Make a donation

Author Topic: Road legal slicks  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Road legal slicks
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:35 pm »
i thought toyo were bringing out another semi slick tyre rated just below the R888s that were better in the wet and a little closer to road spec.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 10:21:07 pm »
Can the Toyos be used for normail day-to-day driving?  Being a tart I like the tread pattern.  Will they last a while - or do they just wear out after a couple of hundred miles?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 10:37:19 pm »
friend with an evo has r888s his lasted 7500 miles with a few track days thrown in, but even he says its a no no in the wet. he put me off getting them myself.

im sure driven normally in the wet they will bve fine until you hit standing ater then you are fooked.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »
Over the years I've run Yoko's, Toyo's and Dunlop's on my Golf's including slick's.

My advice is these tyres should only be used for track only unless you can afford to use and change them on a regular basis. They will NOT offer good traction in extremely wet conditions although if you get some heat into them they will grip well in damp conditions.

The Toyo's are the softest and will degrade heavily on the shoulders and don't have such a hard sidewall. They grip well when hot but can go off quikly on a hot trackday likewise the A0048 Yoko's.

The better of these are Dunlop D01j's. I've been using these for the last 4 yrs and they have a much better wear rate. I managed to get a load of ex VW Cup 235x40x 18's tyres and ran them on my 350BHP MKIV. I am now running  my re mapped ED30 on KW Clubsports. I've yet to run the car on the KW's on track with these tyres but I did in July at Combe on the RS day on stock suspension....worked very well although with the KW's it will be in another league I suspect. They really help with traction that a diff would otherwise compensate on road rubber. Ultimately you would run a diff though if money no object.

I'll let you know if any slightly used cup tyres become available.

Ian
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:57:06 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 11:02:33 pm »
what about other options though. not got any experience in track rubber and what is best only what i have read
 but there are

kumho
hankook
yokohoma
goodyear
toyo dunlop

all produce road legal track tyres

absolutley no ideas what sort of compound, or how hard wearing or grippy they are. anybody care to take over there :stupid:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 11:23:26 pm »

Captain Sensible here! Best to take Msportsman's advice and take a trolley jack and a spare set of wheels already fitted with track rubber - Easy to carry if you put the back seats down.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:32:12 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 11:36:52 pm »
at the moment im happy on vredesteins at the. loadsa grip, but i eventually plan on entering time trials in mine and ill be needing sticky rubber thats why im interested. fine.

got a large shopping llist before hand though

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 10:23:43 am »
Another question... my car currently has 225/40/18.  Could I put on 235/40/18 on the same rims without problems?

Anyone got photos of 235s on would be greatly appreciated

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 10:28:26 am »
You're just p***ing money up the wall running them on the road.

Those Dunlops Ian mentioned are superb, I'd forgotten about them - friend of mine runs them on his LCR track car and over the past 5-6 years of ownership they're the best he's found. I think they suit a heavier car.  

Again, this is all down to personal preference in terms of feel/grip and how you drive. Start sawing at the wheel and driving like you're in a Bond film, you've got a very expensive day on your hands no matter what you've bought.
Sideways yo!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:08 am »
Another question... my car currently has 225/40/18.  Could I put on 235/40/18 on the same rims without problems?

Anyone got photos of 235s on would be greatly appreciated

Yes you can use those tyres on your present rims with issues. Only thing to change will be your overall gearing as the rolling circumference of the 235s is slightly greater than the 225s.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 11:18:19 am »
What do you mean the gearing will change?

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 12:09:22 pm »
Over the years I've run Yoko's, Toyo's and Dunlop's on my Golf's including slick's.

My advice is these tyres should only be used for track only unless you can afford to use and change them on a regular basis. They will NOT offer good traction in extremely wet conditions although if you get some heat into them they will grip well in damp conditions.

The Toyo's are the softest and will degrade heavily on the shoulders and don't have such a hard sidewall. They grip well when hot but can go off quikly on a hot trackday likewise the A0048 Yoko's.

The better of these are Dunlop D01j's. I've been using these for the last 4 yrs and they have a much better wear rate. I managed to get a load of ex VW Cup 235x40x 18's tyres and ran them on my 350BHP MKIV. I am now running  my re mapped ED30 on KW Clubsports. I've yet to run the car on the KW's on track with these tyres but I did in July at Combe on the RS day on stock suspension....worked very well although with the KW's it will be in another league I suspect. They really help with traction that a diff would otherwise compensate on road rubber. Ultimately you would run a diff though if money no object.

I'll let you know if any slightly used cup tyres become available.

Ian

The D01Js used to be wicked when we used to run them in VW cup...

Shame they have stopped making them now tho  :confused:
12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 12:37:05 pm »
Are the Dunlop DZ02G's as good?
Sideways yo!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 01:14:57 pm »

With the 235s the mph/1000rpm will  be slightly increased vs the 225s.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 09:48:29 pm »

With the 235s the mph/1000rpm will  be slightly increased vs the 225s.

you've got that mixed up there mate.

circumference will not change at all. the aspect ratio is still 40. 225 or 235 merely states the width of the tyre.

17 inch tyres use the 45mm aspect ratio, 18" use 40mm, and 19" use 35mm irrelevent of width

Meaning a 17 inch tyre with 225/45R17tyre will have exactly the same circummference and MPH/1000 as a 245/35R19 tyre.

HTH