Make a donation

Author Topic: New S3 pricing released  (Read 8041 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: New S3 pricing released
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 05:20:26 pm »
Pointless, the bm is faster on a track and on the road you would never notice. The s3 looks like a really nice car to me but if your buying a performance car you buy the one with the best chassis IMO and track it of course, even if its just 3 times a year.

Rubbish,

When me and my mates go for a run the tuned evos,my TTRS and the GTR, always have to eventually slow down and wait for the rwd cars to catch back up. Even the 650hp G-power m3, it just can't utilise it's power even in a straight line until silly speeds.
Have you heard yourself? If your going so fast that a 650bhp m3 can't keep up on the road your going too fast, have you ever been on a track? Does that not get rid of the need to drive like that on the road!
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 05:34:03 pm »
Have you ever been to one of the piston heads early morning Sunday meets? If not have a look on their forum and that will answer your question.

Plus it has nothing to do with it being 650hp and not being able to keep up more as such that its got 650hp and it doesn't have the traction to keep up.

It's not as if we are doing 130, as at that point traction isn't all that much of an issue for an m3 me-thinks so no need to play the going too fast for the road thing.

As for track days they bore me unless you have the right kind of car. I prefer to do go kart events with proper wheel to wheel racing.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 05:53:02 pm »
So no then, u can't drive a Clio anywhere near its limits on the road so how you can any of the cars u mention is beyond me, as for pistonheads hoons no I never have.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 05:55:45 pm »
The pro-driver track times and the opinions of people like Monkey are important, despite whatever you think of them compared to the real world.

Joe Public buys cars on the strength of these reviews, because you can't trust a manufacturer to tell the truth. These are the only way of knowing what a car is really capable of, and whilst your average Joe might not be able to get the same results, it matters.

Of course if you're looking for a shopping kart, then the tests are pointless. It's all about context.

Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 05:56:02 pm »
I agree you can't drive these cars near their limits on the roads which is why lap time figures for a car are largely pointless and meaningless, especially if they are roughly the same.

My whole point is that on the road though in the real world 4wd is always quicker than rwd/fwd in 90% of British conditions.

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 06:05:20 pm »

My whole point is that on the road though in the real world 4wd is always quicker than rwd/fwd in 90% of British conditions.

As we are stiring the hornets nest, I would say the above although true also means driving boredom.... Audi could make their 4wd cars more exciting (and has on some models) however they keep making the junior Audi's far too safe. If you want a good looking car to do the school run in then you should buy an A3 2L S-Line be it diesel or petrol. If you want a performance car then you should be able to buy an S3/RS3 with some true driver involvement

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »
Well audi's argument is that even the hot models still need to drive like a Audi, and stay true to the marquee. Personally the TTRS bores the utter day lights out of me on track for example, but on the right roads it makes me smile, and it still does the day to day well. I don't think it's ever going change, unless perhaps they expand the R-range, but then again Audi have bought Porsche now. Want a track oriented VAG, buy Porsche is the simple answer.

And to stir further, in every class of the Tuner GP of which a VAG and a BMW was in the same class the VAG beat it...

Anyhow, I fancy a Dax rush and a Porsche next, then my life is complete.
Ok maybe a big v8 amg too.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 06:43:35 pm »
I can say with some confidence that on a UK road, given an S3 and a MK7 mapped to give equivalent power:weight/torque - I'd be faster point to point in the GTI in anything other than rain or snow.

Who get's up and says 'oh great, it's pissing it down, let's go for a thrash!'.....
Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 06:55:09 pm »
I don't think you would, I used to think that aswell, but I know for a fact, unless speeds are kept up above 50mph throughout the "run" you wouldn't stand a chance.

I learned that in my 360hp Cupra vs my mates 400hp Evo. In a straight line, there was nothing in it, throw in some roundabouts on the dual carriage way we were on at the time and I was left for dead like seriously left behind.

Infact I can back this up further with a example of track driving.

Millteks 400hp time attack golf mk6 vs the 420hp mk6 golf R of rothe Motorsport. Both had pro drivers, both on direzzas, but the golf R was 0.6 of a sec quicker around hockeheim even though it was 220kg heavier.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 07:46:25 pm »
That's a lot of apples and oranges there. EVO has very sophisticated 4WD, Haldex isn't.

Race cars? Whole different kettle of fish.

I tried to pick 2 cars with essentially the same DNA, I maintain me in an S3 and similar power GTI as above, GTI quicker.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:50:03 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 08:12:32 pm »
Blimey lot of bickering going on here. I may be to help or (stir) things up a little. It all depends on the car setup aswell as weight not just this 4wdnonsense on track. As proved with the spectators being milltek and kpm racing on track at castle combe. I was up against a fully loaded 650bhp gtr with go pro footage and just kept reeling it in lap after lap with no issues, mainly down to the traction and weight of my car. Its all about this imho not just about what power you have and how many wheels are being driven. Thats my (facts) and its as simple as that no arguments or whos bigger than who just proven recorded stats.  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 08:35:13 pm »
What has all this got to do with the New S3 pricing? :laugh:

Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 08:42:29 pm »
I've quickly re-read the whole thread and the answer is...

Badger.

HTH  :laugh:
Sideways yo!

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:05 pm »
I'll do the lot of ya in my ed35, I has supper chips...  :laugh: