Make a donation

Author Topic: Car aerial  (Read 543 times)

Offline Remon_uk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Car aerial
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:20:47 am »
Hi all,

I wanted to ask you all a question. I have had the touchscreen sat nav Kenwood system installed in my car. Most stations are great but stations like Choice fm reception is poor and sometimes the kiss station keeps changing stations "searching for it" not all the time but sometimes. Is this due to the factory fitted aerial? I was looking to change my aerial from the factory fitted one, will this sort the issue out? And where can I buy a good easy fit aerial??

Thanks people :driver:

Offline jonnboyy69

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Car aerial
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 01:00:28 pm »
Hi Remon, What year is the car? Some have twin fm aerials built into the car depending on year and the origional audio spec; (beesting roof and second in rear window). They are controlled by either the vw radio unit itself or a box under the passenger seat, this is called "diversity" in vw lingo.
Apart from the obvious checks like ensuring the fm cable is snug and tight to the back of the Kenwood and no snags or cuts to the cable itself.There are a few kits out there designed for aftermarket radios into vw's, just ensure it has the Fakra square black connector such as this example;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-Aftermarket-Radio-Installation-Antenna-Adapter-/330567935508?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf7626614

This is assuming you havent got one of these or something similair fitted already of course!! :happy2:

Other things like the cars canbus info changes and the actual Kenwood fm audio settings are another thing to check if above is sorted....

good luck

3dr black 56 GTi, Rcd510 DAB + Blaupunkt sharkfin finally completed.....

Offline Remon_uk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Car aerial
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »
It's a 2006 gti mk5. It's the original VW Kenwood system. They fitted it for me. So changing the aerial will make no difference?

Thanks