Make a donation

Author Topic: Jay's actual GTI... now with added accuair.  (Read 106504 times)

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Jay's actual GTI...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 09:14:55 am »
Great update Jay, can't wait to get my DV and pre cat done.

Any tips for bashing it out? Heard just try not to damage the sensor by it. Chisel and hammer job?

Si

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
Great update Jay, can't wait to get my DV and pre cat done.

Any tips for bashing it out? Heard just try not to damage the sensor by it. Chisel and hammer job?

Si

Thanks Si!
Yeah, just take the lambda out before you start hitting things. Exactly! Chisel and hammer, probably took... 5 minutes to get it all out? It was really crumbley. Kind of like a flake!  :laugh:

Offline G40will

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:24 pm »
Looking good jay, can't wait to see those wheels on there!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 01:59:55 am »
Cheers Will!

I got the faces back from paint today... a special House of Kolor colour that I spent 3 days trying to find.

In the end really really happy with the colour, in the sun there's such an awesome metallic flake and the way it just pops is amazing. Slight orange peel due to the powdercoat, but for a powdercoat, the finish is really good. I am looking into wet sanding them before we stick them together.
Looking forward to building them up.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:04:31 am by xjay1337 »

Offline DSG_Steel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 12:42:35 pm »
Very nice colour choice mate. Looking forward to seeing on the car  :popcornsoda:

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »
Very nice colour choice mate. Looking forward to seeing on the car  :popcornsoda:

X2
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 10:37:13 pm »
Thanks people

I have dropped them off with a local contact for wet sanding today.

Over the last few days I've been getting intermittent low oil pressure warnings on my dash. It would come on for a few seconds and then go out again, or it would come on after high revs/load situations. I panicked and haven't driven it.

After doing some research I found it could be the oil pick up pipe (thanks to Niki at R-tech for the thread he made which alerted me to the problem).
Had to buy the pick up pipe, oil and what not on my credit card  :sad1: :sad1: but I was brought a Halfords professional tool kit which was great..

Car jacked up and all secured on axle stands with the jack on the suspension arm for extra safety. Ben looking a bit confused  :signLOL:

Before Ben arrived I had drained all of the oil already.

Getting the sump off is not actually too difficult. Around 20 10mm bolts, with 3 larger bolts going through the bell housing into the sump. Three of the 10mm bolts were a pain in the arse due to them being angled. You either need a severely wobbly extension or you can use a 5mm ball headed allen key and a spanner, which is what we did.

Then you have 2 bolts holding the turbo oil pipe on to the back of the sump. There is a metal gasket on this. As long as you don't bend it or crack it you can re-use it.

When everything is removed you scratch your head wondering why the sump is still magically staying on.. There's a tab on the passengers side which is just enough room to get a screw driver in, wiggle it about (use the shaft if you can not the head to avoid damaging the mating surfaces) and it will drop. It's not heavy but don't let it fall down.

And here is what you see afterwards..

You can see my pick up is well and truly clogged.

The sump itself

This is on a car with 86k and that had been previously on long-life oil services, between 12 and 15k. Not too bad but obviously bad enough.

After a thorough clean with brake cleaner, plenty of neat BH Surfex and warm water....much better!!

So we cleaned the mating surface of any remaining sealant/gasket and put in the new oil pickup

Ben has a much steadier hand than me so he did the application of the sealant. There is an official VW part for this but it's just a high temperature gasket sealant, after doing some research I found that Loctite 5920 would be perfectly good. So that's what we used.

A very thin bean is required, 2-4mm, as applied in the picture. Any more than that and it could get sucked up into the oil pick up, pump, or into the turbo!  :scared:

Oil filter replaced with a genuine VW one, complete with 5.3 litres of Mobil 1 5w/40, gave a completed job well done.

Car started, sounded much better, idling happier. Gentle warm up drive followed by some blats up and down a dual carriageway revealed no problems!  :happy2:

Going to run this oil and filter till end of July and then swap it out (around 1200 miles) and then keep it on 8-10k oil changes.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:29 pm »
Excellent Job Jay and good write up as well.Glad it was a easy fix

Offline torque777

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Re: Jay's actual GTI...
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 07:00:33 am »
Glad you found this out sooner rather than later ..ive never been a fan of longlife service plan

sent using my own fingers

Offline faisal_16

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 07:33:31 pm »
Looks a very nice base mate, OEM xenons too  :smiley:

Good work also, like the attention to detail

Offline DRM92

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 03:10:56 pm »
Those alloys look f'in smart Jay, was waiting for you to put a build thread on edition but found it on here first! Looking forward to seeing it with the wheels on, spec looks good on this GTi too. Guessing you will be getting silly amount of power from this, still amazed how you got so much power + torque from that TDi!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:13 pm »
I've been really busy with work and the gym lately so sorry for the delay in replying.

Excellent Job Jay and good write up as well.Glad it was a easy fix

Thanks Andy, yeah I'm chuffed too  :happy2:

Glad you found this out sooner rather than later ..ive never been a fan of longlife service plan

Yeah that is true, and glad it happened while I was near home rather than at a meet or something. I dislike the longlife service plan, I do at the worst every 10k, but unfortunately previous owners don't always have the same level of OCD  :grin:

Looks a very nice base mate, OEM xenons too  :smiley:

Good work also, like the attention to detail

Thanks mate. On the subject of attention to detail it needs some serious bodywork, I need new skirts both sides, all the rubstrips respraying, bonnet and bumper, both wings, and a new rear valance... so that will start end of July until the start of winter.

Those alloys look f'in smart Jay, was waiting for you to put a build thread on edition but found it on here first! Looking forward to seeing it with the wheels on, spec looks good on this GTi too. Guessing you will be getting silly amount of power from this, still amazed how you got so much power + torque from that TDi!

Hey mate, thanks. Yeah they look even better now! (see the post below) - I will put a thread up on Edition, but it will be after GTI International. I'm not going to go much after stage 2 level of tune. I'd be happy with around 260bhp and 280-300lb ft. I find myself driving this a lot more economically on a daily basis to make up the huge loss of MPG around town.

I really miss my old car. A mate of mine tagged me in a picture of it, the new owner has taken it to a race track for a show and it was parked up in the paddock. It looks as good as when I sold it so happy to know at least he's looking after it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:52:04 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:53 pm »
The lips are finished.
Three are pretty good. One unfortunately still has pitting that we cannot remove. I polished 1 3/4 of them and my mate did the rest. We went down to 180 grit on the pitted one and it would not remove them so have to look into getting them all professionally mirror polished over the winter. They will do for this summer anyway.

I want to get some new bolts, I have a set of 8/10 condition bolts to rebuild them with already but they are polished/stainless and I want something a little more special. We'll have to see how money is.

And now onto the faces..

I wanted the durability of a powdercoat finish, I find wetspray is too easily chipped or marked.
While I do detailing and can do paint correction quite happily I've never done wet sanding

So a guy local to me offered to take a look and this is the result... Before left, after right.

The guy who did it is called Nick and he's a top bloke, give his page a visit, he is on Facebook @Detail My Car. I would recommend his services and his integrity.

and his website is here:  http://www.detailmycar.co.uk/

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 07:49:28 pm »
The lips are finished.
Three are pretty good. One unfortunately still has pitting that we cannot remove. I polished 1 3/4 of them and my mate did the rest. We went down to 180 grit on the pitted one and it would not remove them so have to look into getting them all professionally mirror polished over the winter. They will do for this summer anyway.

I want to get some new bolts, I have a set of 8/10 condition bolts to rebuild them with already but they are polished/stainless and I want something a little more special. We'll have to see how money is.

And now onto the faces..

I wanted the durability of a powdercoat finish, I find wetspray is too easily chipped or marked.
While I do detailing and can do paint correction quite happily I've never done wet sanding

So a guy local to me offered to take a look and this is the result... Before left, after right.

The guy who did it is called Nick and he's a top bloke, give his page a visit, he is on Facebook @Detail My Car. I would recommend his services and his integrity.

and his website is here:  http://www.detailmycar.co.uk/

That's wicked! We've had summer for the next 5 years though :( !
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 07:59:29 pm »
Loving the Colour Purple Jay :happy2:

Reminds me of the purple that Lamborghini used to have on the Diablo. :love:

Golf R gone.