Make a donation

Author Topic: Is putting your car on a dyno good for it or potentially harmful?  (Read 2717 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
I have had my car dyno'ed 4 times now - twice at Awesome, twice at PDT(Sedox)

Each time I always have that excitement of potentially knowing how the mods i have done might affect torque/hp but that is always offset by the dislike of seeing the nuts revved off your beloved motor and it not actually going anywhere. In fact I have not yet had a run which did not highlight problems.

Is there any evidence to show dyno runs can actually damage your car?

My distrust of them is in part is fuelled by fact that after my last one my car was fooked and i had to have new gearbox, slave, master and DMF!  :rolleye:

Now, there was no evidence that the dyno was in anyway responsible for this; how could it be? Merely, that the dyno run highlighted the problem and exacerbated it accelerating its demise.

On the other hand should you view a dyno run as a health check, as it highlights any problems before they get out of hand eg boost leaks, issues with EGTs, timing etc?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Is putting your car on a dyno good for it or potentially harmful?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:57:04 pm »
Why would it cause any more stress on your car than driving it on the road in the same manner?

The fact you've not had a run that did not highlight problems just meant your car had problems.. ?

Your car doesn't know that it's not moving, as far as it's concerned it's on the open road. It's not going to go.. "right, we are on a dyno, let's break!"

:popcornsoda:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »
Why would it cause any more stress on your car than driving it on the road in the same manner?

The fact you've not had a run that did not highlight problems just meant your car had problems.. ?

Your car doesn't know that it's not moving, as far as it's concerned it's on the open road. It's not going to go.. "right, we are on a dyno, let's break!"

:popcornsoda:

True, but is more stress not caused by the fact that you dont take your car up to the rev limiter on the road repeatedly? (well i dont anyway and never give it any beans until the Polar Fis says oil is up to about 80 degrees).

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:22 pm »
Your car won't instantly break if you redline it a few times, after all, it's a maximum SAFE rpm for the engine. As I said it's no different to driving on the road, infact I'd argue there is slightly LESS stress due to air resistance and the fact the rolling road won't completely and exactly replicate the drag the car would get on the road.

Neither would they drive it aggressively on the dyno with cold oil!

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:03:54 pm »
Your car won't instantly break if you redline it a few times, after all, it's a maximum SAFE rpm for the engine. As I said it's no different to driving on the road, infact I'd argue there is slightly LESS stress due to air resistance and the fact the rolling road won't completely and exactly replicate the drag the car would get on the road.

Neither would they drive it aggressively on the dyno with cold oil!

Yes I know it would not be driven from cold, especially when 9/10 car is warm from your journey getting there. So in a nutshell, in your opinion there is no downside at all to a dyno run. I have my final few mods going on so would potentially like to have another one, as I say I just dont have a good track record with them at all..

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 05:08:43 pm »
I would say personally no.
My old TDI probably had 35 dyno runs in its life across various states of tune, never had any problems.

I'd say the most dangerous thing about dynoing the car is making sure it's secured properly, we have all seen the Youtube videos  :surprised:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 06:29:43 pm »
With the right level of cooling and a good dyno it actually puts less stress than a full throttle run on the road, you are not dragging any weight anywhere, not having to push through the air, the car is being monitored etc...

I have used some dynos with inadequate cooling where exhaust hangers have got so hot they have melted the rubbers and oil temps, intake temps and gearbox temps have got so high they could cause damage.

While developing the BMW 335d software we did 118 runs over a 2 day period as well as lots of steady state mapping (where you hold a given rpm against a high load) and 3 years on and 30k miles later its still perfect.

In 8 years of having our Dyno Dynamics we have only had 3 memorable component failures; propshaft on a cossie, turbo on a pd130 bora and a boost hose on some jap high powered thing that made a LOUD bang, 2 where due to incorrect fitment, one was due to a KKK turbo.

Cooling and monitoring are the most important factors.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:02:26 pm »
Cheers Dave, I was hoping from some input from a tuner. I will be back for next one on your dyno seeing as last two runs made 319 and then 361 horsies after you sorted pesky boost leak. It such a shame that my joy at how well the car was pulling was so shortlived that never made it home before clutch pedal was slow to return which turned out to be far more serious than could have thought at the time.

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:44:01 pm »
If you are asking the question then you should not even dream about dyno'ing it.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:36:15 pm »
I read something in a Jap car magazine where a tuner had done over 1000 dyno runs with a Civic Type-R developing hardware etc. As PDT says though, it's ness harmful than doing a full throttle run on the road where the engine has to shift the weight of the car, you & your passengers and also wind resistance  :surprised:

If you consider all that, it's actually a LOT less stressful to the car than a hard drive on the road. Providing the cooling is adequate  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 08:21:50 am »
Ive only had my car dyno'd once (at a Forum meet at PDT) - as its a standard car it maybe under a bit less strain than a Golf putting out 300 plus BHP , but my car has been perfect since it ran on the rollers there.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline aslz78

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 01:29:14 pm »
It is if your this guy

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=er7thchcbaats4bcsmomrdu19f&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »
With the right level of cooling and a good dyno it actually puts less stress than a full throttle run on the road, you are not dragging any weight anywhere, not having to push through the air, the car is being monitored etc...

I have used some dynos with inadequate cooling where exhaust hangers have got so hot they have melted the rubbers and oil temps, intake temps and gearbox temps have got so high they could cause damage.

While developing the BMW 335d software we did 118 runs over a 2 day period as well as lots of steady state mapping (where you hold a given rpm against a high load) and 3 years on and 30k miles later its still perfect.

In 8 years of having our Dyno Dynamics we have only had 3 memorable component failures; propshaft on a cossie, turbo on a pd130 bora and a boost hose on some jap high powered thing that made a LOUD bang, 2 where due to incorrect fitment, one was due to a KKK turbo.

Cooling and monitoring are the most important factors.

Doesnt the dyno put a load on the engine though?

TBH... there are thousands of cars dyno's across the world every day.... i dont see a problem, unless there is a physical issue with the car in the first place.

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 04:59:53 pm »
&rel=0&autohide=1&showinfo=0
Sig to big.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 09:08:01 pm »
Only if u put it on this dyno  :signLOL:

&rel=0&autohide=1&showinfo=0
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection