Make a donation

Author Topic: Drive Line Knock......  (Read 1110 times)

farmerste

Drive Line Knock......
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:20:52 am »
Help!
I have a '08, manual Gti,
In the last few week there has a knock started at low engine speeds and getting worse over time (1000- 2500rpm) when running in gear, knock it out of gear or dump the clutch and it goes, any higher than 2500rpm ish and its a whine that gets higher with engine revs. The actual traveling speed of the car has no effect, does it in every gear. there is no juddering or any effect on the performance or feel of the car. The car has only done 36000 miles is it the dreaded DMF or something a miss with the clutch or gearbox? the local VW stealers seem to think it was the DMF when i called them this morning? Would the DMF not knock all the time if it was at fault whether the clutch was in or out???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as i'm worried if i take it to any garage they would blame the DMF straight away change it and it makes no difference.
Cheers

farmerste

Re: Drive Line Knock......
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »
for anybody that gives a sh*t, it was the end carrier bearing on the input shaft that had gone. 2 Differential bearings look worn and getting them changed too. Clutch and DMF getting changed whilst its on the ramps as precaution.