Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508836 times)

Offline tomoc2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #885 on: May 12, 2009, 03:41:59 pm »
Can't wait!!!

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #888 on: May 12, 2009, 06:17:19 pm »
So how was the drive home Jonny?!...  :wink:

I hope your sat down?? lol..

The next job was to get rid of some more weight, the following parts were to be removed..

* Air con pipes, compressor and rad
* Fog lights
* Headlight washer system
* Rear seatbelts
* Misc brackets
* One horn
* Front and rear arch liners

Removing the parts..

Air con system..

The air con removal is a big job, the system needs de gassing, removing then a shorter belt fitted as the compressor is not present..

Plus headlight washers and fogs..

I never use air con or fog lights, so its not a problem for me at all.. The headlight washers needed to come out anyways as they were broken from being iced up over the winter.. No point fitting another set! ha..

The car needed plugging in to get rid of the codes thrown by the fogs and the headlight washers being removed, not a big problem..

The car feels amazing, again weight is the enemy here and its really made a big difference having a further 53kg out of the car!!

The brakes are great and new suspension / set up, although pretty extreme for a road set up, and probably not to many peoples tastes either.. I love it! Its just what I want from the car..

The biggest shock however is the difference that removing the air con has made, the engine revs far quicker (due to the fact that its not driving the AC pump any more) and it feels as if the intercooler is working better, not really a surprise when you consider the AC rad sits directly in front of the OEM intercooler..

Anyways! Its awesome, im happy and the car is even quicker now!

Big thanks to all at VWR, can't say enough good stuff about those guys, mega work!

Removing air con.  Keep thinking about doing this...

What is left in the way of hot / cold heating / cooling? Anything or nothing?  Sorry if its an obvious answer

Many thanks

And Mental Mk5 WOW ! ! !

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #889 on: May 12, 2009, 06:25:47 pm »
All of the heater has been kept in the car, that would be going a bit far lol..

Just no air con thats all..

Do it, its well worth it.. But if you do it your kind of limiting who would want to buy the car, thats the only potential trouble..

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #890 on: May 12, 2009, 06:48:52 pm »
wow!!! is your car running nearly 370 bhp!! must be to get 300bhp per tonne!! nice one, that thing will be awsome on track mate!! :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #891 on: May 12, 2009, 06:57:49 pm »

Do it, its well worth it.. But if you do it your kind of limiting who would want to buy the car, thats the only potential trouble..

Decided :)  She needs to go on a diet and your weapon has got me motivated and inspired me... 

could always be refitted later?? if i was to sell...

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #892 on: May 12, 2009, 06:59:06 pm »
:happy2:
wow!!! is your car running nearly 370 bhp!! must be to get 300bhp per tonne!! nice one, that thing will be awsome on track mate!! :happy2:
Needs to go on  a set of dyno dynamics rollers to find out .

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #893 on: May 12, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »

Yep, basically all of the bolt on's with K04 and Revo Stage 2+.. There is maybe a little more to come, im working on something a bit trick..

Decided :)  She needs to go on a diet and your weapon has got me motivated and inspired me... 

could always be refitted later?? if i was to sell...

Haha, do it yeah! Yep you would be able to re fit it..

Bare in mind though that its the thick end of £300 to have it removed.. And same again to fit it.. I know your capable of making your own mind up, just its not a cheap 'mod' lol.. Around 10kg of weight off the front end though!

:happy2:
Needs to go on  a set of dyno dynamics rollers to find out .

I'd love to have a real figure for the car actually, but going off what others have, and considering mine has a lot more done to it, then 360-370hp is a pretty safe bet.. Could be more!

Offline jamiekip

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #894 on: May 12, 2009, 07:05:17 pm »

The plan is to get it at a track day some time soon and see what it can do.. Ideally I want to compare the time to a BTCC car, I think the car is capable of being faster round a lap whilst still being fully road legal, that would be pretty cool!  :laugh:

I'm in for this - would be an awesome sight!  :driver:
TTRS Suzuka Grey

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #895 on: May 12, 2009, 07:14:05 pm »
Wow, great stuff happening jonny, sounds extreme   :driver:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #896 on: May 12, 2009, 08:09:14 pm »
you must be tempted with the laughing gas surely jonny.....or maybe a bit of Water/Methanol Injection perhaps.  :happy2:

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #897 on: May 12, 2009, 08:27:22 pm »
snow performace would really push it to the limit!!! should see another 10-15bhp with snow performance stage 2 kit (water/methanol) i have seen people get an extra 60-70bhp by fitting snow performance to there car's

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #898 on: May 12, 2009, 08:54:42 pm »
you must be tempted with the laughing gas surely jonny.....or maybe a bit of Water/Methanol Injection perhaps.  :happy2:

W/M is on the way along with larger injectors, more boost and some other bits.. Im really interested to see what we can make on the K04 turbo..

Its not going to gain a huge amount of top end power, as that is limited by the flow of the turbo itself but for sure we can raise the mid range up.. Eg, it may make 350hp+ but as low as 4000rpm then 380ish at 7500rpm.. Its not just the peak power that is important, but I suppose that is what grabs the attention! haha..

The next goal will be 500hp, if im going to go big turbo then im going to do it properly first time round.. So rods, pistons, custom turbo kit, custom tune, DSG clutches etc etc etc..

I want to get some big wheels and tyres on the car before then though, the car can cope with the power it has now with no problem what so ever, honestly.. But 500hp will be too much.. So ill go for a 9" rim with 265/35/18 cut slicks.. Another 30mm contact patch should help!   :happy2:

Big plans for this car.. My aim is to have the best all round (ROAD) GTI in the world.. Some of the guys in the states have loads of power but I would put good money on my car being right up there if there was a few corners thrown in  :wink:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #899 on: May 12, 2009, 09:26:31 pm »
hehe now you're talking.

i'm thinking GT30/35 will be in your plans. but there ain't THAT much room in the engine bay.

7500rpm? How you planning to raise the rev limiter to that level?

no idea what the rev limit of the ED30 is, but can you ping 7k rpm at the mo?

You'll need to get a proper Intake Mani made up too I reckon. wow this is gonna cost a lot of ££££'s.

We're all rooting for ya jonny!  :jumping: