Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 496816 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #945 on: May 15, 2009, 05:44:22 pm »
yeah he's got milltex system and a map etc

Cool.. Went pretty well I thought.. Although I think he was a bit puzzled that I was lifting off haha..

Update..

So with GTI International fast approaching I want to make sure that I get the car as ready as it can be for the event! When I say ready, I really mean fast lol..

Ill be on the Revo stand and should be running up the strip throughout the day!

There is going to be some pretty tough competition this year on the strip, thought it would be fun to see if I could stay on top.. Although, im not sure if the times at GTI will be as fast / accurate as Santa Pod, but on the day it should be a good little comparison to how some other cars are running!!

The first big thing that I want to get sorted out is traction, the 235/40/18 R888's are working well for me but for sure there is some more to come in the 60ft times and it would be awesome to get a bit more rubber on the car! It would also look pretty awesome!!

The plan is to have a set of 18x8.5 wheels made up (im going for the Compomotive MVS 1885) Its quite a nice looking wheel, light weight at just over 9kg and they will make the wheel in any offset you want, so I will be able to get them just right!!

Plan would be to have them finished in Matte black..

Then and fit a set of 255/35/18 (260mm wide) Toyo R888's tyres to them, this will give me an extra 16mm contact patch per corner, so 64mm in total! A pretty substantial increase over the 235/40 (244mm wide) R888's that im running currently..

Standard 225/40 tyre contact patch - 880mm
New 255/35 R888 contact patch - 1040mm (should help with traction!)

Toyo R1R in pic, but gives an idea of how big the 255/35 (260mm wide) tyre looks!!

Its going to be a fair bit of work to make them fit but I think it will be worth it in the end, and im hoping this should really help out with traction off the line and throughout 1st gear..

The next area to look at is the suspension itself, im going to be fitting a set of lightweight KW Race anti-roll bars, these are 3 way adjustable and should help control the rate of roll, just something that is nice to have, also should save me a couple of KG's which helps!

Ill be replacing the front bottom arms with OEM TT items, these are not only lighter (aluminium rather than steel) but they also offer an additional 0.5 degrees negative camber for the front end, so I should be able to run around 2.7 degrees front static camber and keep all of the caster I have too, looking forward to these!

TT arms..

Compared to stock..

They will also be fitted with the WALK and poly bushed rear bushes at the same time.. 4kg lighter than the stock items apparently too!

The seats will be coming back out, and all of the interior removed, lightened, then re installed.. There will be NO visual difference at all, but we think that there is a good 15kg of weight to come out from, sound deadening materials and bits and bobs that are not required behind the trims.. Also some of the trims will be cut back on the reverse side to save a bit of weight.. All helps remember!!

Im going to also have the spare wheel well cut out and replaced with an aluminum panel.. I dont run with a spare wheel in the car so its not an issue from that point of view. This should save a good little chunk of weight, not sure how much but we will find out im sure!!

The last thing will be to fit polycarbonate rear windows to the car, this is reported to save around 15kg over the standard glass.. Well worth doing for my car or as part of any big weight saving project!!

There is one other VERY trick part that im working on, it would be a first for this car, im waiting on some more info, so maybes it will be on in time, maybes not, but it would save me a good 20kg on the car!! Fingers crossed!!

The aim is to get down to 12.4's with the K04 set up and a completely road legal, no race fuel, no water/meth pump fuel car..

Then ill go and do big turbo, and aim for 500hp! And it should sound a little more like this!!

(1 flying Lap at Croft in my Old big turbo S3 before I got thrown off for noise lol.. 103.7 DB static.. Oops!)

I think with the planned big HP set up the car is going to be pretty mental.. But in a good way of course!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:45:59 pm by jonnyc »
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #946 on: May 15, 2009, 05:51:03 pm »
Jonny, I'd love to meet up with you one day so that you can educate me about suspension modifications!!! All this talk about caster/camber/arms/top mounts/bushes etc etc makes me want to do it all to mine!  :happy2:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #947 on: May 15, 2009, 06:08:23 pm »

Jonny, I'd love to meet up with you one day so that you can educate me about suspension modifications!!! All this talk about caster/camber/arms/top mounts/bushes etc etc makes me want to do it all to mine!  :happy2:

....Not that Jonny won't help you (he's always very helpful), but Mark at VWR can also help you.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #948 on: May 15, 2009, 06:11:58 pm »
Jonny,

surely the extra width of the bigger tyre will be wasted as you're running a ridiculous amount of front static camber?

So the contact patch won't be a full 260mm at all, more like 200mm perhaps!

And not sure how many runs your tyres will last if you're doing 1/4 mile sprints with that amount of camber.

Just a thought.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #949 on: May 15, 2009, 06:14:00 pm »
Jonny,

surely the extra width of the bigger tyre will be wasted as you're running a ridiculous amount of front static camber?

So the contact patch won't be a full 260mm at all, more like 200mm perhaps!

And not sure how many runs your tyres will last if you're doing 1/4 mile sprints with that amount of camber.

Just a thought.

Yep, I see what your saying but 2.2 degrees, or even 2.7 degrees is far from ridiculous.. Plus the flex in the side wall would have almost all of the tyre sat on the ground at that camber setting. Its only when you get up to 5 degrees + that you will notice the outside edge of the tyre sat off the ground..

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #950 on: May 15, 2009, 06:20:10 pm »
just trying to relate back to us mere mortals you see JC...not sure how many road cars out there run over 2 degrees of negative camber you see!  :signLOL:

but from a basic understanding of how a  -2 degree camber'd wheel vs say -0.5 would look, I can only imagine the inside half of the tyre will take the most of the weight, and the outer not doing a lot.

That's why negative camber works a treat in the corners, as all the weight pushing over to that wheel makes the wheel straighten up hence given u 100% contact patch usage of your tyre.

Put you as a racing driver would know all that anyway.

Looking forward to how it goes at GTI. I've booked up 3 runs on the saturday...hope i'm not up against you on any of them  :grin:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #951 on: May 15, 2009, 06:30:46 pm »
just trying to relate back to us mere mortals you see JC...not sure how many road cars out there run over 2 degrees of negative camber you see!  :signLOL:

but from a basic understanding of how a  -2 degree camber'd wheel vs say -0.5 would look, I can only imagine the inside half of the tyre will take the most of the weight, and the outer not doing a lot.

That's why negative camber works a treat in the corners, as all the weight pushing over to that wheel makes the wheel straighten up hence given u 100% contact patch usage of your tyre.

Put you as a racing driver would know all that anyway.

Looking forward to how it goes at GTI. I've booked up 3 runs on the saturday...hope i'm not up against you on any of them  :grin:

haha, ill be there on the Sunday I think, so probably not..

Good point, not many road cars run over 2.0 degrees.. There is a big mis conception as to camber / tyre wear.. Negative camber does not ruin the inside tyre, that it down to too much toe out.. Something that happens when a car is lowered and not re aligned..

Yeah, hopefully it goes well.. Looking forward to it! haha..  :smiley:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #952 on: May 15, 2009, 06:35:36 pm »
re misconception.......that actually i can believe!

put some Bilstein PSS9 coilovers on a car many moons ago, went to a RR day, and it was sparking on the rollers!

found out inside edge of the front tyres were mullered (threads were showing)

got them changed, and alignment checked. Toe out settings were way off normal, front wheels were basically at a V shape!

reset toe settings and happy as larry afterwards!!!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #953 on: May 17, 2009, 02:32:21 pm »
Think i'll be popping down to Inters on the sunday JC to have a butchers and cheer on the Mk5 lads.. As for the strip, you'll have the Mk5 Golf section well and truely in the bag, but depending on what turns up for the FWD crown that's another battle all together (Jabba's Mk2 Golf will take some beating  :scared:)..
Looking forward to seeing the new additions though bud as she seems to be coming along nicely..

Oh and them rims..  :drool:

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #954 on: May 17, 2009, 04:07:32 pm »
Re. the wide tyres, won't there be a drag issue caused by the amount of rubber that's in contact with the tarmac?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #955 on: May 17, 2009, 05:35:58 pm »
Think i'll be popping down to Inters on the sunday JC to have a butchers and cheer on the Mk5 lads.. As for the strip, you'll have the Mk5 Golf section well and truely in the bag, but depending on what turns up for the FWD crown that's another battle all together (Jabba's Mk2 Golf will take some beating  :scared:)..
Looking forward to seeing the new additions though bud as she seems to be coming along nicely..

Oh and them rims..  :drool:

Well I want to have the fastest FWD 2.0T FSI, that is the main goal.. Then fastest MK5 obviously will almost be part of that as at the moment the fastest FWD 2.0T FSI cars are mainly MK5's..

The fastest FWD car will be a bit of a mission! Although I doubt that MK2 runs on road fuel or tyres does it??

Re. the wide tyres, won't there be a drag issue caused by the amount of rubber that's in contact with the tarmac?

The only issue will be launching it from high enough revs such that it doesn't bog down on the start..  :evilgrin:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #956 on: May 17, 2009, 06:52:23 pm »
Those wheels look awesome Jonny, cant wait to see your motor in action at Inters  :jumpmove: :jumpmove:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #957 on: May 17, 2009, 07:13:59 pm »
no way i'm lining up next to him  :grin:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #958 on: May 17, 2009, 10:35:24 pm »
Out of interest where abouts did you get the r1r's from? because I can't find a living sole that sells them?

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #959 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:58 pm »
Out of interest where abouts did you get the r1r's from? because I can't find a living sole that sells them?

Luke

Thats just a pic from the net, there not for sale in the UK for a while yet..

Also the pic of the wheels is the same, they are someone else's wheels, mine should be all ordered up tomorrow!! :laugh: