Make a donation

Author Topic: Which air intake?  (Read 18613 times)

Offline mk4gti-t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Which air intake?
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »
Im looking at fitting an air intake/induction kit to my 2005 Gti. It's a standard car at the moment and the most im going to modify it performance wise is cat back exhaust, intake and remap. The induction kit wont be making much in the way of bhp, i just love the chatter when you lift off  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Which air intake?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:34 pm »
CAI's from £200-£450 so depends on your budget really.

ITG, APR/VWR, FORGE Twintake and REVO are the more expensive ones and EVOMS, Nuespeed, AMD, Volant are less so. Have a look at the ITG and EVOMS, covers both ends (cost wise) and probably not a load of difference in their performance, both are good. ITG for whoosh dish and EVOMS for a bit of cha cha cha.

EDIT: Evoms CAI on eBay ATM, may go cheap. Don't know if its for your car or a K04 though, you'd have to ask as you can't tell from the picture.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:41:43 pm by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline mk4gti-t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:47 pm »
Thanks, that help alot. My budget is going to be about £150 and saw this on ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIPERCROSS-INDUCTION-KIT-VW-Golf-Mk5-2-0-FSi-Turbo-GTi-/290647489844?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43abf0bd34

Any good or just cheap rubbish?

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:34 pm »
That just attaches to your OEM engine cover IIRC so not really worth it IMHO. Save up a wee bit more and get a EVOMS or a second hand ITG of Forge Twintake, they're always popping up in the for sale section.

Offline mk4gti-t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:32:46 pm »
Ok will do cheers for the info.  :happy2:

Offline Jabarton99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:45 pm »
I have a ITG on at the moment but that's a £350 option. Before that I had a carbonio carbon intake which with the mods your planning will give you everything you need and they sound good. You can here them sucking the air in. Plus they look good when you pop your bonnet. If you watch on eBay you can pick a second hand one up for about £100-£120 there are some carbon speed ones on eBay at £185 new but not used one of these.

Unless you want big power don't bother with expensive intakes.

J
R32 Recaro bucket seats (individual colour), Golf R MFSW with cream stitching, Cream stitched gear gaitor to match, RNS510, highline cluster, Ko4 turbo, Forge twintercooler, Forge oil catch can & washer bottle, Autotech fuel pump, Neuspeed power pully, S3 injectors, ITG maxogen intake, Red top coil packs, Milltek Full 3" exhaust straight through. AP Coilovers, H & R Anti roll bars, Tarox 10pot calipers front & S3 rear calipers rear.

Offline Itsagthing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:22:27 am »
Fitted a twintake to mine (ed30)after much research,don't think I really like it since fitting it is very whooshey which is great but what I don't like is half throttle on boost it sounds like its struggling and can here the divertor fluttering terribly.might sell it

Offline Jabarton99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:36:07 am »
The ITG is honestly absolutely brilliant, it sounds good and just breathes really well know matter what rev range your at. I can highly recommend it. If you decide to sell your forge I'd go ITG but again that's just me.
R32 Recaro bucket seats (individual colour), Golf R MFSW with cream stitching, Cream stitched gear gaitor to match, RNS510, highline cluster, Ko4 turbo, Forge twintercooler, Forge oil catch can & washer bottle, Autotech fuel pump, Neuspeed power pully, S3 injectors, ITG maxogen intake, Red top coil packs, Milltek Full 3" exhaust straight through. AP Coilovers, H & R Anti roll bars, Tarox 10pot calipers front & S3 rear calipers rear.

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 20
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:51 am »

0% Interest Free Finance Available On All Parts NOW
www.gnjmotorsport.com
info@gnjmotorsport.com  -  01254 883345
Facebook  -  Instagram

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7miubgib29t4rct5ektshegrev&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:52:45 am »
Its only a great seller due to price....  :wink: If the evoms were 190 quid, then everyone would have one.

Offline Itsagthing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 11:17:42 am »
Its only a great seller due to price....  :wink: If the evoms were 190 quid, then everyone would have one.
Amen to that, yeah I would like to try a itg or go out with someone who has one. I would love to do a swap with someone too for the itg although I live the twintake looks.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 11:23:55 am »
^^^^ got rid of my ITG ages ago due to the noise. Some peeps love em' and some, less so. Its not called Darth Vadar for no reason and living with (what sounds like) an asthmatic in the cabin soon losses its appeal. Out of the 3 I've had, EVOMS is the best IMO although I got rid of that one too, REVO or APR/VWR next for me.

Offline Itsagthing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 11:33:56 am »
Hmmmm yeah I know what you mean the twintake is worse than darth on boost, maybe ill try revo or apr. who knows I thought I would limit and yeah I did initially but for a daily is not so great especially when you get the looks of a chav from the locals as its worse when stage 1 and dsg as when you come of boost trying to be a creeping Jesus goes out the window. Maybe ill just flick the stock air box on and just do everything else to get to stage 2 plus.

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 11:51:12 am »
I'm looking into an intake, is their a quiet one? not keen on something loud.

Si

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »
Hmmmm yeah I know what you mean the twintake is worse than darth on boost, maybe ill try revo or apr. who knows I thought I would limit and yeah I did initially but for a daily is not so great especially when you get the looks of a chav from the locals as its worse when stage 1 and dsg as when you come of boost trying to be a creeping Jesus goes out the window. Maybe ill just flick the stock air box on and just do everything else to get to stage 2 plus.

IIRC there's a fair few peeps running stage 2 (and LOADS running Stage 1) with the OEM engine cover in place and either an OEM panel filter or an aftermarket one, such as the ITG one or Pipercross one with no problems at all.