Make a donation

Author Topic: New S3 pricing released  (Read 8054 times)

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: New S3 pricing released
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2013, 01:01:24 pm »
Not really fair comparing second hand cars, who wants a coxster anyway?

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2013, 01:56:59 pm »
Interesting debate this - even if it has gone a bit OT..  :grin:

Quich question though... Why are F1 cars rear wheel drive if 4WD is meant to be better road AND track?

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2013, 01:58:36 pm »
Or.... a really nice 2nd hand Boxster for 30K. I know where my money would be going.

2nd hand vs new, sports coupe vs a family hot hatch.. Different markets entirely.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2013, 03:07:57 pm »
This could go on forever! Fan boys arguing each corner :signLOL: awd is great providing its split more to the rear :laugh: but I would agree that awd as a family car in uk is prob more useful, and lots will buy the s3 because of this as apposed to the bm. As for price we all moan about new car prices these days as they all seem overpriced really. 
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline benj1989

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Re: New S3 pricing released
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 04:32:26 pm »
I thought awd was 50/50 like a Scooby and 4x4 is 40% front 60% rear?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 04:35:44 pm »
Interesting debate this - even if it has gone a bit OT..  :grin:

Quich question though... Why are F1 cars rear wheel drive if 4WD is meant to be better road AND track?

Its banned, got banned around the 80's i think. Think it all stems from when teams tried cars with six wheels but not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:42:15 pm by Jamie3184 »

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 04:53:48 pm »

No, S3s use a haldex system so the majority of the time they are only FWD until slip is detected on the front wheels  :happy2:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 05:20:54 pm »

By awd I meant all four wheels driven, not any particular system
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »

4WD in f1 was banned in 1969. Alot of the top teams flirted with the 4wd system, although its was really under-developed, no one put their full weight behind it, a bit like the turbo era, until renault did and after a few dismal years started to dominate and everyone followed suit. Porsche f1 had a system in 1948 in which the driver could switch from 2wd to 4wd from corner to corner.

Having said all that, im not sure F1's current age of super aero development would benefit from 4wd, its definetly alot more applicable to cars that dont benefit much from aero downforce.

Audis lemans hybrids are technically 4wd under max power also as the motors are fitted to the front axle

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2013, 09:27:33 pm »
Interesting debate this - even if it has gone a bit OT..  :grin:

4WD in f1 was banned in 1969. Alot of the top teams flirted with the 4wd system, although its was really under-developed, no one put their full weight behind it, a bit like the turbo era, until renault did and after a few dismal years started to dominate and everyone followed suit. Porsche f1 had a system in 1948 in which the driver could switch from 2wd to 4wd from corner to corner.

Having said all that, im not sure F1's current age of super aero development would benefit from 4wd, its definetly alot more applicable to cars that dont benefit much from aero downforce.

Audis lemans hybrids are technically 4wd under max power also as the motors are fitted to the front axle

Lotus had a 4wd F1 car sometime in the 70's and it was williams 6 wheeled car in the 80's that got 4wd banned.

Offline GTI50009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2013, 03:21:38 pm »
I still prefer the mk2!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:50 pm »
All I have to say is .....R32...... Fastest car in the known universe....and 4WD.  :innocent:
Golf R gone.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:25 pm »

Ahh, they ban the fun... didn't they have a NO LIMITS Boosted engine in F1 at one point... and the Rally ERA of Audi Quattros kicking out 6/700bhp. :driver: :jumping:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
1400bhp, back in the 80's in qualifying trim.

Of course the engine would only last around 3 hours, much like APRs work.
Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2013, 11:48:11 pm »

Ahh, they ban the fun... didn't they have a NO LIMITS Boosted engine in F1 at one point... and the Rally ERA of Audi Quattros kicking out 6/700bhp. :driver: :jumping:

Yeah all the best racing was in the 80's and early 90, when it was less aero dependent, and the tree huggers/red tape police weren't so heavily involved. Audi apparently even had a 1000hp mid engine Quattro prototype in development until group B was scrapped.

If only there was a return of the glory days.