Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 497020 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:15 pm »
I went down to the GTI International with Andy in convoy with the JBS guys - fastest I've EVER done that journey :signLOL:

Andy's car sounds awesome coming past you on the motorway private road doing ***mph. I thought mine was fast but his is just bonkers fast :drool: He did 11 second passes all weekend with a boost pipe leak :surprised:
I wouldn't be surprised if he got into the 10's at the pod now it's running well. :happy2:

err sorry Jonny for the thread jack :ashamed:

Lol its ok..

I have been out in that car with James from JBS driving it.. interesting lol..

It sure is quick, but the Mkiv chassis is poop.. Still, as a straight line monster nothing much would get close im sure!

Anyways the more and more I look at these carbon bits the more worried I am about fitment etc, seems that Seibon have not been getting very good reviews, and the Osir stuff I have had in the past were not fantastic.. May just have something made myself..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2009, 09:13:29 pm »
that r32 was being built in jbs s workshop when they re mapped my ed30 ! jbs are speed demons for definate imo the only place to go with any fast vw , audi , skoda etc

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2009, 09:22:57 pm »

Such a pity that whoever made that vid decided to drown the exhaust sound with silly music!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2009, 10:26:41 pm »
Custom CF FTW :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Mark M

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Loves to detail :)
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2009, 12:37:53 am »
Really nice looking wagon there!

Need to get the plate braket holes filled/smoothed/painted though  :happy2:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2009, 01:11:22 am »
Also it would have a better power to weight ratio figure than a 997 GT3 RS, E46 CSL, Nissan GTR, 997 Turbo, RS4, E92 M3, Noble M12 GT03-R, Lotus Exige S 240 Cup Race version.. You get the idea lol..

:)

Now you've really got me thinking  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:  I had plans for CF to shed weight and add a subtle look to the car - mine's black - but I didn't realise that 360bhp would put you in that territory.. and all for the princely sum of £50  :drool: :drool: :drool:  from my current Stage 2 Revo set-up.  I am concerned about stressing the turbo and other parts - like the engine - as Stage 2+ pushes the Ed30 to its limit with my current set-up.  I am planning on geting a Quaife LSD with uprated DSG parts so hopefully it should cope transmission wise.  Wondering if the driveshaft might snap later on... or the engine show premature wear.  Although I suppose it also depends on driving style. If I track it frequently or drive hard all the time then it will obviously have a negative effect and greatly increase the chances of failure somewhere.  But I take it quite easy on the Ed30 most of the time so maybe I can get away with it  :laugh: 

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2009, 11:13:42 am »
I don't think Stage 2+ alone will put it into GTR terriotory alone mate.. Jonny's will be when it's finished, as it will of shed over a 1/4 of a tonne in weight, so seriously raising it's bhp/tonne.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:06 pm »
I don't think Stage 2+ alone will put it into GTR terriotory alone mate.. Jonny's will be when it's finished, as it will of shed over a 1/4 of a tonne in weight, so seriously raising it's bhp/tonne.

Agreed, although I'm losing some weight - but not 1/4 tonne  :surprised:  As long as its stupid fast I'm happy  :grin: :grin: :grin: BTW, my next car will be a GT-R  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »
Yeah its the weight and power together which makes the difference, a standard weight ED30 with 360BHP has 262Hp/Ton mine should be running 310+Hp/Ton  :happy2: (If I can get it down to my target base weight)

Jonny

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:14 pm »
Not replied to this thread, but my hat goes of to you JonnyC.

You have really set the standard when it comes to modding/upgrading cars. All your previous work was jaw dropping.

Love your thinking on this Mk5 ed.30, LTW has always been the best mod for performance ! Also love your taste in styling mods  8)

Really hope to see your car in the flesh one day .  8)

Your old mk5 was an inspiration to me, i made my ed30 look exactly like it !!!  :grin:  :happy2:

keep up the great work !!!   :drinking:

Raj

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »
Thanks mate..

So many plans for the car! Even more after being at Autosport for the last couple of days, did manage to get a minute spare to see a few guys about my Golf which was nice..

Little Update..

Im having my own bonnet made, but thats going to take a while..

The boot lid im not going to bother, the weight difference vs. the look and fitment of the carbon product just isn't enough.. Also as Im going to be painting/vinyl wrapping the carbon there is nothing in it for the look anyways..

So im planning on lightening the standard boot lid with the poly carbonate screen (super thin 2mm) deleting the rear wiper mechanism and removing some of the OTT strengthening in the OEM metal boot lid.. Once all that is done I should be at a similar weight to the carbon item, for much less money with a much nicer final look  :happy2:

Think this is going to be the best way to go, its imperative to me that the carbon parts look 100% like the factory parts, otherwise IMO it just looks cheap! And a Shi**y finish on jus one part can completely destroy the overall look of a car..

Pretty much decided on the intercooler solution for my car, its going to be something a little different, as far as im aware no one will have this set up when its fitted to my car, im confident that it should be the best around!  :laugh:

Found the seats that ill be having fitted, going for the Recaro Pole positions, but with a major twist.. Going to end up completely custom really, but should look absolutely stunning!! Really cant wait for these (And should save me 45-50kg's too!!)

Bit of a breakthrough on the brakes too, again something completely different, most will have never heard of them, but trust me.. They are amazing!! No deal done here just yet so ill keep quiet until its confirmed..

So there we are, suppose it looks like im changing my mind all the time but as im posting updates as I go along thats just part of it I guess.. Really hope that I can get most of it done in time for the Pod meet, Im guessing that is going to be fairly tricky as im running out of time (and money) very quickly..  :wink:

Jonny

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2009, 10:41:29 pm »
I dont like posting on this thread as it clutters it up but just this once lol. Some cracking ideas there jonnyc, really individual too.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2009, 08:17:28 pm »
Its official..

Car is booked in to go to VW Racing on Monday for a load of bits to be fitted..

Unfortunately there is a back order on the seats and I wont be able to have the poly windows fitted for another 3-4 weeks, so not in time for the Pod date!

Shame.. Still, ill be there and doing my best  :happy2:

Cant wait to drop the car off with the guys there, going to be a new beast when I pick it up im sure!!

Big update coming once I get the car back! Should be late next week :driver:

Quite excited.. lol  :laugh:

Jonny

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:40 pm »
good luck johnny, enjoying reading your progress- and wishing I get a big prize from premium bonds   :happy2:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: January 15, 2009, 04:32:09 pm »
Its official..

Car is booked in to go to VW Racing on Monday for a load of bits to be fitted..

Unfortunately there is a back order on the seats and I wont be able to have the poly windows fitted for another 3-4 weeks, so not in time for the Pod date!

Shame.. Still, ill be there and doing my best  :happy2:

Cant wait to drop the car off with the guys there, going to be a new beast when I pick it up im sure!!

Big update coming once I get the car back! Should be late next week :driver:

Quite excited.. lol  :laugh:

Jonny

Sounds interesting mate.. Whats being put on out of interest? Or is it more 'taken off'?  :wink: