Make a donation

Author Topic: Jay's actual GTI... now with added accuair.  (Read 105416 times)

Offline 121207

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Jay's actual GTI... now with added accuair.
« Reply #345 on: August 06, 2014, 02:52:58 pm »
Really do deserve plaudits for what you've done with your ride dude! :drool: :drool:

I wouldn't have done everything you have, but that's what makes it better.. Especially the Merc wheels in purple, it's different but works! :grin:

Oh and props for having a partner interested in the same hooby as you, A4 is loooking good :happy2:  :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:00:39 pm by 121207 »

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:55 am »
Not bad for a night's work mate. :happy2:

Nah, was alright... was buggered the next day though. Up at 8am , full days work, lads night till about 1am, drove up to unit...worked through till about 7am..then started detailing the RR Evoque..when nick came up at about 9am I dropped wheels off and slept from about 11 till 3...felt like craap!!!

Cheers mate

Car looks absolutely epic

Appreciate the kind words mate.

Looks a lot better on new wheels

Yeah, I agree. The RC's were nice though, think the design did work on the car. Cheers for the comment.

new wheels look amazing

Thank you  :happy2:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. lovely rimmage there Jay.  :drool:

:grin: You always did like my purple!

Jay loves a bit of rimming :booty:

:booty: :popcornsoda: Of course?!

:)

:innocent:

Just need some big brakes like you LOL.

Really do deserve plaudits for what you've done with your ride dude! :drool: :drool:

I wouldn't have done everything you have, but that's what makes it better.. Especially the Merc wheels in purple, it's different but works! :grin:

Oh and props for having a partner interested in the same hooby as you, A4 is loooking good :happy2:  :P

Cheers mate.

Yeah it's good! Only downside is that whenever we try to do something not car related it always ends up getting stuck working on something... still need to paint her calipers.. grr.

Got a few other updates... changed my boost gauge from the column mount pod which was really squeaky and annoying (it was fine on my TDI???) and replaced with a Newsouth Vent Gauge pod..

Also as I was staying in Kent for a few days on work I met up with a photograph mate of mine and he grabbed some rollers for me.

Got a puncture within about 5 days of putting the Merc wheels back on... was right on the shoulder so unrepairable.. Unfortunately both my tyres had camber wear so had to buy a pair... they didn't have my tyres in stock...and needed the car that day so bought some Pirelli PZeros in 205/40.. so fronts are running 215/35 and rears 205/40 hence the slightly odd front/wheel arch fitment... Once I have 205/40 on the front which I will do end of the month, along with some 8-10mm rear spacers (still need to calculate) then it will be sitting really well.

Something else that happened yesterday with Jairm's help... did (I guess it's what it's called) a euro rear light conversion...so what was the fog light, changed the red lense to clear..which is still a red fog light when on... but is also a second reverse light. So now the rear of the car is symmetrical from the rear on the lights rather than having one clear and one red light insert... As we were all working up the unit till quite late didn't get any finished pictures, but I will put them up when I can get a chance.

We are also going to be doing some other rear light tweaks soon... but need more time.

Also going to eventually get my Hertz front mid speakers fitted and get some rear components and a 4 channel amp to drive them...

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:57:59 am by xjay1337 »

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:49 am »
Nice updates. Having just done a rear speaker and amplifier install, I can say because you have a 5 door life will be so much easier. Although I don't think it's very easy to run the front doors off an amp, as where the wiring loom for the door meets the grommet, it passes through a plug section rather than straight wires, so there's no room (that I can see) to pass aditional speaker wires through, unless you use some of the free connections on the plugs but it's a pain in the arse to get to. Not sure if the rear doors are the same, probably worth checking before you start. That's my 10p anyway...

Still love the rims. :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2014, 11:13:38 am »
Your car looks great Jay, makes me want to buy a silver gti, I'm surprised you've not decided to fit a highline speedo, I think that should be your next mod!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2014, 02:09:17 pm »
Thanks! Actually I was toying with it but not of a huge importance to me at the moment. I want a highline but I want to change the dash cluster LED's around.. carry on the purple theme... but need more work..

Nice updates. Having just done a rear speaker and amplifier install, I can say because you have a 5 door life will be so much easier. Although I don't think it's very easy to run the front doors off an amp, as where the wiring loom for the door meets the grommet, it passes through a plug section rather than straight wires, so there's no room (that I can see) to pass aditional speaker wires through, unless you use some of the free connections on the plugs but it's a pain in the arse to get to. Not sure if the rear doors are the same, probably worth checking before you start. That's my 10p anyway...

Still love the rims. :happy2:

Yeah, it's not easy but going to be worth it.  :scared:
We will find a good solution for running the wires.. my bro Jairm is a god.
The sound difference between my front and my rear speakers is crazy. Even without the additional punch of an amp... want my rear ones.. probably sort it all next month actually :)

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #350 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10:07 pm »
Pics of the rear light mods...

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2014, 04:44:35 pm »
some nice updates Jay--i changed my reverse light lense to red to make themlook the same

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #352 on: August 20, 2014, 12:56:39 am »
some nice updates Jay--i changed my reverse light lense to red to make themlook the same
Cheers man.

Yeah, I suspect that would look equally as good  :happy2: Just seems a bit strange to have them odd either way!

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2014, 10:02:24 am »
Boost gauge looks so much better, no more squeaky wheel?!

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #354 on: September 02, 2014, 04:07:21 pm »

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #355 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »
Onto bigger and better things? Mk6 R?

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #356 on: September 02, 2014, 04:39:44 pm »
Yes, what have you bought Jay?
Golf R gone.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #357 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:00 am »
Yes, what have you bought Jay?

Scirocco CR170.

I'll start a build thread once I have done some more bits to it but it's Nick's (he owns Detail My Car who I help out with the detailing) bosses old car which I got for a very, very very good price. The car is very high spec... Xenons, Full heated Leather, RCD510 with MDI kit, nearly new Goodyear Eagle F1's all round..was under warranty with VW until May 2014 and has full service history.. mileage is high.. over 100k now.. but still got it for a bargain.

Plans are to make it around 240-250bhp and put the best in handling components on it and just enjoy it as a nice car to drive and do the occasional trackday etc. Will be featuring larger brakes and that sort of thing.  :happy2:

Onto bigger and better things? Mk6 R?

Unfortunately not.

My plan with the GTI was to make it into as much of a "show" car as you can and still retain the driving fun.
It drives brilliantly despite the air nay-sayers, however - It does SO many miles that, while I can afford it, I can't justify it anymore.
I've averaged about 800 miles per month through work alone (just going to customer sites etc) the last 3 months.. I'm seemingly always driving about. My work provide me with £150 a month car allowance (to cover "wear and tear") - by far the lowest in the company - and I get fuel at about 20p per mile. The fuel costs are about equal but the £150 per month gets eaten up by things like tyres, other little mods and bits and pieces.

Combined with the trips to London once a week for the meets and events, it's just slogging up and down the motorways, not to mention travelling to see my Girlfriend (it's a 50 mile return trip which isn't much but as I always end up going to hers as she doesn't like my houseshare situation) means that my mileage has exponentially gone up and how can I ever hope to have a car nice enough to be considered a show car when it gets used against what I intended it to be used for??? It's completely pointless.

I am keeping the GTI as is for a month or two - I can afford to run both cars, both cars are insured etc.. So if no-one is interested in buying it whole I'll be stripping it and selling it as a somewhat more standard vehicle and selling the bits separately.

Life story over.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2014, 07:27:32 am »
Nice choice with the CR170 Rocco, I ran one for 12months or so. . .

Ran it pretty low on coilies and it looked mint  :jumping: the arches are higher than on the golf so closing the arch gap leaves you with less clearance underneath than on the golf.

Loads and loads of VCDS tweaks possible with these (XDS, DRL option in MFD, needle sweep. . .). - if you have the facelift interior and yours is a MY2010 (hard to tell from the reg)

You should get mid-high 50's on a run, and think the tank is bigger than the mk5. 700+miles is possible to a tank

The soundaktor gives it a petrol-like soundtrack (if you like that sort of thing :ashamed:)

A Revo map will see 200-210bhp in typical smooooooth CR delivery. Stage 2 gets a pretty much smokeless 220bhp. Intake is supposed to make a bit of difference too.

Enjoy  :drinking:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:31:02 am by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #359 on: September 03, 2014, 08:33:36 am »
The under laying chassis of a mk5 Golf, the looks of a coupe and the performance you can live with. Win all round.

My only problem with the Rocco is I can not decide which wheels suit them... Otherwise it's a beautiful car.