Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508765 times)

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1470 on: January 12, 2010, 02:49:30 pm »
Not sure if you've heard, but Santa Pod have called off the RWYB on the 17th due to the weather.....

Yeah posted up a little while ago in the Santa Pod meet thread..  :sad1: Ill be heading down there on the 24th now..  :happy2:

More time for some more bits  :laugh:

:happy2:

They're also allowing passenger rides too in road legal cars.....  :laugh: :driver:

Passenger = Weight  :scared:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1471 on: January 12, 2010, 03:27:50 pm »
Passenger = Weight  :scared:

I only need 1 run to do a time though..  :happy2: Ill probably do 4 runs on the day, the first one ill do on my own then the rest probably with passengers..  :smiley:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #1472 on: January 12, 2010, 04:09:55 pm »

I notice you have reflective gold taped in the hotspot area above the turbo.

I can understand the reasons for gold tape under a heat shield to improve temperatures on an air intake pipe (now done on mine), but why reflect heat back from the underside of the bonnet?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #1473 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:53 pm »

I notice you have reflective gold taped in the hotspot area above the turbo.

I can understand the reasons for gold tape under a heat shield to improve temperatures on an air intake pipe (now done on mine), but why reflect heat back from the underside of the bonnet?

If it's being painted white (and I seem to recall it is) I'd have thought it'll help stop the paint from discolouring? CF it's self is fairly temperature resistant I think.

Jonny, are you only going to attempt a fast time the once then?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #1474 on: January 12, 2010, 04:32:11 pm »

If it's being painted white (and I seem to recall it is) I'd have thought it'll help stop the paint from discolouring? CF it's self is fairly temperature resistant I think.

....Sorry, mate, you lost me there. What's being painted white? - Isn't it only the exterior of the carbon bonnet which may get painted? I guess you mean that the carbon bonnet will get a hot spot effecting the paint above. Mine doesn't but Jonny's turbo will probably run hotter than mine, plus my carbon bonnet has an extract vent.

Yes, CF itself has excellent heat resistance properties.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1475 on: January 12, 2010, 04:33:36 pm »

Basically just to avoid the carbon from getting too hot from heat given off the manifold and dump tube.. I dont really fancy having a bonnet on fire!

Jonny, are you only going to attempt a fast time the once then?

Yeah pretty much.. Carbon is very good at resisting heat as a material anyways but its just to be safe really..

Well pretty much depends how it goes on the first run, if it feels good then ill leave it at that really.. All of the times I have ran the car the times have been within a couple of thousandths so there really would be no point trying to chase the time if its not there in the car..

....Sorry, mate, you lost me there. What's being painted white? - Isn't it only the exterior of the carbon bonnet which may get painted? I guess you mean that the carbon bonnet will get a hot spot effecting the paint above. Mine doesn't but Jonny's turbo will probably run hotter than mine, plus my carbon bonnet has an extract vent.

Yeah just the outside Robin..  :happy2:

Ohh and Just for fun thought I would make a little movie to give an idea of the noise this thing makes now on boost!  :wink:

Popped a huge flame from the dump tube too..  :grin:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:35:48 pm by jonnyc »

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #1476 on: January 12, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »

Sorry Robin, I did mean the bonnet being painted. But you're spot on, my deduction was that it was to just to protect the bonnet and the paint the other side for exposure to excessively high temps, which could possibly discolour the paint and who knows what else - better safe than sorry! The resin is nasty stuff, best not to try your luck over heating it!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #1477 on: January 12, 2010, 04:44:00 pm »

@ animal:  :happy2:

@ Jonny: I don't know how worthwhile or practical it would be to add an extract vent to your carbon bonnet but I was very surprised what a difference it seems to have made to mine. Nothing done scientifically but using the palm of my hand in a variety of areas both above the bonnet and in the engine bay after some long and spirited drives, my little extract vent seems to extract any heat significantly.

To be totally honest, it was available when I was getting mine and I chose it cos I thought it looked cool and didn't expect any benefits.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:31:07 pm by RedRobin »

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1478 on: January 12, 2010, 05:27:30 pm »
Do you know how much your turbo flows in kg/s at all?

Got some info today on the flow numbers of my turbo so thought it would be worth answering this one and adding some comparisons too..

The following numbers are max efficiency flow of the following turbo chargers in kg/s..

K03 - 0.17 kg/s (stock GTI turbo)
K04 - 0.21 kg/s (stock ED30 turbo)
K16 - 0.26 kg/s (stock TTRS / 996TT turbo)
K24 - 0.31 kg/s (stock 996 GT2 turbo)
Race GT3076R - 0.47 kg/s

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #1479 on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:08 pm »
All comig together rather nicely!

Out of intterest what are the performance figures of your track Aston, and how does it feel compared to the Edition 30??
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1480 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »

Out of intterest what are the performance figures of your track Aston, and how does it feel compared to the Edition 30??

Cheers mate..  :smiley:

I get asked this quite a bit and really to be honest, you simply can't compare.. No matter how fast a road car your talking about..

The Vantage GT2 was 1100kg / 500hp with downforce and proper geometry etc.. Its a proper racing car, and comparing ANY road car to even a GT2 spec car is pointless really, there is simply no comparison in terms of performance..

We made the step up to LMP1 using the Lola Coupe with a Judd V10 for the last 3 rounds of 2009 and that car is simply astonishingly fast.. 900kg / 750hp with full downforce (more than modern F1 cars) its just incredible..

The only way to kind of put it into context really is to talk of lap times.. For instance..

The current fastest lap round the Top gear track for a road car is a 1:17.1 from the Gumpert Apollo..

When AMR took the GT1 DBR9 to the Top Gear track it did a 1:08.6 (and was running with problems on the day)

Around an average lap an LMP1 car is around 10 seconds faster than a GT1 car (depending on the length of the lap).. So it would be comfortably in the 50 second range.. So yeah, quick! haha..  :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #1481 on: January 12, 2010, 07:09:29 pm »
well quickish, its no skoda :laugh:.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #1482 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:30 pm »

Cheers mate..  :smiley:

I get asked this quite a bit and really to be honest, you simply can't compare.. No matter how fast a road car your talking about..

The Vantage GT2 was 1100kg / 500hp with downforce and proper geometry etc.. Its a proper racing car, and comparing ANY road car to even a GT2 spec car is pointless really, there is simply no comparison in terms of performance..

We made the step up to LMP1 using the Lola Coupe with a Judd V10 for the last 3 rounds of 2009 and that car is simply astonishingly fast.. 900kg / 750hp with full downforce (more than modern F1 cars) its just incredible..

The only way to kind of put it into context really is to talk of lap times.. For instance..

The current fastest lap round the Top gear track for a road car is a 1:17.1 from the Gumpert Apollo..

When AMR took the GT1 DBR9 to the Top Gear track it did a 1:08.6 (and was running with problems on the day)

Around an average lap an LMP1 car is around 10 seconds faster than a GT1 car (depending on the length of the lap).. So it would be comfortably in the 50 second range.. So yeah, quick! haha..  :laugh:
Interesting read that mate and just shows you the difference between a fast car and a really FAST car.. :notworthy:
I rememeber this vid well, simply awesome...

It's not you playing the stig is it?  :confused: :signLOL:

Offline SKAVIA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 9
    • Build thread
« Reply #1483 on: January 12, 2010, 07:58:05 pm »

Ohh and Just for fun thought I would make a little movie to give an idea of the noise this thing makes now on boost!  :wink:

Fc*kin hell!
I want that as my ringtone!!! :grin:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #1484 on: January 12, 2010, 08:06:24 pm »
Sounds awful doesn't it?  :laugh:

Oh 100 pages.. Nice thread Mr Cocker..  :happy2: