Make a donation

Author Topic: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09  (Read 89465 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »
I had the carbonio and std airbox previously and the difference was pretty much negligable bhp wise, but a little bit more responsive maybe, then i swapped to the code red intake which utilised the carbonio ram scoop that i already had and the diference was vast. so this new one could be good.

Did someone mention in a previous thread that at speed, the air passes up over the grill by passing the scoop in the slam panel, hence a filter sitting behind the headlight( although mine seems ok, and ive been off the clock on numerous occasions on the autobahns)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2009, 10:17:28 pm »

Did someone mention in a previous thread that at speed, the air passes up over the grill by passing the scoop in the slam panel, hence a filter sitting behind the headlight( although mine seems ok, and ive been off the clock on numerous occasions on the autobahns)

....Yes, I've heard that to be so but never seen any 'scientific' evidence.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »
that carbon fibre intake piping looks a bit flimsy IMO, although im pretty sure they wouldnt sell it if it was. Id feel a littlie more secure with the ally piping on the ITG, Forge, HKS etc

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:44 pm »

Hi Keith@APR,

What isn't clear to me from your Reply #207, is whether you now offer an intake for the 2.0T FSI (not the later TSI as in your posted pics and links).

I've been running 'your' first Carbonio ram feeding the oem airbox with ITG flat panel filter on a Stage2 Revo without any problems, but I'm interested in upgrading.

:smiley:

Hi Robin, I believe the answer is that APR have a stage 2 for the TSI and are still developing the stage 2 for the FSI.  So it is work in progress.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2009, 11:03:54 pm »
^^^^
Cheers, KRL :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »
that carbon fibre intake piping looks a bit flimsy IMO, although im pretty sure they wouldnt sell it if it was. Id feel a littlie more secure with the ally piping on the ITG, Forge, HKS etc

Its aerospace grade.  Light and strong, rigid like um (use your own imagination) :happy2:

Offline warren_cox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2009, 06:37:30 pm »
It seems amazing that the MAF can cause so many problems with respect to getting air into the system.

Is there such a thing as a VAG tech data manual which stipulates the operating parameters / reasons for MAF's being the size / shape they are etc???

It seems strange that the TFSi MAF's are causing so much issues, I know they have always had questionable reliability but it's amazing that the OEM intakes seem to work perfectly well when the design is nothing to write home about.

I feel in some respects I've been chasing my tail with this car, as first it was fuelling related issues, then it was arbitrary misfires, now it could be airflow related issues. Once I get back to Blighty I will head up to Storm Developments and get some logs run to see what's what as the car has had time to settle.
Audi S3 (8P)

Mods: Revo Stg 2+, KMD HPFP, ITG CAI, NGK Iridiums, Rev D DV, 19" RS4 wheels, PIAA bulbs

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:50 pm »
It seems amazing that the MAF can cause so many problems with respect to getting air into the system.

The maf is quite possibly the most important sensor on the engine.  It measures how much air and oxygen is coming in to the combustion chamber and the ecu then bases the following operations from that info:

How much fuel to inject
when to inject the fuel
what timing angle to apply
when to fire the spark plug

So, if the maf reading is wrong, all of those really important things will be wrong too.  The good news is that its a redundant system.  The primary o2 sensor verifies that the calculation was correct based on the results of exhaust gas analysis and the ecu makes adjustments if things don't add up.  That's why you see people talking about long term fuel trims.  That's the ecu's way of saying, "everytime I calculate how much fuel to use I am running lean or richer than I am supposed to.  I don't know why I need more or less fuel and my calculations will still be wrong but I'll add or take some fuel out anyways."

So, when the ecu is working this way, its not working from optimal running maps, its working from band aids to try and fix a problem it doesn't understand.

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2009, 06:21:16 pm »
Are jkm stocking these yet? Are they open saturdays? Random sorry lol

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2009, 06:25:33 pm »
Hmm

If the MAF sensor is measuring how much air is going into the combustion chamber (this sensor is pre turbo don't forget...still got pipework/intercooler to go through) then what is the job of the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor on the IC/TB pipe??

Surely that sensor is more accurate in measuring how much air is heading into the intake manifold and chamber??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2009, 06:28:15 pm »

Are jkm stocking these yet? Are they open saturdays? Random sorry lol

....JKM are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

I don't think they've got stock yet but can order. Best you phone them on Monday and ask - 023 9263 9933

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2009, 06:33:32 pm »
Cheers robin, ile get on the phone monday me thinks! Now you lot can carry on talkin the techy stuff! Lol

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2009, 07:47:27 pm »

Cheers robin, ile get on the phone monday me thinks!

....If you order a Forge Twintake, don't forget that JKM are giving a forum discount.

:happy2:

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2009, 08:52:55 am »
According to Forge they still wont be available for several more weeks :-(

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2009, 10:37:27 am »

A comment from across the pond : -

"As far as forge quality goes.... when I got the forge box for my blow off valve spacer for my twincharger and opened the lid, I was amazed at the perfection and precision of the object.

It fitted like they had measured my cars turbo area with a laser. Such a well made product. I am sure the intake will have similar quality.

At least for the price its going to look "bespoke".