Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!  (Read 2534 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »
Yes...... I do recall similar threads and appreciate everyone will have their own personal preference, but……..

I have always been a Blackberry fan (I have a separate Blackberry work mobile), as I have always preferred the keys on my 9900.

However, I am thinking about changing to full touchscreen, and would appreciate any thoughts or experiences on the following:

Samsung S4 – not sure I like to look and feel
HTC One – love the hardware design, but know nothing about these
Blackberry Z10 – better than Andriod?

Also going to look at the Q10, but looks dated already!

Thanks all.

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:27:41 pm »
Wife has the z10 since launch and she has had iPhones for years and she loves it but you can't get things like viber MSG or candy crush yet as its not like an android or other blackberrys and the battery is not much cop being honest,it's due some software updates soon so will what that changes

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Re: Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »
Just got my nephew a Sony Ericsson xperia U. Really good for budget android phone

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »
I have used all of those phones.

The z10 - if you don't mind not having the latest and greatest apps it's a good phone, but not the best IMO for touchscreen keyboard.

Htc one, great look and great to use, keyboards good.

S4, save your self loads of cash and get the s3 instead, I use the s3 day to day and its a good phone, I came from a 9800 blackberry and hated non physical keyboards but the s3/s4 has been the best replacement yet.

Or get a iPhone 4S or 5. Because they do just work, keyboard isn't as good IMO.

Offline swedishfireball

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:14:43 pm »
I currently have a Samsung galaxy S3.. Not a bad bit of kit but me being me decided to take the plunge on something shiny and new :innocent:

Sony Experia Z  - Very nice, bit weird shape but ok, waterproof and fast enough. Coming from the AMOLED screen on the Samsung to the LCD was a shock though, blacks are grey. Decent phone nonetheless but returned it after a day.
Galaxy S4 - Bit of a revision of the S3 really nothing groundbreaking and feels/looks the same. Cancelled pre-order.
HTC one - on pre-order and really am looking forward to it looking at the reviews. Not bothered about the lack of SD slot although the non-removable battery is probably the biggest negative.

Hope my personal findings/ramblings give a small insight into what's about :happy2:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:42:21 pm »
I've just bought a Nexus 4 direct from Google Play. No nonsense, no bloatware, no gimmicks, it just works. It's fast, reliable, looks great and battery life is pretty good, too.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:32:20 pm »
Thanks guys, some really helpful info.

I am leaning towards the HTC One. Just don't want to write off the two Blackberry phones, and the S4...

A quick demo in store just isn't long enough to be certain! So has the Android software improved since launch, as I seem to recall lots of bad reviews when first released?

Cheers!

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:01:55 pm »

I am leaning towards the HTC One. Just don't want to write off the two Blackberry phones, and the S4...

A quick demo in store just isn't long enough to be certain! So has the Android software improved since launch, as I seem to recall lots of bad reviews when first released?

Cheers!

From personel experience and looking at the way things are going i think that android is the future of phones, android phones are already better than iphones. There is much more choice with apps etc on android due to the less stringent rules.

I have an S3 at the moment and i came from an iphone 4, i would never get another iphone again.

The general feeling is that the best two phones on the market are the HTC and S4, although the S4 isn't strictly on the market yet, however the S4 isn't ment to be the easiest to get the best from if your a bit of a techno phobe. I imagine you could still use 50% of what it is capable of and be more than happy with it. If i were to get another phone tomorrow it would be the S4 for me, not really much in it between the HTC and S4 but more personel preference. Either phone would be a good choice  :happy2:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Re: Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »
^^ what he said.

Ive had all iphones from the original to the 4 and now got an s3 and wont go back to apple now.

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:57:16 pm »

Cheers!

From personel experience and looking at the way things are going i think that android is the future of phones, android phones are already better than iphones. There is much more choice with apps etc on android due to the less stringent rules.

I have an S3 at the moment and i came from an iphone 4, i would never get another iphone again.

The general feeling is that the best two phones on the market are the HTC and S4, although the S4 isn't strictly on the market yet, however the S4 isn't ment to be the easiest to get the best from if your a bit of a techno phobe. I imagine you could still use 50% of what it is capable of and be more than happy with it. If i were to get another phone tomorrow it would be the S4 for me, not really much in it between the HTC and S4 but more personel preference. Either phone would be a good choice  :happy2:

I will be getting a new handset next week and based on the research I've done the above bit in bold sums up the current situation very nicely. I'm currently leaning towards the S4 as love the AMOLED screen and like my tech so will be making use of the extra features of the S4. Although in terms of looks the HTC One is the best looking phone currently out there :happy2:

P.S. Currently a S2 owner
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »
I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.. :love:

And it's flipping awesome.. Battery last for nearly 2 days and a beautiful 5.5 inch super HD screen.

Best phone I've ever used.

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 09:58:43 pm »

Cheers!

The general feeling is that the best two phones on the market are the HTC and S4, although the S4 isn't strictly on the market yet, however the S4 isn't ment to be the easiest to get the best from if your a bit of a techno phobe. I imagine you could still use 50% of what it is capable of and be more than happy with it. If i were to get another phone tomorrow it would be the S4 for me, not really much in it between the HTC and S4 but more personel preference. Either phone would be a good choice  :happy2:

I will be getting a new handset next week and based on the research I've done the above bit in bold sums up the current situation very nicely. I'm currently leaning towards the S4 as love the AMOLED screen and like my tech so will be making use of the extra features of the S4. Although in terms of looks the HTC One is the best looking phone currently out there :happy2:

P.S. Currently a S2 owner

Very nice choice  :happy2:

I'd love to go and trade in my S3 for an S4 but i have too many months left on my contract  :sad1:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:18:28 pm by Jamie3184 »

Offline bright blue

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:47 pm »
iPHONE all the way :grin:

Offline ali6n2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »
HTC one is awesome. I just picked one up myself. That's after playing around with the s4. Don't regret it one bit.

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 10:44:38 pm »
HTC One without a doubt.