Make a donation

Author Topic: New S3 pricing released  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: New S3 pricing released
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
S3 engine manifold integrated into the cylinder head so it might not tune aswell or atleast not at higher power levels with a bigger turbo.

Not sure if the engine will be the same

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 02:09:39 pm »
This 'real world'' it would demolish it in, what is this?

You've got an S3 class car costing £10k less beating an RS3. It's 2 seconds faster around the Ring than the RS3 and .3 slower around Hockenheim. That's not tyres, it's the Haldex getting out of 2nd gear bends fractionally quicker.
The previous 1M was 5 seconds and 1.3 seconds faster than the RS3 respectively.

If being faster in the rain, or launching off inner city roundabouts is important to you, then yes, it'll be faster.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:53:42 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 02:51:38 pm »
This 'real world'' it would demolish it in, what is this?

You've got an S3 class car costing £10k less beating an RS3. It's 2 seconds faster around the Ring than the RS3 and .3 slower around Hockenheim.
The previous 1M was 5 seconds and 1.3 seconds faster than the RS3 respectively.

If being faster in the rain, or launching off inner city roundabouts is important to you, then yes, it'll be faster.

Come off it tony.

You don't buy a s3, rs3 or BMW 1 series for the racetrack do you. They are road cars. We both know that those 3 cars would cost a fortune to track every other week, never mind them not even being up for the task. If you are serious about going around the nurburgring, hockeheim etc you will buy a proper track dedicated toy. You can get something seriously competent from anything between 2k-10k.

And therefore I don't see the logic behind lap times.

Also why compare the 1m to the rs3? Ones a coupe, the other is essentially a estate. Compare it with the TTRS not the rs3.

But back in the real world, where these cars spend the majority of the time the rs3 is a quicker point to point car than the new s3 and the new 1 series in the majority of situations.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 03:00:02 pm »
The real world has traffic, speed limits, obstacles, pedestrians....

The lap times show what each car is capable of in a controlled environment, like for like. It's the only way to compare, even if it's not comparable with day to day life.

You do 1/4 miles at the Pod.
You do 30-130's at Brunters.

What's the difference?
Sideways yo!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 03:03:59 pm »

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »

The lap times show what each car is capable of in a controlled environment, like for like. It's the only way to compare, even if it's not comparable with day to day life.

What's the difference?

30-130 is achievable in the real world, same as the 1/4 mile sprint, track times still have wayyyyyyyy too many variables, never mind the fact that the average driver will most likely be quicker in a powerful 4wd car than a powerful rwd.

We have all seen the rear end of a powerful BMW or merc squirm or fishtail under power at which point the driver loses his balls and backs off, this is mostly a non issue for 4wd cars.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 03:20:42 pm »
Will definitely be getting a test drive in the new S3 to see what Audi can offer.

In the mean time whilst my car is on for some minor work, I'm conducting some major hoonage in this..  :driver:

By god it's good fun - even on the optional wankflats that it unfortunately cam with..
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:38:03 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »

What's the difference?

30-130 is achievable in the real world, same as the 1/4 mile sprint, track times still have wayyyyyyyy too many variables, never mind the fact that the average driver will most likely be quicker in a powerful 4wd car than a powerful rwd.

We have all seen the rear end of a powerful BMW or merc squirm or fishtail under power at which point the driver loses his balls and backs off, this is mostly a non issue for 4wd cars.

But it isn't legal, so you go to a controlled environment. Or, at least you should.

I do agree most people lack the knowledge or balls to drive RWD fast, but 4WD isn't without its problems or limitations, you make it sound like it's the answer to everything. Certainly in Haldex format, it is not.

Track times don't have variables when it's the same person driving the car. I have no doubt in my mind that HVS or Rohrl are capable of putting a car around a track in fast and consistent times.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:35:56 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 03:38:30 pm »
What I'm saying is that track times when done by none pro's.

Just look at the Porsche vs GtR debates.

Unless rohrl is driving most people can't beat GTR's in their Porsches. The GTR is just more accessible for ordinary folks

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 03:39:43 pm »
I'm not a advocate of 4wd for track driving in any shape or form btw, I don't even like turbos on a track car, but for the road, give me 4wd and turbos.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
Pointless, the bm is faster on a track and on the road you would never notice. The s3 looks like a really nice car to me but if your buying a performance car you buy the one with the best chassis IMO and track it of course, even if its just 3 times a year.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 04:34:47 pm »
And it only beats the rs3 on "steering feel, and driver enjoyment" it's still a slower than the rs3.

I would say the bold part is rather important, wouldn't you? I think you missed out price, as well...

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 04:40:39 pm »
Pointless, the bm is faster on a track and on the road you would never notice. The s3 looks like a really nice car to me but if your buying a performance car you buy the one with the best chassis IMO and track it of course, even if its just 3 times a year.

Rubbish,

When me and my mates go for a run the tuned evos,my TTRS and the GTR, always have to eventually slow down and wait for the rwd cars to catch back up. Even the 650hp G-power m3, it just can't utilise it's power even in a straight line until silly speeds.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:42:48 pm by Poverty »

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 04:42:00 pm »
And it only beats the rs3 on "steering feel, and driver enjoyment" it's still a slower than the rs3.

I would say the bold part is rather important, wouldn't you? I think you missed out price, as well...

Price between the s3 and 1 series is the same.

Price between the rs3 and the amg a45 is the same...

Yes it's important, but how important depends on the driver. If it ranks really highly for you why are you driving a VAG?

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 05:07:03 pm »
I'm not a advocate of 4wd for track driving in any shape or form btw, I don't even like turbos on a track car, but for the road, give me 4wd and turbos.

Pretty much nails it.