alpina Wheels and non runflats, which I changed on both.

I would say try and get a long 24 hr* test drive in one to get a good feel for it.
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 06:53:50 am »
Ive owned two 335D's - BORING!  Relentless but uninvolving, with a sh*te gearbox.  :happy2:  Easy to go very quick in, that is all

So just like an RS3 then?  :laugh:

/ducks for cover

We're supposed to stick together as fellow A3 owners  :P

But of course jealousy will get you everywhere :booty:
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:45 am »

So just like an RS3 then?  :laugh:

/ducks for cover

We're supposed to stick together as fellow A3 owners  :P

But of course jealousy will get you everywhere :booty:

Its impossible to be jealous of an RS3 when they only did it with 5 doors.

:grin:

Only pulling your plonker Oli.  :happy2:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 11:19:48 am »
How many of you going "you'll get bored of diesels" have actually owned one?
I've spent £15k+ on mine (5k of which is on engine and gearbox tuning, totalling including the purchase price is £20k+) and I'm not bored with it? And that's with only 221bhp.

There's always the petrol snob fratternity and it's pointless having a discussion with them. I can see the benefits of both types. My next car will be a petrol but only because I fancy an S3 or ED30. Not because I don't like diesels mind  :grin:

Let's face it a 4wd Golf is hardly the most involving car in the world either, if anything the RWD would be more fun. The only downside is lack of a dual-clutch gearbox.